Lost password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

For XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen. You'll get the old Windows 2000 sytle logon. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank.

For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode. Press the F8 key between the BIOS Post screen and XP actually starting to load. The Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

go to www.xprecoverypassword.co.uk/

"5hulses" wrote:

> Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
> but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
> welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

Doug,

It's xp pro. Tired your first solution, but it still asks for a
password....what's the next step?

5hulses wrote:
> Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
> but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
> welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

If the person who gave you the computer doesn't know any of the
passwords needed to use the computer, you might want to verify that
he/she had a legitimate right to that computer, before doing anything
else. Your local police should be able to tell you if it was stolen.

With second-hand computers, especially if acquired from strangers
but even if acquired from a family member or friend, your wisest course
of action would probably be to format the hard drives and start fresh.
You don't want to get in trouble because the original owner may have
filled the hard drive with kiddie porn, or have problems because the
original owner downloaded/installed viruses or other malware.

Anyway, to answer your question:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your
Password Expires
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q321305

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

You can try the methods listed here:

Short of that, if the computer came with the XP disc, it should have accompanied the computer. Format and start over.

"5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DB76E35-2AE6-4BDE-8B6B-D7D5ADB9B342@microsoft.com...
> Doug,
>
> It's xp pro. Tired your first solution, but it still asks for a
> password....what's the next step?
>
> "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For XP Pro, press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen. You'll get the old Windows 2000 sytle logon. Enter Administrator and try leaving the password blank.
>>
>> For XP Home, you must boot the computer into Safe Mode. Press the F8 key between the BIOS Post screen and XP actually starting to load. The Administrator account will appear on the Welcome Screen.
>>
>> --
>> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
>> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
>> http://www.dougknox.com
>> --------------------------------
>> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
>> --------------------------------
>> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
>> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>>
>> "5hulses" <5hulses@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C42FD38-6A28-416C-A9F5-A03A1F4C525B@microsoft.com...
>> > Someone gave me a computer with XP that requires a password to be entered,
>> > but they don't know the password. Computer administrator is not on the
>> > welcome screen...how can I get in without knowing the password?

The tool allows you to recover the old password rather than resetting it
and doesn't need any hacks like opening user manager via vunrabilitys in
the spool service or using SAFE mode or an admin account. The service
is at:

http://www.loginrecovery.com

It only takes about 5 mins to use and is simply a download of a floppy
disk image and then all the rest is done from there. While it is a
commercial service it is done for free if you wait around two days.

It's helped me hundreds of times in the past and I hope that it will
help you!

--
Wierdy1024Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access