8xAGP running at 4x

I have a motherboard that supports 8x agp, I have check my bios and 8x
agp is enabled. I have an ati radeon 9600xt grpahics card that
supports 8x agp, my problem is that all test I do on my machine
suggest that it is not running to full capacity.

In the ATI (smartgart) control panel agp is listed as off, each time i
try to change to either 4 or 8x it reverts back to off.

I have also loaded 3dmark05 to benchmark my machine, the scores that i
get are less than half of those that other machines with my set up
have. 3dmark05 also tells me that although my system supports 8X AGP
that only 4x is enabled. I have spoken with the makers of my machine
a number of times, they have even changed the graphice card, but I am
still not able to achieve 8x AGP. Does anyone have any expereince of
this problem, is anyone able to help, suggest how i handle this one?
I am hoping to upgrade my card to the 9800xt but am not too happy
about doing that if it is only going to operate at 4x agp

Many thanks

Motherboard is Leadteck (WinFAst) K7 NCR18.
I did install the chipset drivers and have done so again with latest
drivers downloaded from manufactures website
I do not have an AGP bridge in my device manager - could that be the
problem - how can I solve it?

My system is above motherbaord with nvidia chipset
512MB Ram
AMD Athalon XP2600
Windows XP
ATI Radeon 9600XT

Wazza

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

What motherboard and did you install the chipset drivers?
This is what usually allows the card to operate at full speed.
You should really include more details of your PC to help troubleshooting.

"shmortz" <jamie.morton@rocketmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a motherboard that supports 8x agp, I have check my bios and 8x
> agp is enabled. I have an ati radeon 9600xt grpahics card that
> supports 8x agp, my problem is that all test I do on my machine
> suggest that it is not running to full capacity.
>
> In the ATI (smartgart) control panel agp is listed as off, each time i
> try to change to either 4 or 8x it reverts back to off.
>
> I have also loaded 3dmark05 to benchmark my machine, the scores that i
> get are less than half of those that other machines with my set up
> have. 3dmark05 also tells me that although my system supports 8X AGP
> that only 4x is enabled. I have spoken with the makers of my machine
> a number of times, they have even changed the graphice card, but I am
> still not able to achieve 8x AGP. Does anyone have any expereince of
> this problem, is anyone able to help, suggest how i handle this one?
> I am hoping to upgrade my card to the 9800xt but am not too happy
> about doing that if it is only going to operate at 4x agp
>
> Many thanks

shawk

jamie.morton@rocketmail.com wrote:
> Motherboard is Leadteck (WinFAst) K7 NCR18.
> I did install the chipset drivers and have done so again with latest
> drivers downloaded from manufactures website
> I do not have an AGP bridge in my device manager - could that be the
> problem - how can I solve it?
>
> My system is above motherbaord with nvidia chipset
> 512MB Ram
> AMD Athalon XP2600
> Windows XP
> ATI Radeon 9600XT

Yup - no AGP bridge - no AGP. Try the NVidia mobo drivers from the
NVidia site. For some reason your AGP driver isn't loaded properly. Shaun