What's with the funky power cord on iPAQ 5555

April 28, 2004 1:28:56 AM

I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went to
plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered that
the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which are
useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...

Heidi
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:28:57 AM

The adapter should be in the box the 5555 came in.

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went to
> plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered that
> the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which are
> useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
>
> Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:28:57 AM

They were attempting to give you two ways too charge.

If the computer you are docking with has USB 2.0 ports then you do not need
the AC power cord plugged into it. This then allows the AC power cord when
used with the supplied adapter to be used an alternate way to charge the
device.

For those unlucky folks that are still running USB 1.0 ports they need the
AC cord to be plugged into the cradle in order to charge.

HP was simply trying to make the package contents more flexible. I agree
that they could have changed the plug on the end to one that would plug into
the cradle and the device without the adapter. My guess is that this a power
cord that they are using on other HP products.

Craig Enders

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went to
> plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered that
> the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which
are
> useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
>
> Heidi

April 28, 2004 3:00:22 AM

The adapter is in the box. I guess my question was why it is necessary at
all. The older iPAQ's could connect directly to the power cord. The new
one has the same connector, for use when in the cradle, but the power cord
doesn't fit into it. Instead you must use the adapter with the more fragile
connector. Just doesn't seem practical.
Heidi H

> The adapter should be in the box the 5555 came in.
>
> --
> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...
rights...

> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went
> > plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered
that
> > the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> > Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which
are
> > useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
> >
> > Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:00:23 AM

A design issue I guess...

--

> The adapter is in the box. I guess my question was why it is necessary at
> all. The older iPAQ's could connect directly to the power cord. The new
> one has the same connector, for use when in the cradle, but the power cord
> doesn't fit into it. Instead you must use the adapter with the more fragile
> connector. Just doesn't seem practical.
> Heidi H
>
> "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message
>> The adapter should be in the box the 5555 came in.
>>
>> --
>> Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

> benefit of all of us...
> rights...
>>
>> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> >I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went
>> > plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered
> that
>> > the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
>> > Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which
> are
>> > useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
>> >
>> > Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:34:57 AM

Thanks, Craig. At least that is an explanation. And I can tell you from
experience that the cord IS used for other products (my old 3630 is one of
them...). However, I did not realize that I was charging while plugged into
the USB 2.0 slot, so thanks for the heads up. I will just take the adapter
home to use in the evenings!

"Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> They were attempting to give you two ways too charge.
>
> If the computer you are docking with has USB 2.0 ports then you do not
need
> the AC power cord plugged into it. This then allows the AC power cord when
> used with the supplied adapter to be used an alternate way to charge the
> device.
>
> For those unlucky folks that are still running USB 1.0 ports they need the
> AC cord to be plugged into the cradle in order to charge.
>
> HP was simply trying to make the package contents more flexible. I agree
> that they could have changed the plug on the end to one that would plug
into
> the cradle and the device without the adapter. My guess is that this a
power
> cord that they are using on other HP products.
>
> Craig Enders
>
> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went
> > plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered
that
> > the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> > Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which
> are
> > useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
> >
> > Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:34:58 AM

The USB 2.0 charging needs to be activated. If I recall right the default is
off.

To activate go to Start/Settings/System/Power/USB Charging. You may need to
soft reset in order for the change to take, can't remember. I use the fast
charge. Not sure the exact difference between fast and slow, maybe someone
else can tells us.

Good luck.

Craig Enders

> Thanks, Craig. At least that is an explanation. And I can tell you from
> experience that the cord IS used for other products (my old 3630 is one of
> them...). However, I did not realize that I was charging while plugged
into
> the USB 2.0 slot, so thanks for the heads up. I will just take the
adapter
> home to use in the evenings!
>

> "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > They were attempting to give you two ways too charge.
> >
> > If the computer you are docking with has USB 2.0 ports then you do not
> need
> > the AC power cord plugged into it. This then allows the AC power cord
when
> > used with the supplied adapter to be used an alternate way to charge the
> > device.
> >
> > For those unlucky folks that are still running USB 1.0 ports they need
the
> > AC cord to be plugged into the cradle in order to charge.
> >
> > HP was simply trying to make the package contents more flexible. I agree
> > that they could have changed the plug on the end to one that would plug
> into
> > the cradle and the device without the adapter. My guess is that this a
> power
> > cord that they are using on other HP products.
> >
> > Craig Enders
> >
> > "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I
went
> > > plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered
> that
> > > the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> > > Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords
which
> > are
> > > useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
> > >
> > > Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:23:05 AM

Wow, you were right. My default was off. I did need a soft reset, but
other than that I'm good to go.

I can't imagine what the difference between fast and slow would be, except
that my car charger is considered "fast" and my wall charger is "slow." But
when fully charged by either, the charge from the "slow" charger lasts
longer. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks for the tips!

Heidi

> The USB 2.0 charging needs to be activated. If I recall right the default
is
> off.
>
> To activate go to Start/Settings/System/Power/USB Charging. You may need
> soft reset in order for the change to take, can't remember. I use the fast
> charge. Not sure the exact difference between fast and slow, maybe someone
> else can tells us.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Craig Enders
>
> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Craig. At least that is an explanation. And I can tell you
from
> > experience that the cord IS used for other products (my old 3630 is one
of
> > them...). However, I did not realize that I was charging while plugged
> into
> > the USB 2.0 slot, so thanks for the heads up. I will just take the
> adapter
> > home to use in the evenings!
> >

> > "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > They were attempting to give you two ways too charge.
> > >
> > > If the computer you are docking with has USB 2.0 ports then you do not
> > need
> > > the AC power cord plugged into it. This then allows the AC power cord
> when
> > > used with the supplied adapter to be used an alternate way to charge
the
> > > device.
> > >
> > > For those unlucky folks that are still running USB 1.0 ports they need
> the
> > > AC cord to be plugged into the cradle in order to charge.
> > >
> > > HP was simply trying to make the package contents more flexible. I
agree
> > > that they could have changed the plug on the end to one that would
plug
> > into
> > > the cradle and the device without the adapter. My guess is that this a
> > power
> > > cord that they are using on other HP products.
> > >
> > > Craig Enders
> > >
> > > "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> went
> > that
> which
> > > are

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:26:35 AM

Heidi,

Others have mentioned that USB charging is an issue here.

What no one has yet mentioned is that there are third party cables you might
want to look at. I just picked up a USB sync & charge cable made by Belkin
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merc...

from my local Staples store for 19.95. It's wonderfully portable and, as a
nice added feature has a 'cigarette lighter' adapter which has a USB type
plug on the back half of it's face. So the cable can either be plugged in
to the USB port or into the cigarette lighter to charge your new iPaq. It
can also be used to sync as well and the end is permanent, not like the
wobbly, hope-it-holds connection between the power cord and the adapter.

I'm also a fairly recent convert from the original iPaqs. I moved up to a
5555 from a 3650 and am still using an old power cord for a spare.

Terry

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went to
> plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered that
> the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which
are
> useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...
>
> Heidi

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:13:49 AM

Extremely fragile. In fact the entire connector/cradle is really junk.
Very poor design.

Mitch

"Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
Instead you must use the adapter with the more fragile
> connector. Just doesn't seem practical.
> Heidi H
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 2:46:53 PM

Hello

Do you know if this can be done on the 2210? in terms of software, as this
ipaq does not have the feature of charging from the docking station without
a power supply connected.

Thanks
Naveed

--
Mr Naveed Qayyum

www.mnq.org.uk
> The USB 2.0 charging needs to be activated. If I recall right the default
is
> off.
>
> To activate go to Start/Settings/System/Power/USB Charging. You may need
> soft reset in order for the change to take, can't remember. I use the fast
> charge. Not sure the exact difference between fast and slow, maybe someone
> else can tells us.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Craig Enders
>
> "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Craig. At least that is an explanation. And I can tell you
from
> > experience that the cord IS used for other products (my old 3630 is one
of
> > them...). However, I did not realize that I was charging while plugged
> into
> > the USB 2.0 slot, so thanks for the heads up. I will just take the
> adapter
> > home to use in the evenings!
> >

> > "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > They were attempting to give you two ways too charge.
> > >
> > > If the computer you are docking with has USB 2.0 ports then you do not
> > need
> > > the AC power cord plugged into it. This then allows the AC power cord
> when
> > > used with the supplied adapter to be used an alternate way to charge
the
> > > device.
> > >
> > > For those unlucky folks that are still running USB 1.0 ports they need
> the
> > > AC cord to be plugged into the cradle in order to charge.
> > >
> > > HP was simply trying to make the package contents more flexible. I
agree
> > > that they could have changed the plug on the end to one that would
plug
> > into
> > > the cradle and the device without the adapter. My guess is that this a
> > power
> > > cord that they are using on other HP products.
> > >
> > > Craig Enders
> > >
> > > "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> went
> > that
> which
> > > are

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 8:14:59 PM

If I recall correctly the 2210 will not charge via a USB cable. It can only
charge by using the supplied AC adapter or an equivalent aftermarket
version.

Craig Enders

"MNQ" <corlioni1976REMOVE@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> Do you know if this can be done on the 2210? in terms of software, as this
> ipaq does not have the feature of charging from the docking station
without
> a power supply connected.
>
> Thanks
> Naveed
>
> --
> Mr Naveed Qayyum
>
> www.mnq.org.uk
> "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > The USB 2.0 charging needs to be activated. If I recall right the
default
> is
> > off.
> >
> > To activate go to Start/Settings/System/Power/USB Charging. You may need
> > soft reset in order for the change to take, can't remember. I use the
fast
> > charge. Not sure the exact difference between fast and slow, maybe
someone
> > else can tells us.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Craig Enders
> >
> > "Heidi Hunt" <huntesq@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Thanks, Craig. At least that is an explanation. And I can tell you
> from
> > > experience that the cord IS used for other products (my old 3630 is
one
> of
> > > them...). However, I did not realize that I was charging while
plugged
> > into
> > > the USB 2.0 slot, so thanks for the heads up. I will just take the
> > adapter
> > > home to use in the evenings!
> > >

> > > "Craig Enders" <craigenders@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > > need
> > when
> the

> > the

> agree
> plug
> > > into
> > > power

> > went
> discovered
> > > that
> > which

April 28, 2004 9:39:27 PM

Heidi Hunt wrote:

> I just upgraded from an iPAQ 3630 (dinosaur) to the h5555. When I went to
> plug it in, so I could tinker with it while powering up, I discovered that
> the power cord cannot connect with the device. It needs an adapter?
> Anybody know what the purpose for that is? I now have four cords which are
> useless unless I go buy adapters. Really bugged...

They plan use the same port for other devices, such as cameras?
!