Picture Noise

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

I have just installed my new 9800 Pro (HIS Excalibur) and although I'm very
impressed with it (I did have a Geforce2 MX400!) I can constantly here a
quiet, though annoying, hiss type of sound coming from my speakers. Even if
I mute the entire system I can still hear it. The only other new item in my
computer is the Tagan 420W power supply and this didn;t happen before. I
have been using the onboard sound on my Asus K8N-E Deluxe.

Any ideas what this may be? Are the 9800 Pros known for this? Or is it
likely to be the power supply? Any way of sorting it out?

TIA

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

elziko wrote:
> I have just installed my new 9800 Pro (HIS Excalibur) and although
> I'm very impressed with it (I did have a Geforce2 MX400!) I can
> constantly here a quiet, though annoying, hiss type of sound coming
> from my speakers. Even if I mute the entire system I can still hear
> it. The only other new item in my computer is the Tagan 420W power
> supply and this didn;t happen before. I have been using the onboard
> sound on my Asus K8N-E Deluxe.
> Any ideas what this may be? Are the 9800 Pros known for this? Or is it
> likely to be the power supply? Any way of sorting it out?
>
> TIA

Unless you've not cabled something up correctly it's neither. I had a 9800
Pro with a Tagan 500W and I didn't experience any such thing.
on salads.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 23:05:30 -0000, "?" <noone@here.com>
wrote:

>elziko wrote:
>> I have just installed my new 9800 Pro (HIS Excalibur) and although
>> I'm very impressed with it (I did have a Geforce2 MX400!) I can
>> constantly here a quiet, though annoying, hiss type of sound coming
>> from my speakers. Even if I mute the entire system I can still hear
>> it. The only other new item in my computer is the Tagan 420W power
>> supply and this didn;t happen before. I have been using the onboard
>> sound on my Asus K8N-E Deluxe.
>> Any ideas what this may be? Are the 9800 Pros known for this? Or is it
>> likely to be the power supply? Any way of sorting it out?
>>
>> TIA
>

>Unless you've not cabled something up correctly it's neither. I had a 9800
>Pro with a Tagan 500W and I didn't experience any such thing.

Some audio solutions are more susceptible to noise than
others... that yours wasn't problematic isn't in itself
telling, could still be one or the other but your sound
card/onboard/whichever had better filtering.

Although, one can only assume all other things remained
equal in OP's system. If something else changed, like mixer
levels, could be that the noise was always present and
leaking even when muted, it might narrow things down a bit
to mute individual inputs too, and even unplug speakers from
mobo and see if turning volume up produces same noise.