Widescreen TV-out (Radeon 9100 IGP)

I've got an Aristona 28" widescreen TV. I live in Europe, so we use PAL-B
(TV supports NTSC, but that doesn't fix the problem, it only introduces the
weird NTSC-colors).

I really can't get a good widescreen output. I would think a resultion of
856x480 would be perfect, because that's the exact resolution of a PAL
widescreen TV. However, I can't set that resolution normally, and when I try
setting it with PowerStrip, the image is almost good. Horizontally, it looks
like the image is shrunk and then stretched again.

Note that I'm not using Cinema/Theater mode, I use the TV as the primary
display, so it has nothing to do with Cinema/Theater mode.

So, concluding: what do I need to do to get a widescreen image on my TV
without the image being stretched?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

Martijn Saly wrote:

> I've got an Aristona 28" widescreen TV. I live in Europe, so we use PAL-B
> (TV supports NTSC, but that doesn't fix the problem, it only introduces
> the weird NTSC-colors).
>
> I really can't get a good widescreen output. I would think a resultion of
> 856x480 would be perfect, because that's the exact resolution of a PAL
> widescreen TV. However, I can't set that resolution normally, and when I
> try setting it with PowerStrip, the image is almost good. Horizontally, it
> looks like the image is shrunk and then stretched again.
>
> Note that I'm not using Cinema/Theater mode, I use the TV as the primary
> display, so it has nothing to do with Cinema/Theater mode.
>
> So, concluding: what do I need to do to get a widescreen image on my TV
> without the image being stretched?

There's different adjustments (image processors) on TVs - one being "image
stretching" aka 4:3 and 16:9 ratio stuff. You may want to check that
you're setting this properly. I would guess 16:9. (So each pixel is still
interpreted as being square.)

Now when I think about this -- it may be that (??) some TVs can't actually
receive a 16:9 true square pixel sized image. Not sure about this. But I
think anamorphic (wide-screen) is actually just wide pixels. More pixels
aren't actually coming in from the source.

Sorry if this isn't helping..

--
Every day above ground is a good day

kalev- wrote:
> There's different adjustments (image processors) on TVs - one being "image
> stretching" aka 4:3 and 16:9 ratio stuff. You may want to check that
> you're setting this properly. I would guess 16:9. (So each pixel is still
> interpreted as being square.)
>
> Now when I think about this -- it may be that (??) some TVs can't actually
> receive a 16:9 true square pixel sized image. Not sure about this. But I
> think anamorphic (wide-screen) is actually just wide pixels. More pixels
> aren't actually coming in from the source.
>
> Sorry if this isn't helping..

Stretching on the TV doesn't help. The image outputted to the TV is already
full-screen. The problem is that the card cannot output with 16:9 aspect
ratio, resulting in a horizontally stretched and scrollable image. If the
image would just shrink horizontally but not vertically, everything would be OK.

I don;t know what this has to do with anamorphic, but I do know that when I
set a 16:9 resolution like 1024x576, the image looks vertically stretched on
a regular monitor, so it should look perfect on my TV (I guess that's
anamorphic). But the card refuses to output the image without stretching it,
mainly because I just can't tell the driver that I have a widescreen TV.

So again, how do I actually fix this?

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly

Don't have a TV hooked up myself. However, have tried playing with the size
adjustments and sync methods in Monitor Properties?

Display Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced -> Displays tab -> click on
the button representing your TV.

First of One wrote:
> Don't have a TV hooked up myself. However, have tried playing with the size
> adjustments and sync methods in Monitor Properties?
>
> Display Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced -> Displays tab -> click on
> the button representing your TV.

Those are not available, because I obviously use overscan. Aside that, the
image is already full-screen, it just not the right aspect ratio (Just read
my other post, I don't feel like explaining it again).

--
Thanks,

Martijn Saly