Blocking inbound e-mail attachments

jay

My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving Visio files
(.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments from trusted sources.
How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever it is in Windows that is
blocking these?
Thx

Gordon

Jay wrote:
|| My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving
|| Visio files (.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments
|| from trusted sources. How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever
|| it is in Windows that is blocking these?
|| Thx

What email client are you using? (Fairly relevant, wouldn't you say?)

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

jay

I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they call
"British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically inclined nor
have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before, please forgive me not being
totally familiar with all the info that someone might need to answer my
question. To answer yours however, it's Outlook Express.
Cheers

"Gordon" wrote:

> Jay wrote:
> || My XP system appears to be preventing me from opening or saving
> || Visio files (.vsd files) that I'm receiving as e-mail attachments
> || from trusted sources. How do I disable, even temporarily, whatever
> || it is in Windows that is blocking these?
> || Thx
>
> What email client are you using? (Fairly relevant, wouldn't you say?)
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Jay wrote:
|| I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they
|| call "British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically
|| inclined nor have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before,
|| please forgive me not being totally familiar with all the info that
|| someone might need to answer my question. To answer yours however,
|| it's Outlook Express.
|| Cheers

A tip - this isn't "chat" it's Usenet or Newsgroups which you happen to be
accessing using a web interface (Which incidentally, unless you are behind a
restrictive corporate firewall is NOT the best way to access newsgroups.
Have a look here:
Newsgroup Configuration for Outlook Express

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/setup.asp

http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm)

Have you looked at Tools-Options-Security in OE and unchecked the attachment
option?

Make sure you have an antivirus program running that is up to date if you
uncheck this option.

HTH

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

jay

Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive, thank
you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message saying "The
parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring to?
Thx

"Gordon" wrote:

> Jay wrote:
> || I appreciate your quick reply ... I guess your answer is what they
> || call "British humour" ... at any rate, since I am not technically
> || inclined nor have I ever participated in such a 'chat' before,
> || please forgive me not being totally familiar with all the info that
> || someone might need to answer my question. To answer yours however,
> || it's Outlook Express.
> || Cheers
>
> A tip - this isn't "chat" it's Usenet or Newsgroups which you happen to be
> accessing using a web interface (Which incidentally, unless you are behind a
> restrictive corporate firewall is NOT the best way to access newsgroups.
> Have a look here:
> Newsgroup Configuration for Outlook Express
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=171164&product=oex
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/setup.asp
>
> http://www.gmayor.com/MSNews.htm)
>

> Have you looked at Tools-Options-Security in OE and unchecked the attachment
> option?
>
> Make sure you have an antivirus program running that is up to date if you
> uncheck this option.
>

> HTH
>

> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Gordon

Jay wrote:
|| Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive,
|| thank you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message
|| saying "The parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring
|| to?

Sorry, you've got me there. What sort of file is this you are trying to
open?

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

jay

It's a Visio (VSD) file ... perhaps my Visio app is too old ... but I
wouldn't have expected such a catastrophic error message just because my
Visio is downlevel relative to the file it is trying to open. I guess I would
have expected it to still open but perhaps be a bit garbled?

"Gordon" wrote:

> Jay wrote:
> || Your instruction at least allowed me to save the file onto my drive,
> || thank you, but when I click on it to open it, I get a error message
> || saying "The parameter is incorrect". Any idea what this is referring
> || to?
>
> Sorry, you've got me there. What sort of file is this you are trying to
> open?
>

> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Malke

Jay wrote:

> It's a Visio (VSD) file ... perhaps my Visio app is too old ... but I
> wouldn't have expected such a catastrophic error message just because
> my Visio is downlevel relative to the file it is trying to open. I
> guess I would have expected it to still open but perhaps be a bit
> garbled?
>
> "Gordon" wrote:

That expectation was not correct. The ability for an older version of a
program to open a newer version of a program rests entirely on the
program's coding and not in the operating system at all. Apparently
your older version of Visio can't do this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

jay

Thanks for your comments ... although I am only GUESSING that my problem
stems from downlevel app vs. newer level file, because the error message
doesn't appear to be informative enough for me to be sure
Cheers