Blocking inbound e-mail attachments

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving Visio files
(.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments from trusted sources.
How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever it is in Windows that is
blocking these?
Thx
8 answers Last reply
More about blocking inbound mail attachments
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jay wrote:
    || My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving
    || Visio files (.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments
    || from trusted sources. How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever
    || it is in Windows that is blocking these?
    || Thx

    What email client are you using? (Fairly relevant, wouldn't you say?)

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they call
    "British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically inclined nor
    have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before, please forgive me not being
    totally familiar with all the info that someone might need to answer my
    question. To answer yours however, it's Outlook Express.
    Cheers

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    > || My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving
    > || Visio files (.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments
    > || from trusted sources. How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever
    > || it is in Windows that is blocking these?
    > || Thx
    >
    > What email client are you using? (Fairly relevant, wouldn't you say?)
    >
    > --
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    >
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jay wrote:
    || I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they
    || call "British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically
    || inclined nor have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before,
    || please forgive me not being totally familiar with all the info that
    || someone might need to answer my question. To answer yours however,
    || it's Outlook Express.
    || Cheers
    ||

    A tip - this isn't "chat" it's Usenet or Newsgroups which you happen to be
    accessing using a web interface (Which incidentally, unless you are behind a
    restrictive corporate firewall is NOT the best way to access newsgroups.
    Have a look here:
    Newsgroup Configuration for Outlook Express

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/setup.asp

    http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm)


    Have you looked at Tools-Options-Security in OE and unchecked the attachment
    option?

    Make sure you have an antivirus program running that is up to date if you
    uncheck this option.


    HTH


    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive, thank
    you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message saying "The
    parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring to?
    Thx

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    > || I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they
    > || call "British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically
    > || inclined nor have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before,
    > || please forgive me not being totally familiar with all the info that
    > || someone might need to answer my question. To answer yours however,
    > || it's Outlook Express.
    > || Cheers
    > ||
    >
    > A tip - this isn't "chat" it's Usenet or Newsgroups which you happen to be
    > accessing using a web interface (Which incidentally, unless you are behind a
    > restrictive corporate firewall is NOT the best way to access newsgroups.
    > Have a look here:
    > Newsgroup Configuration for Outlook Express
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/setup.asp
    >
    > http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm)
    >
    >
    >
    > Have you looked at Tools-Options-Security in OE and unchecked the attachment
    > option?
    >
    > Make sure you have an antivirus program running that is up to date if you
    > uncheck this option.
    >
    >
    >
    > HTH
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    >
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jay wrote:
    || Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive,
    || thank you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message
    || saying "The parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring
    || to?

    Sorry, you've got me there. What sort of file is this you are trying to
    open?


    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    It's a Visio (VSD) file ... perhaps my Visio app is too old ... but I
    wouldn't have expected such a catastrophic error message just because my
    Visio is downlevel relative to the file it is trying to open. I guess I would
    have expected it to still open but perhaps be a bit garbled?

    "Gordon" wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    > || Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive,
    > || thank you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message
    > || saying "The parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring
    > || to?
    >
    > Sorry, you've got me there. What sort of file is this you are trying to
    > open?
    >
    >
    > --
    > Gordon Burgess-Parker
    > Interim Systems and Management Accounting
    > www.gbpcomputing.co.uk
    >
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Jay wrote:

    > It's a Visio (VSD) file ... perhaps my Visio app is too old ... but I
    > wouldn't have expected such a catastrophic error message just because
    > my Visio is downlevel relative to the file it is trying to open. I
    > guess I would have expected it to still open but perhaps be a bit
    > garbled?
    >
    > "Gordon" wrote:
    >

    That expectation was not correct. The ability for an older version of a
    program to open a newer version of a program rests entirely on the
    program's coding and not in the operating system at all. Apparently
    your older version of Visio can't do this.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for your comments ... although I am only GUESSING that my problem
    stems from downlevel app vs. newer level file, because the error message
    doesn't appear to be informative enough for me to be sure
    Cheers

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Jay wrote:
    >
    > > It's a Visio (VSD) file ... perhaps my Visio app is too old ... but I
    > > wouldn't have expected such a catastrophic error message just because
    > > my Visio is downlevel relative to the file it is trying to open. I
    > > guess I would have expected it to still open but perhaps be a bit
    > > garbled?
    > >
    > > "Gordon" wrote:
    > >
    >
    > That expectation was not correct. The ability for an older version of a
    > program to open a newer version of a program rests entirely on the
    > program's coding and not in the operating system at all. Apparently
    > your older version of Visio can't do this.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic!"
    > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Microsoft Email