Trouble installing Connect 3D radeon 9600

I've just got a Connect 3D Radeon 9600 256MB AGP 4x/8x to replace my
old GeForce2. I'm using Windows ME. When I try to install the driver I
get an error message saying "Severe: Setup was unable to complete the
installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA
driver before running setup". That's all it says. It doesn't give any
error codes.

The New Hardware wizard detects the card as a PCI card and installs the
following adapters:

Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)

Windows won't let me install the Standard VGA Adapter as it says it
conflicts with other devices, and if I try to install it anyway it just
gets disabled. There seems to be no way of stopping it installing the
above PCI adapters.

I've downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers. I'm using
a Gigabyte GA7VTXE with a VIA KT266A chipset. Is it the case that the
chipset is just too old and can't cope with a Radeon 9600?

I've tried doing a fresh install of Windows in a clean partition but
still get exactly the same problem.

Any ideas?

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

<ngroups@4-lom.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a Connect 3D Radeon 9600 256MB AGP 4x/8x to replace my
> old GeForce2. I'm using Windows ME. When I try to install the driver I
> get an error message saying "Severe: Setup was unable to complete the
> installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA
> driver before running setup". That's all it says. It doesn't give any
> error codes.
>
> The New Hardware wizard detects the card as a PCI card and installs the
> following adapters:
>
> Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
> Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
>
> Windows won't let me install the Standard VGA Adapter as it says it
> conflicts with other devices, and if I try to install it anyway it just
> gets disabled. There seems to be no way of stopping it installing the
> above PCI adapters.
>
> I've downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers. I'm using
> a Gigabyte GA7VTXE with a VIA KT266A chipset. Is it the case that the
> chipset is just too old and can't cope with a Radeon 9600?
>
> I've tried doing a fresh install of Windows in a clean partition but
> still get exactly the same problem.
>
> Any ideas?

the last official ATI driver that supported Windows ME was the
4.3s - if youre trying a newer driver or 3rd party driver - dont.
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wme-catalyst-7-991-040224m-013831c.exe

> the last official ATI driver that supported Windows ME was the
> 4.3s - if youre trying a newer driver or 3rd party driver - dont.
> http://www2.ati.com/drivers/wme-catalyst-7-991-040224m-013831c.exe

Correct answer! It works fine with 4.3. Thanks a lot. :) My 24 hours of
hell are over.

And sarcastic thanks to ATI and Connect 3D for lying about which OSes
were supported by the newer drivers...

Which driver did you initially try to install, the 4.10? The 4.3 drivers do
have some bugs in games (such as corrupted textures in Far Cry).

<ngroups@4-lom.com> wrote in message
> I've just got a Connect 3D Radeon 9600 256MB AGP 4x/8x to replace my
> old GeForce2. I'm using Windows ME. When I try to install the driver I
> get an error message saying "Severe: Setup was unable to complete the
> installation. Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA
> driver before running setup". That's all it says. It doesn't give any
> error codes.
>
> The New Hardware wizard detects the card as a PCI card and installs the
> following adapters:
>
> Standard PCI Graphics Adapter
> Standard PCI Graphics Adapter (VGA)
>
> Windows won't let me install the Standard VGA Adapter as it says it
> conflicts with other devices, and if I try to install it anyway it just
> gets disabled. There seems to be no way of stopping it installing the
> above PCI adapters.
>
> I've downloaded and installed the latest motherboard drivers. I'm using
> a Gigabyte GA7VTXE with a VIA KT266A chipset. Is it the case that the
> chipset is just too old and can't cope with a Radeon 9600?
>
> I've tried doing a fresh install of Windows in a clean partition but
> still get exactly the same problem.
>
> Any ideas?

I don't actually know which version it was as it was on the CD which
shipped with the card, and there was only a Connect 3D version number
(8.4) on the CD which bears no relation to ATI version numbers.

I haven't got any new games to play on it yet, but it's working well
with older games. I can now run MOHAA with all settings at max very
smoothly.

For the last three video cards I owned, I think their included CDs are still
sealed in the paper envelopes. :)

Anyway, if all the games are working for you, stick with it. When you
encounter something that doesn't work, try the latest drivers off ATi's web
site.

BTW, to uninstall an existing driver, look for AtiCimUn.Exe, found in the
folder where the drivers were initially extracted (by default it's
C:\ATi\Support\<driver serial #>\)