User login fails several times before Successful Login

May 9, 2005 3:28:05 PM

I have a Windows 2003 AD Single Domain Foerest with Windows XP Pro clients.
The clients and servers are all up to date with updates. Several users have
difficulty logging in when they arrive in the morning. If they keep trying
after failed attempts they eventually are able to login. If I try to login
to one of these machinse in limbo as an administrator I am Immediatly
authenticated. I f I then logout and log back in as the user they can also
login immediately. There are no relevant Items in there event logs.
??????????

Thanks Rick
Anonymous
May 9, 2005 8:42:57 PM

Rick --

Has the network properly initialized prior to the user's trying to login ???
With XP fast boot, and the "right" combination of GPO settings, if the
network is not initialized on the PC, they could not login ... If they try
to login immediately when they get to the login script, and can't login, but
then after, say 30-60 seconds, they can, this may be the case ... The GPO
setting "Computer Settings | Administrative Templates | System | Logon |
Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" can control this
behavior and correct the user symptoms you are seeing ... Or, I could be
completely off base :-) ...

!