Settings- Red X's on webpage instead of icons

Don't know if this is a security issue or not but think it has to do with my
settings in Internet Explorer. I have Version 6 and use Windows XP. Whenever
I go to www.real.com to try to download Realplayer, I get red X's instead of
icons so I'm not able to click on the Download icon. Hopefully, someone here
can be more helpful than customer service at Real Player.

I also have a laptop with Windows 2000. It has no problem getting to the
site and performing the download. I've compared IE settings between the two
computers but they're somewhat different and I can't find a solution.

Please help. Thanks.

Monrog,

Why bother with Real Player when you can use Real Alternative :
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
or
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23205,00.asp

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Monrog wrote:

> Don't know if this is a security issue or not but think it has to do with my
> settings in Internet Explorer. I have Version 6 and use Windows XP. Whenever
> I go to www.real.com to try to download Realplayer, I get red X's instead of
> icons so I'm not able to click on the Download icon. Hopefully, someone here
> can be more helpful than customer service at Real Player.
>
> I also have a laptop with Windows 2000. It has no problem getting to the
> site and performing the download. I've compared IE settings between the two
> computers but they're somewhat different and I can't find a solution.
>
> Please help. Thanks.

Thanks, your response was very helpful, especially for future reference.
Still, realalternative won't play the files I want it to play (ram files),
saying the files may be corrupt. Of course it may really be that the files
are corrupt, but I'd still like to try to download Realplayer and see if it
will play them.

This brings me back to my original problem...those darned red X's. Do you
know why I'm getting them? It's not the site because I don't get them on my
laptop. Do you know what settings I need to adjust, either in Internet
Explorer or Windows XP?

Thanks for your help.

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

> Monrog,
>
> Why bother with Real Player when you can use Real Alternative :
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Real_Alternative.htm
> or
> http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,23205,00.asp
>
> MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Monrog wrote:
>
> > Don't know if this is a security issue or not but think it has to do with my
> > settings in Internet Explorer. I have Version 6 and use Windows XP. Whenever
> > I go to www.real.com to try to download Realplayer, I get red X's instead of
> > icons so I'm not able to click on the Download icon. Hopefully, someone here
> > can be more helpful than customer service at Real Player.
> >
> > I also have a laptop with Windows 2000. It has no problem getting to the
> > site and performing the download. I've compared IE settings between the two
> > computers but they're somewhat different and I can't find a solution.
> >
> > Please help. Thanks.

You're welcome. Are the .ram files on your system ? RealAlt will play
..ram files if they're not corrupted. ;)

If the system in question is only getting Red X's at real.com then it's
a site specific issue, not related to the system. Have a look here for
further clues :

I can't see JPG's or GIFS any more - red x - images missing / fuzzy
images/distorted images
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#jpg_gif

You could also try installing the RealPlayer plugin for IE from here:
http://www.serebra.net/plugins/RealPlayer.html

MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten