The New Improved Dog's Ball Post

Okay. I brought some old Ball posts back up with my replies, but
figured it's been a month since they were active. So here's where I'm
at with it and I want to know if you guys have gotten any farther since
the last posts.

Quick note, quicksaves=Ball saves! Fire, explosion, and water
submersion Destroy it. Let's get this thing to the END!

Post Paste:
Any1 else Get Dog's Ball past the water hole?

Why would you want to? Well, for one you have the perfect gravity gun
ammo. It comes back to you on it's own, it's fairly small (not too
cumbersome) so you can wield it fairly easily (except for the issues
discussed below), AND BEST OF ALL, when it's on the ground it moves
around (toward zombies and stuff) and they are distracted by it and
attack IT instead of YOU. It's pretty cool as you enter the Ravenholm
graveyard!

I have done my best to get Dog's ball to the end of the game. Alas,
though I got it passed several difficult game bugs (invisible walls)
and got it under water, and kept it on my buggy, I have been beaten by
the broken window.

(If you've tried you probably know what I mean)

I have gotten Dog's ball all the way to the room overlooking the last
(i think) ant-lion Queen, in the room with the pillars that you can
break apart... The over looking room has bullet (and rocket and grenade
and crowbar and fast moving blunt object, and crossbow bolt) proof
windows, one of which has a small hole you can duck to crawl through
then fall down. In this hole there is an invisible barrier which allows
you and any other object through, EXCEPT for Dog's ball. Has anyone got
the ball passed this?

Here's what I've tried:
I have tried all cieling holes in the area and gotten on the "roof"
outside of the games design (seeing through stuff walking in space
etc.) but all of these areas are confined by invisible barriers as
well, so I can't get near the ball this way.

I've tride pushing, launching, and pulling it through, with the gravity
gun

I got on the light fixture (outside and higher than the window) and
tried to pull the ball out that way (different angle).

I took one of the rolling light-weight kitchen carts and set it on a
stove (I think) at the window and put Dog's ball in the cart that I use
as a "cage" and then try to blow the cart out the window with the
gravity gun (cart alone WILL go out this window) but the ball stops it.

I even teater-tottered an upsidedown desk, hanging out the window so
that with the ball blocked onto the desk (with shelves and stuff) it
can only come towards me. As I move out along the desk it tilts down
from my weight, and lifts the side the ball is on. I try to gravity it
and the ball stops, as usual, at the invisible window, but I had hoped
that the desk would pry it out. It doesn't. So I end up standing on the
leg of the upsidedown desk 2 feet out of the window and 3 feet down,
while the top of the desk is held by the ball which is pinched between
the desk and the invisible wall.

I admit my loss for ideas except for one which I just thought of and
will take too long to write, and probably won't work. So if any gaming
geniuses out there would like to help me out here, that would be sweet.

Or valve could perhaps fix the invisible windows and doors in the game
via an update

Spoilers:
If you want to figure out the ball obstacles yourself, don't read
below.

Hint: When taking the ball on the buggy ride (after the crane drops you
and you're clear of ant lions and have a minute) clime on the front of
the buggy and place the ball on the roof (over center of gravity) and
get in quickly. The secret is having the ball centered (L to R) so it
doesn't mess up your steering too much, and not to far foreward or
rearward so as to bounce that end of your car too far into the air.

Hint: When you go over the chain link fence (rafters) and drop down and
you have to go down that square hole in the ground and land in the
water, you have to (w/ grav gun) shoot the ball upwards (against the
wall) as you fall, then surface and catch the ball w/ the grav gun.
Then hug the ceiling underwater as you submerge.

Hint: You can't take the ball through the doorway at the bottom of the
lighthouse (leading to the cliff walk on your way to getting the bug
juice) So throw the ball into the cave as you look over the cliff
before you enter the lighthouse.

Hint: In one hallway there is an invisible wall preventing the ball
from passing. As you move along the hallway w/out the ball the roof
caves in over that point and you get a load screen. So walk passed the
invisible wall and grav the ball as you walk backwards. Make sure you
have it gravitied towards you when the roof colapses, and then you
should get a load screen and you'll see the ball in the ruble. Pick it
up and continue.

> Hint: When taking the ball on the <snip>

As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...

Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?

shawk

Colin Wilson wrote:
>>Hint: When taking the ball on the <snip>
>

> As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...
>
> Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?

No spoilers Colin but you don't actually 'need' it at all. It is useful
however for the reasons Nate said.

The 'ball' is something that you use to practise with the gravity gun
when you first get it. The ball follows you. Someone (sorry - can't
remember who to give credit to) found that you could take it into the
next level with you and there then developed a little informal
competition as to who could take it the farthest through the game.

Sounds to me like Nate is winning hands down but four posts telling us
that is just rubbing it in... ;-)

--
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity."

Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Colin Wilson"

> As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...
>
> Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?

Nate93 did write why you "need" Dogs ball
4th paragraph

Gives the game another dimension

- Peter

Because it's THERE, we all know it's a dirty job but it's gotta be
done... :)

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:47:52 -0000, Colon Wilson <void@btinternet.com>
wrote:

>> Hint: When taking the ball on the <snip>
>
>As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...
>
>Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!

rat

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2004

"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Hint: When taking the ball on the <snip>
>
> As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...
>
> Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?

CRIKEY!! Erm... I don't think you're allowed to post in here if you haven't
played it y'know... we have standards to maintain and there are folk around
to make sure that they are, so if anyone asks just say that you haven't got
that far yet ok, and you *might* get away with it. You can thank me later.

;-)
But surrealously, go play it!!
(You *have* played HL original haven't you....??)
/gulps in nervous anticipation..

;-))
rat

Killah Gorillah wrote:

> Has anyone tried figuring out how to spawn a new Dog's ball? Not the
> same kind of challenge as taking the original a long way, but a great

> way to learn about NPC/entity variables.

I think you can do it with Garry's Mod. Not sure how much you'd learn
about the variables by spawning in-game. You'd need to open the entity
in Hammer to see all that.

Nate93 wrote:

> Okay. I brought some old Ball posts back up with my replies, but
> figured it's been a month since they were active. So here's where I'm
> at with it and I want to know if you guys have gotten any farther since
> the last posts.

Has anyone tried figuring out how to spawn a new Dog's ball? Not the
same kind of challenge as taking the original a long way, but a great
way to learn about NPC/entity variables.

> CRIKEY!! Erm... I don't think you're allowed to post in here if you haven't
> played it y'know... we have standards to maintain and there are folk around
> to make sure that they are, so if anyone asks just say that you haven't got
> that far yet ok, and you *might* get away with it. You can thank me later.

<gulp> ok :-}

> But surrealously, go play it!!

I tried the demo and found it was quite glitchy on my system - I also
dislike Steam intensely, so haven`t bought for both those reasons.

I also think its time they dropped authentication for the original HL and
let people play with impunity :p

> (You *have* played HL original haven't you....??)
> /gulps in nervous anticipation..

LOL

Natural Selection for several hours a day - does that count ? ;-)

"Colin Wilson" wrote

> I also think its time they dropped authentication for the original HL and
> let people play with impunity :p

You can just set up your own insecure server
Nohing is really stopping you

Insecure servers for CS 1.5 is up and running afaik

- Peter

"Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Colin Wilson"
>
>> As someone who hasn`t played HL2, this sounds SO surreal...
>>
>> Can I ask what the hell you need it for btw ?
>>
> Nate93 did write why you "need" Dogs ball
> 4th paragraph
>
> Gives the game another dimension

And since Nate93 probably comes from another dimension that could be useful
:)

> > I also think its time they dropped authentication for the original HL and
> > let people play with impunity :p
> You can just set up your own insecure server
> Nohing is really stopping you
> Insecure servers for CS 1.5 is up and running afaik

The I thought the original HL still tried to authenticate via WON, and
any steam games authenticated through steam...

Oh well, perhaps there _is_ a god :)

"Colin Wilson" wrote

> Oh well, perhaps there _is_ a god :)

Depends :)
These guides are for CS 1.5 or CS 1.6

You can disable the WON authentication on eg hlds running on a linux box

4.1.0.8/4.1.0.9/4.1.1.0
http://cs.kaputtendorf.de/downloads/nowon/

4.1.1.1
http://www.zvdk.nl/1.5/english.php

- Peter

> These guides are for CS 1.5 or CS 1.6
> You can disable the WON authentication on eg hlds running on a linux box
> 4.1.0.8/4.1.0.9/4.1.1.0
> http://cs.kaputtendorf.de/downloads/nowon/
> 4.1.1.1
> http://www.zvdk.nl/1.5/english.php