RECOVERY OF ENCRYPTED DATA

After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
data in the two new profiles.
a) not protected data- no problem at all
b) protected data- I cannot open it.
What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
data in it, but I cannot open it

First...there is no such thing as Office XP Home. There is Windows XP
(Home, Professional and x64), and there is Microsoft Office. They are
completely separate things.

If your files were not encrypted, you simply need to take ownership. You
can find detailed instructions on how to do this by clicking on start, click
on Help and Support, and typing "Take Ownership" in the search box.

If the files were encrypted, and you did not save your encryption keys, then
the files are *NOT* recoverable.

Bobby

Mvm wrote:
> After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
> HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
> data in the two new profiles.
> a) not protected data- no problem at all
> b) protected data- I cannot open it.
> What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
> data in it, but I cannot open it

Encrypted... Or just "Access Denied".. Unclear...
(You use the word "encrypted", but never really mention EFS.. And you do
mention HOME edition XP, although you throw the word OFFICE in there as
well, so that confuses matters more.)

As long as EFS is not involved:

How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
on a shared folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

--
--
The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

"Mvm" <martino.moreno@gmail.com> wrote in message
> After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
> HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
> data in the two new profiles.
> a) not protected data- no problem at all
> b) protected data- I cannot open it.
> What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
> data in it, but I cannot open it

If you meant to say you installed Windows XP Home and the files are
encrypted with efs than you will not be able to access them. Windows XP Home
does not support efs. If you have Windows XP Pro then the easiest way would
be to reset the old hard drive as the master and boot up from it with the
old installation of windows. Unencrypt the files and save them to a CD or
another directory.

If you aren't able to boot from the old hard drive and you did not save the
keys and certificates used to encrypt the files then in all likelihood you
have lost that data.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/5min/5min-401.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_awzg.asp

If efs is not involved then please restate your problem so we can help you
further.

Kerry

NoNoBadDog! wrote:

> (snip)
> If the files were encrypted, and you did not save your encryption
> keys, then the files are *NOT* recoverable.
Hi,

What you state above is not always correct, there are some other cases
where you will be able to recover the encryption certificate without
needing to logon to the original installation.

If you can obtain some files from the user profile folders for the
user that encrypted the files and if you remember the password for the
user when the backup was taken, you might be able to save the files.

Take a look at this site for more details:

http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: