GF6800GT or X800PRO?

Gday all
I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
anyway).
The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a couple
of dollars more.
It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)

any ideas/opinions appreciated

thanks in advance

Staf

Glitch

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2004

pugpep wrote:
> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
> anyway).

If you're into OpenGL games go get the 6800GT but for pretty much
everything else take the X800 PRO.If you're going with a X800PRO make
sure that it is a VIVO card 'cause they can be moded into XT with just a
BIOS flash.VIVO cards may cost 10-20$ more BUT they're definitely worth it.

kirby

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

"pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> Gday all
> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close enough
> anyway).
> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
couple
> of dollars more.
> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>
> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Staf

I would Just like to further add, that today I went and picked up my xmas
prezzie, a GeCube X800 Pro VIVO. Now, that last bit, the important part in
all this, is the VIVO. This baby has 1.6ns Samsung memory, the same core and
mem as its big brother, the X800 XT PE. The difference between these 2
cards, apart from the £100, is that the Pro has had 4 pipes disabled. These
4 can be soft modded on, leaving you with a X800 XT PE at full clock speeds.
May the 6800GT now stand down, this baby spanks.

Kirby

"Kirby" <hgvhgy@wewez.com> wrote in message

> "pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
>> Gday all
>> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
>> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
>> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close
>> enough
>> anyway).
>> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> couple
>> of dollars more.
>> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe neo2
>> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
>>
>> any ideas/opinions appreciated
>>
>> thanks in advance
>>
>> Staf
>>

> I would Just like to further add, that today I went and picked up my xmas
> prezzie, a GeCube X800 Pro VIVO. Now, that last bit, the important part in
> all this, is the VIVO. This baby has 1.6ns Samsung memory, the same core
> and
> mem as its big brother, the X800 XT PE. The difference between these 2
> cards, apart from the £100, is that the Pro has had 4 pipes disabled.
> These
> 4 can be soft modded on, leaving you with a X800 XT PE at full clock
> speeds.
> May the 6800GT now stand down, this baby spanks.
>

> Kirby

Yes, you can enable the remaining four pipes, but it's not guaranteed it
will run at X800XT PE speeds. Most will come close though

kirby

Distinguished
May 15, 2004

"Anders E.D" <kndy@online.no> wrote in message
> "Kirby" <hgvhgy@wewez.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "pugpep" <pugpep@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> >> Gday all
> >> I know this has prolly been asked heaps of times but what are the
> >> feelings/opinions on which card would be better performer?
> >> I am in the market for one and they r in the same price range(close
> >> enough
> >> anyway).
> >> The GF6800GT is an OEM for approx $630 AUD dollars and the X800PRO a
> > couple
> >> of dollars more.
> >> It would be going into a system with 2.8 intel/1gb DDR400/ msi 865pe
neo2
> >> mb/sb audigy(replacing a dodgey 9600XT)
> >>
> >> any ideas/opinions appreciated
> >>
> >> thanks in advance
> >>
> >> Staf
> >>

> > I would Just like to further add, that today I went and picked up my
xmas
> > prezzie, a GeCube X800 Pro VIVO. Now, that last bit, the important part
in
> > all this, is the VIVO. This baby has 1.6ns Samsung memory, the same core
> > and
> > mem as its big brother, the X800 XT PE. The difference between these 2
> > cards, apart from the £100, is that the Pro has had 4 pipes disabled.
> > These
> > 4 can be soft modded on, leaving you with a X800 XT PE at full clock
> > speeds.
> > May the 6800GT now stand down, this baby spanks.
> >

> > Kirby
> >

> Yes, you can enable the remaining four pipes, but it's not guaranteed it
> will run at X800XT PE speeds. Most will come close though

Yes, sorry I did forget to mention that it is not 100% certainty. But, I
must add, after successful flashing, ATI tool now reports 16 pipes, 520/560.
So it's safe to say, mine has worked. Now for some serious testing.

I followed the Instructions here
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=31&threadid=1371898&enter
thread=y as yet, I have not flashed ot to the ATI XT Bios, just the
gigabyte one.

Kirby