Folder encrypted by another installation

I have a folder that was encrypted using Windows XP.
That installation was on a hard drive that had a dual start up with linux.
the linux dual boot became corrupt, but all the Windows folders are still
visible from other computers.

Since then, I have bought a new hard drive that has a brand new XP
installation and the same users. I am able to see the encrypted folder which
is on a different partition than the original broken windows folder. I am
unable to access the files.

Is there a way to get the folder unencrypted viewing the folder from the
newly installed XP?
1 answer Last reply
More about folder encrypted installation

    jonefer wrote:

    > I have a folder that was encrypted using Windows XP.
    > That installation was on a hard drive that had a dual start up with linux.
    > the linux dual boot became corrupt, but all the Windows folders are still
    > visible from other computers.
    >
    > Since then, I have bought a new hard drive that has a brand new XP
    > installation and the same users. I am able to see the encrypted folder which
    > is on a different partition than the original broken windows folder. I am
    > unable to access the files.
    >
    > Is there a way to get the folder unencrypted viewing the folder from the
    > newly installed XP?
    Hi,

    If you can obtain some files from the user profile folders for the
    user that encrypted the files and if you remember the password for the
    user when the backup was taken, you might be able to save the files.

    Take a look at this site for more details:

    http://www.beginningtoseethelight.org/efsrecovery/

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Hard Drives Windows XP