Computer Auto Shutdown after Bios/During Windows Load

aburek

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hi All,

I previously posted on these forums a while back regarding some issues with overheating, and it was a great help, so here is a chance to help me again. The other day I started up my computer with intention of using it, and after it was all started and desktop was up we lost power. About 5 minutes later, power returned and I started up as normal. This computer is plugged into a surge protector. When Win 7 loaded, I got a few errors about Windows Explorer shutting down and Server shutting down, etc. After a few restarts, everthing came back up as normal. However, every so often, I'll start the computer up and it will automatically shut down when the Windows logo appears. Powering back up results in two options: startup repair or normal startup. Startup repair didn't find anything, and every time I select normal start up, Windows loads fine, and there are no auto shutdowns once Windows is up. Also this doesn't happen all the time, but it is frustrating.

Here is what I have done:

- chkdsk and chkdsk /r - all OK
- memtest86 - all OK
- power supply - visually seems OK. CMOS and Windows based hardware monitors show no fluctuations of voltages.
- replaced memory anyhow, and still the issue occurs. Original memory installed.
-no evidence of blown or leaking capacitors on motherboard.

My Specs:

- Asus P5N-D with Q9650 cooled by Coolermaster V8
- 4GB OCZ PC6700 DDR2-800 RAM
- 1 TB WD HDD
- Win 7 Pro x64
- GTX460 768MB
- 700W PSU

Im at my wits end here. The frustrating thing is that the computer runs fine when Windows is up and running, its just that 1 out of every 6th time or so that it shuts down on its own when windows loads. Thanks in advance for the help.

Allan

Solution
Swapping the PSU sounds like a good idea. At the worst it will eliminate that as the cause of the problem; at the best it will solve the problem.

aburek

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
No over/under clocking. PSU is a Rocketfish (don't laugh) 700W with 18A on 12V rail. I have an Antec 750W with 25A on the 12V rail I am thinking of swapping to see if it makes a difference.