RECOVERY OF ENCRYPTED DATA

After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
data in the two new profiles.
a) not protected data- no problem at all
b) protected data- I cannot open it.
What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
data in it, but I cannot open it
4 answers Last reply
More about recovery encrypted data

    First...there is no such thing as Office XP Home. There is Windows XP
    (Home, Professional and x64), and there is Microsoft Office. They are
    completely separate things.

    If your files were not encrypted, you simply need to take ownership. You
    can find detailed instructions on how to do this by clicking on start, click
    on Help and Support, and typing "Take Ownership" in the search box.

    If the files were encrypted, and you did not save your encryption keys, then
    the files are *NOT* recoverable.

    Bobby

    Mvm wrote:
    > After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
    > HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
    > data in the two new profiles.
    > a) not protected data- no problem at all
    > b) protected data- I cannot open it.
    > What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
    > data in it, but I cannot open it

    Encrypted... Or just "Access Denied".. Unclear...
    (You use the word "encrypted", but never really mention EFS.. And you do
    mention HOME edition XP, although you throw the word OFFICE in there as
    well, so that confuses matters more.)

    As long as EFS is not involved:

    How to Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    How to disable simplified sharing & set permissions
    on a shared folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307874

    --
    --
    The information above is intended to assist you; however, it is
    suggested you research for yourself before you take any advice - you

    "Mvm" <martino.moreno@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > After the installation of a new hard disk I had to reinstal Office XP
    > HOME. Reinstalling it I created two new users, and tried to import old
    > data in the two new profiles.
    > a) not protected data- no problem at all
    > b) protected data- I cannot open it.
    > What can I do? I still have a copy of my olt hard disk with all the
    > data in it, but I cannot open it

    If you meant to say you installed Windows XP Home and the files are
    encrypted with efs than you will not be able to access them. Windows XP Home
    does not support efs. If you have Windows XP Pro then the easiest way would
    be to reset the old hard drive as the master and boot up from it with the
    old installation of windows. Unencrypt the files and save them to a CD or
    another directory.

    If you aren't able to boot from the old hard drive and you did not save the
    keys and certificates used to encrypt the files then in all likelihood you
    have lost that data.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/5min/5min-401.mspx

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/reskit/en-us/prnb_efs_awzg.asp

    If efs is not involved then please restate your problem so we can help you
    further.

    Kerry

    NoNoBadDog! wrote:

    > (snip)
    > If the files were encrypted, and you did not save your encryption
    > keys, then the files are *NOT* recoverable.
    Hi,

    What you state above is not always correct, there are some other cases
    where you will be able to recover the encryption certificate without
    needing to logon to the original installation.

    If you can obtain some files from the user profile folders for the
    user that encrypted the files and if you remember the password for the
    user when the backup was taken, you might be able to save the files.

    Take a look at this site for more details:

    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Data Recovery Hard Drives Windows XP