Spyware, malware, Trojan and the like

My computer, which runs Windows XP Home, is very badly infested with spyware
and the like. I clean it every time with Ad-Aware and Spybot: S&D, but each
time I turn it on, more is downloaded. The main culprit is a dialer that
installs itself onto my C drive but there are many others. They show popups
for SlimShield and also try to send e-mail from my computer, which slows it
down considerably. Also, my Task Manager is disabled. I have also found many
unknow executable files in C:\Windows and C:\Windows\system32, many of which
have 3 letter filenames such as Bbv.exe and Uga.exe. There is also a file
svch0st.exe, which obviously masquerades as svchost.exe while running. I am
not sure how to get rid of all of this. Can someone halp?
1 answer Last reply
More about spyware malware trojan like

    Igor wrote:

    > My computer, which runs Windows XP Home, is very badly infested with
    > spyware and the like. I clean it every time with Ad-Aware and Spybot:
    > S&D, but each time I turn it on, more is downloaded. The main culprit
    > is a dialer that installs itself onto my C drive but there are many
    > others. They show popups for SlimShield and also try to send e-mail
    > from my computer, which slows it down considerably. Also, my Task
    > Manager is disabled. I have also found many unknow executable files in
    > C:\Windows and C:\Windows\system32, many of which have 3 letter
    > filenames such as Bbv.exe and Uga.exe. There is also a file
    > svch0st.exe, which obviously masquerades as svchost.exe while running.
    > I am not sure how to get rid of all of this. Can someone halp?

    Even though you've done some work on this, go through these general
    removal steps. It is crucial that you do everything with updated tools
    in Safe Mode. You will note that the first step is to scan with your
    antivirus. If you do not have a current version, updated, full-featured
    antivirus installed then start your scanning with TrendMicro's
    Sysclean. Then get a full-featured av, install it, update it, and do a
    thorough scan in Safe Mode. Instructions for getting and using Sysclean
    follow the general removal steps.

    A. General malware removal - First delete all Temporary and Temporary
    Internet Files. For IE's Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet
    Options>General tab. You'll see where you can delete cookies and files.
    For Firefox, clear its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache>
    Clear. For Windows Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter] and
    then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Links to help with malware:

    Software/Methods:
    http://www.safer-networking.org - Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - Ad-aware
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    http://www.tomcoyote.com/hjt/ - HijackThis
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_cwsremoval.html. - SilentRunners
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm - Repair Winsock 2 settings after
    removing spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html - WinsockXPFix.exe

    HijackThis:
    http://www.aumha.org/a/hjttutor.htm - HijackThis tutorial by Jim
    Eshelman
    http://aumha.net - forums
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5 - Spyware Warrior HijackThis
    forum
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/

    General:
    http://aumha.net - look under "Security" for various forums
    http://rgharper.mvps.org/cleanit.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm - The Parasite Fight

    B. Sysclean - TrendMicro's Sysclean is an extensive antivirus tool which
    has the advantage of not needing to be installed. It requires two parts
    - the scanning engine and the virus pattern files. Delete all Temporary
    and Temporary Internet Files before running the program.

    1. Create a new folder on your Desktop or the C: drive named something
    useful like "Sysclean".
    2. Go here and download the two parts of the program to that folder:

    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp - Sysclean
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/pattern.asp - virus pattern files

    The pattern files will be zipped - extract them with your unzipper (like
    WinZip) or if you have XP, you can just open the folder. You need to
    put the extracted files in the Sysclean folder you made. For a more
    automated way to get Sysclean, use Dave Lipman's Sysclean_FE from
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm .

    3. Restart your computer in Safe Mode. Get into Safe Mode by repeatedly
    tapping the F8 key as the computer is starting up to get to the proper
    menu.
    4. Go to the Sysclean folder you made and double-click on sysclean.com.
    Start the scan. After the scan is finished, look at the log. You may
    need to make a note of where any viruses were found if they were not
    able to be removed so you can manually delete them.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com