Closed

Lost password

Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?
8 answers Last reply
More about lost password

    For XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen. You'll get the old Windows 2000 sytle logon. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank.

    For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode. Press the F8 key between the BIOS Post screen and XP actually starting to load. The Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    go to www.xprecoverypassword.co.uk/

    "5hulses" wrote:

    > Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
    > but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
    > welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

    Doug,

    It's xp pro. Tired your first solution, but it still asks for a
    password....what's the next step?

    5hulses wrote:
    > Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
    > but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
    > welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

    If the person who gave you the computer doesn't know any of the
    passwords needed to use the computer, you might want to verify that
    he/she had a legitimate right to that computer, before doing anything
    else. Your local police should be able to tell you if it was stolen.

    With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
    but even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest course
    of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
    You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
    filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
    original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

    Anyway, to answer your question:

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
    Password Expires
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321305

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    You can try the methods listed here:

    Short of that, if the computer came with the XP disc, it should have accompanied the computer. Format and start over.

    "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB76E35-2AE6-4BDE-8B6B-D7D5ADB9B342@microsoft.com...
    > Doug,
    >
    > It's xp pro. Tired your first solution, but it still asks for a
    > password....what's the next step?
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> For XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen. You'll get the old Windows 2000 sytle logon. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank.
    >>
    >> For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode. Press the F8 key between the BIOS Post screen and XP actually starting to load. The Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C42FD38-6A28-416C-A9F5-A03A1F4C525B@microsoft.com...
    >> > Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
    >> > but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
    >> > welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

    The tool allows you to recover the old password rather than resetting it
    and doesn't need any hacks like opening user manager via vunrabilitys in
    the spool service or using SAFE mode or an admin account. The service
    is at:

    http://www.loginrecovery.com

    It only takes about 5 mins to use and is simply a download of a floppy
    disk image and then all the rest is done from there. While it is a
    commercial service it is done for free if you wait around two days.

    It's helped me hundreds of times in the past and I hope that it will
    help you!

    --
    Wierdy1024Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
  7. Necropost!

Lost Password Security Computers Microsoft Windows XP