A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?

I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and ALL the subsequent updates. When using
Internet Explorer and trying to display some url (web page) I get sometimes a
display of an error message dialog window that says:
"ERROR
X A Runtime Error has occurred.
Do you wish to Debug?
Error: Syntax error
YES NO"
When clicking NO, often the error window re-displays again, sometimes this
repeats three to five times.
Does anybody know what causes this error window to display and how to fix
this?
Thanks for the help!
Xavier
4 answers Last reply
More about runtime error occurred debug

    Xavier,

    Go to the Control Panel and open Internet Options. Click the Advanced
    tab. Check the boxes next to " Disable Script Debugging (Internet
    Explorer) " and " Disable Script Debugging (Other) ". Uncheck the
    boxnext to " Display a notification about every script error ".
    Click Apply, then OK.

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    Xavier wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and ALL the subsequent updates. When using
    > Internet Explorer and trying to display some url (web page) I get sometimes a
    > display of an error message dialog window that says:
    > "ERROR
    > X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    > Do you wish to Debug?
    > Error: Syntax error
    > YES NO"
    > When clicking NO, often the error window re-displays again, sometimes this
    > repeats three to five times.
    > Does anybody know what causes this error window to display and how to fix
    > this?
    > Thanks for the help!
    > Xavier

    It will occur for each error found on the web page - so if the web page has
    15 errors, it will ask 15 times, likewise if it only has 1 error, it will
    ask 1 time.

    If you wish to eliminate them, follow MowGreen's advice to shutoff script
    debugging.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "Xavier" <Xavier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and ALL the subsequent updates. When using
    > Internet Explorer and trying to display some url (web page) I get
    > sometimes a
    > display of an error message dialog window that says:
    > "ERROR
    > X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    > Do you wish to Debug?
    > Error: Syntax error
    > YES NO"
    > When clicking NO, often the error window re-displays again, sometimes this
    > repeats three to five times.
    > Does anybody know what causes this error window to display and how to fix
    > this?
    > Thanks for the help!
    > Xavier

    Thanks MowGreen and Star Fleet Admiral Q!!

    I checked the two suggested boxes ("Display Script Debugging (Internet
    Explorer / Other).

    I didn't uncheck the box next to "Display a notification about every script
    error" since it was already unchecked (anything amiss?, comments?).
    Nevertheless, I then clicked Apply, then OK. I am keeping my fingers crossed!

    Thanks again!
    Xavier

    "Xavier" wrote:

    > I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and ALL the subsequent updates. When using
    > Internet Explorer and trying to display some url (web page) I get sometimes a
    > display of an error message dialog window that says:
    > "ERROR
    > X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    > Do you wish to Debug?
    > Error: Syntax error
    > YES NO"
    > When clicking NO, often the error window re-displays again, sometimes this
    > repeats three to five times.
    > Does anybody know what causes this error window to display and how to fix
    > this?
    > Thanks for the help!
    > Xavier

    Welcome, Xavier.
    > I didn't uncheck the box next to "Display a notification about every script
    > error" since it was already unchecked (anything amiss?, comments?).

    Nothing amiss. That is the Default setting.

    MowGreen [MVP 2004-2005]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    Xavier wrote:

    > Thanks MowGreen and Star Fleet Admiral Q!!
    >
    > I checked the two suggested boxes ("Display Script Debugging (Internet
    > Explorer / Other).
    >
    > I didn't uncheck the box next to "Display a notification about every script
    > error" since it was already unchecked (anything amiss?, comments?).
    > Nevertheless, I then clicked Apply, then OK. I am keeping my fingers crossed!
    >
    > Thanks again!
    > Xavier
    >
    > "Xavier" wrote:
    >

    >>I have Windows XP Pro with SP2 and ALL the subsequent updates. When using
    >>Internet Explorer and trying to display some url (web page) I get sometimes a
    >>display of an error message dialog window that says:
    >>"ERROR
    >> X A Runtime Error has occurred.
    >> Do you wish to Debug?
    >> Error: Syntax error
    >> YES NO"
    >>When clicking NO, often the error window re-displays again, sometimes this
    >>repeats three to five times.
    >>Does anybody know what causes this error window to display and how to fix
    >>this?
    >>Thanks for the help!
    >>Xavier

Windows XP Displays