can't map shares or browse network

May 11, 2005 3:16:00 PM

We are still in a transition stage of changing domains (internally). We in IT
had changed our PCs several weeks ago, when we first started the changeover.

We have installed Exchange 2003 on 2003 server. This box was also a domain
controller. Over this past weekend, this box crashed. Today, my first day here
in the office this week, I'm having several problems.

1.) Two drive mappings won't reconnect on reboot. When I log on, I'm informed
that a duplicate name exists on the network. But can still log on.

I manually disconnected my two drive mappings, figuring that I would manually
remap them. Instead, I get "The network path \\<server>\<share> could not be
found."

And I have also seen a message about duplicate mappings to the same share not
being allowed.

2.) I can't browse the network. Last week I had no problem browsing the
network. Today, I get an empty right pane in Explorer. I get no error message,
but I also get no list of machines either.

Our network admin is working on it. He is assuming it has to do with the crash
over the weekend. He has suggested to me that I go back to the old domain,
until he gets this problem resolved.

I'm guess I'm hoping that perhaps someone might have an idea that could help us
zero in on just what the problem is, and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance,

Tom
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 9:27:03 PM

tom im assuming this computer is on the same domain as all the others. You
can always try removing and adding the computer back to the domain. Also
make sure the tcp ip configurations are the same gateway , dns server and
subnet mask. The ip address has be on the same c class as well.

Do you have a domain conroller? if so is it nt 4 , 2000 or 2003, you have to
take a look there as well.

!