steam: valve is not waiting for tcpa

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2005 12:30:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
do to us pc users with tcpa
valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess
we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to register
and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when hl2
was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 26, 2005 12:30:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

I had a look at that site, but it's not translated very well, so I
found it hard to understand what tcpa was and what the problem is. Some
kind of hardware-based encryption or security that will only allow
registered programs to work?

Good luck with your againststeam website. I can't help because I know
nothing about making websites, but also because I've thought about your
3 issues against Steam, and I don't agree:

1) Games must come in a box.
It's very satisfying owning the box, but in the case of HL2 you didn't
get anything extra in it. I'd be willing to forego the box in such
cases. It's alrerady happening in the music industry, where you can
download albums, and a lot of software is download only (have you even
seen a boxed version of WinZip?) Think of all the mods for games such
as original HL; the vast majority are download only. I would download a
game if it was cheaper and I wasn't missing out on anything
significant. Perhaps a good compromise would be if they also made the
artwork and instructions available as a pdf, so you could download them
and make your own box?

2) Patches available separately.
Personally, I like my software checking for updates whenever I go
online. Saves me constantly monitoring everything. I can see your point
that if a patch doesn't work, you at least have the option of not
installing it (if you hear abvout it in time) or reinstalling the game
and patching up to the previous level, but that's the only scenario in
which I think it's useful. If you play online, your client needs to be
the same version as the server, so it's useful to be automatically
patched. Again, maybe the next revision of Steam could compromise by
asking you to OK an update before continuing, maybe giving you the
option to continue unpatched if you want (although you'll probably come
undone as soon as you try to connect to a multiplayer server).

3) No authentication required.
Do you mean the initial authentication on installing the game? If it
makes it harder to pirate the game and therefore keeps the street-price
down, I am in favour of authentication. It doesn't take long and is
exactly the same as installing WinXP or most other software and games,
except that it's done over the internet.
If you mean authenticating your account whenever you go online, well
didn't that always happen with the old WON servers? What's changed?
It's just Valve's way of checking that only people who bought the game
can play it. Doesn't every online game employ some kind of check like
this, even if it's entering a username and password? Whenever you go
online, your internat account is authenticated in much the same way? Do
you resent this "humiliating" check as well? I have no problem with my
access rights being checked in this way, if it stops other people using
the licence thatI paid for.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:30:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

difool wrote:

<snip>

Jump the Shark: A defining moment when you know that your favorite
television program/musical band/usenet troll has reached it's peak. That
instand that you know from now on, it's all downhill.

You may go away now difool. Your jump the shark moment was your "Valve is
ugly" thread. You have ceased being amusing in any way.
January 26, 2005 1:29:22 PM

difool wrote:

> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
> do to us pc users with tcpa
> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess
> we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to register
> and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when hl2
> was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
> proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
> will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?

I thought TCPA was dead and gone...the P4 was supposed to have it, but
it doesn't...right? Plus, you can deactivate it anyway...
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 6:07:31 PM

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
> do to us pc users with tcpa
> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess
> we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to
register
> and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when hl2
> was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
> proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
> will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam

Not being funny, but if you don't like Steam and Valve, then isn't it a
simple process to 'not buy anything' from them? Every argument has a flip
side, and your views are narrow. It all comes down to how responsible the
said company is. If Valve oversteps its mark, then I will join you, but so
far they are behaving responsibly.

If you like, I will point you in the direction of some causes that really do
need someone to help spread the word. Causes where peoples lives are
directly affected, and have little to do with 'just a game'.

Finally, could you tell me what your eventual aim is? Also, how many years
you intend to dwindle your life away over this?

ho hum.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:27:17 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
> do to us pc users with tcpa
> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess
> we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to
> register
> and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when hl2
> was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
> proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
> will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?

I was wary of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
only raving lunatics oppose steam. Do you really want to pledge your
allegiance to such a person? Do you want his collapsed reputation to rub
off on you? No, my friends, you don't! This is why I encourage all good
citizens to support steam. Down with difool, up with steam. Vote for steam
and send a clear message against lunacy.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:27:18 PM

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:QzWJd.7977> I was wary
of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
> you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
> against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
> only raving lunatics oppose steam.

I've rallied against steam, and I'm far from a raving lunatic (although
I can already sense people like Yachtboy coming to post some witty
retort about my mentality). DiFool is not a raving lunatic either. You
are really over-stating the case in a huge way, to bolster your point
of view.

I've re-read his message here a couple times, and others, and he
may rant a bit and be a bit over the top. But he's far from a madman.
Raving lunatic? Come on man... Let's get some perspective here,
instead of grandstanding.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 10:27:18 PM

> I was wary of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind.

Because of one Usenet poster? Lol you must be kidding.

Anyway, there's not a lot these days that Jim Vierra and I agree on, but one
thing for sure is that it doesn't take a raving lunatic to see that Steam is
insidious and worth opposing by means other than simply walking away without
a purchase (which I've already done btw). I see some spirited activism on
difool's part, and I don't see any evidence to suggest that he doesn't show
the same level of commitment to other causes that you might consider more
worthy of attention. I don't follow his posts, maybe the rest of them have
been over the top, but it's not a valid reason imo to change your mind about
a topic this important to all of us.

But as I say, I don't believe you really did change your mind, I suspect
you're just having fun with him.

--
Bob Perez

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they
quit playing."
- Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:10:51 AM

"Jim Vieira" <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote in message
> "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:QzWJd.7977> I was
> wary
> of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
>> you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
>> against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
>> only raving lunatics oppose steam.
>
> I've rallied against steam, and I'm far from a raving lunatic (although
> I can already sense people like Yachtboy coming to post some witty
> retort about my mentality). DiFool is not a raving lunatic either. You
> are really over-stating the case in a huge way, to bolster your point
> of view.
>
> I've re-read his message here a couple times, and others, and he
> may rant a bit and be a bit over the top. But he's far from a madman.
> Raving lunatic? Come on man... Let's get some perspective here,
> instead of grandstanding.

Oh oh, I've done it again...never take anything I say seriously. Usenet is
a plaything for me. In fact, I didn't even read difool's entire post.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 12:36:22 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

You morons need to give it up, difool in particular.

Steam is here to stay and you can rant all you like but it won't change
a thing.

Don't like steam? then don't play steam games, simple.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:43:16 AM

Steam is GREAT... Ya are a raving lunatic.... What's yer problem with
Steam???

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:11:50 -0600, "Jim Vieira"
<whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:

>"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:QzWJd.7977> I was wary
>of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
>> you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
>> against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
>> only raving lunatics oppose steam.
>
>I've rallied against steam, and I'm far from a raving lunatic (although
>I can already sense people like Yachtboy coming to post some witty
>retort about my mentality). DiFool is not a raving lunatic either. You
>are really over-stating the case in a huge way, to bolster your point
>of view.
>
>I've re-read his message here a couple times, and others, and he
>may rant a bit and be a bit over the top. But he's far from a madman.
>Raving lunatic? Come on man... Let's get some perspective here,
>instead of grandstanding.

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:33:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

> I've re-read his message here a couple times, and others, and he
> may rant a bit and be a bit over the top. But he's far from a madman.
> Raving lunatic? Come on man... Let's get some perspective here,
> instead of grandstanding.

You've read the Valve is Ugly thread, right ?

And this..from yourself ? Replying directly to the moron.

"Ok, come on now. I was on your side on this thing so far,
but clearly you are fed up that that the other threads died and
wanna restart it all again. Just let it go man. It's over"

You're just as deluded as the idiot difool.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:54:51 AM

In article <5smev0pvid3as50a33ga9ti6t393ptoaq2@4ax.com>, difool wrote:
> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
> do to us pc users with tcpa
> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess

So basically you want a site full of incorrect information, but about Steam
instead of TCPA?

Try here for technical information about TCPA:

http://www.research.ibm.com/gsal/tcpa/tcpa_rebuttal.pdf

--
--Tim Smith
Anonymous

> Oh oh, I've done it again...never take anything I say seriously. Usenet
is
> a plaything for me. In fact, I didn't even read difool's entire post.

Oh... um, nevermind.. (runs for cover)

January 27, 2005 11:37:21 AM

<cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You morons need to give it up, difool in particular.
>
> Steam is here to stay and you can rant all you like but it won't change
> a thing.
>
> Don't like steam? then don't play steam games, simple.

Thank you Captain Obvious. Some are only wary about
the future implications and the direction delivery methods
are moving in.

I'm not going to post in this thread anymore. I've already
said what I have to say, several times over.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 1:48:16 PM

Jim Vieira wrote:

> <cr0n1k@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>You morons need to give it up, difool in particular.
>>
>>Steam is here to stay and you can rant all you like but it won't change
>>a thing.
>>
>>Don't like steam? then don't play steam games, simple.
>>

> Thank you Captain Obvious. Some are only wary about
> the future implications and the direction delivery methods
> are moving in.

Jim...I think the point is that Steam has yet to prove itself as
menovolent. I tend to think Steam (and Valve...in general) is pretty
benevolent.

They haven't sold my information to anyone, they haven't taken advantage
of the fact that I'm connected to them almost everytime my computer
turns on, and they haven't tried to take over or do anything "bad" to my
games or to my connection.

Hell, I think bittorrent is worse than Steam :-) :-) :-) (just in case
nobody sees the first :-) )

> I'm not going to post in this thread anymore. I've already
> said what I have to say, several times over.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:28:12 PM

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action Jim Vieira <whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> wrote:

> I've rallied against steam, and I'm far from a raving lunatic
>
> DiFool is not a raving lunatic either.

explains itself really.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:47:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Jim Vieira" wrote:

probably the ugly thread was a mistake but i still think the logo is
an unfortunate choice, steam site not having pictures is completely
puzzling and making the gordon dude like a hollywood hunk "cruise"
is not remotely applicable to games... but is was only my opinion

although i really don't care what people say, its always nice to hear
some words of support
thanks

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 27, 2005 2:47:11 PM

difool wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Jim Vieira" wrote:
>
> probably the ugly thread was a mistake but i still think the logo is
> an unfortunate choice, steam site not having pictures is completely
> puzzling and making the gordon dude like a hollywood hunk "cruise"
> is not remotely applicable to games... but is was only my opinion

On meds
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 2:47:16 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Bob Perez" wrote:

i'm not the proud type who will never change his mind only
cause his stubborn, but with steam its simply cause its
so damn wrong there is really no way i will ever feel good
about it

even feeling much alone in this group since the beginning,
i really apreciate your words
thanks

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 27, 2005 2:47:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:

you never understood me, that's why you came with the ridiculous spammer
conspiracy theory

i don't want to be funny!
i don't care if you think i'm a troll!
i don't care if you killfile me!
i don't care if i'll become boring and repetitive

i know i'm starting too lose steam (not the other one) but i'm only here
for the games and i will only go away in one of these three conditions
.. if sierra wins and hl2 will have a steam free version
.. if valve wins and every pc game will be steam based
.. if i get tired and give up

so please get used to the idea i'll be staying here for a while
i'm not funny! i'm boring! i'm repetitive! i simply say always the same!
i want steam away from pc games!

you never understood what i'm all about...
i'm simply a guy who was put aside and is complaining... and he will
keep complaining until things change or he gives up
its ridiculously simple but you still don't get it

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

January 27, 2005 2:47:24 PM

difool wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Hank the Rapper" wrote:
>
> i don't want to be funny!
> i don't care if you think i'm a troll!
> i don't care if you killfile me!
> i don't care if i'll become boring and repetitive

Off meds
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:06:03 PM

I don't like steam. It burns me.

Civilian_Target

Cannon Fodder wrote:
> Steam is GREAT... Ya are a raving lunatic.... What's yer problem with
> Steam???
> "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
> the intention of arriving safely in an attractive
> and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
> sideways, cigarette in one hand, favorite beverage in
> the other, between the legs of a hot lady, body
> thoroughly used up, totally worn out,and screaming
> WOO HOO - What a Ride!"
>
> I didn't compose this but I love it!!!
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:45:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

All the bull about a company that we ALL payed to play their games...If
you want to change it then DO something about it...instead of sitting
here whining. I quit Everquest 2 years ago for the same reasons, if you
are that enraged then find someway to deal with it. We would all be
better off if we didnt play these damn games. Take it to heart, but
dont try to revolt from a system that you arent even a part of.
January 28, 2005 10:11:53 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 09:30:30 +0000, difool
<john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> dared speak in front of ME:

>was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
>proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
>will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?

One would think that the lack of mobilization *might* be a hint that
it's not really all that necessary.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from

<whiplashr@wi.rr.com.remove.this.to.reply> dared speak in front of ME:

>"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message news:QzWJd.7977> I was wary
>of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
>> you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
>> against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
>> only raving lunatics oppose steam.
>
>I've rallied against steam, and I'm far from a raving lunatic (although
>I can already sense people like Yachtboy coming to post some witty
>retort about my mentality). DiFool is not a raving lunatic either.

He does a good impression of one, then.
Pointing that out in defence of Steam is pure ad hominem fallacy, of
course, but that doesn't change the fact that DiFool, at least, comes
off as a raving lunatic.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from
gafgirl1@2allstream3.net
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:38:53 PM

"unfortunately nobody replied" - thank you sir.

I haven't laughed so hard in hours.

Regards
33

"difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
> do to us pc users with tcpa
> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i guess
> we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to
> register
> and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when hl2
> was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
> proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
> will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?
>
> --
> post made in a steam-free computer
> i said "NO" to valve and steam
>
> please sign petition "Say NO! to Steam!" available at:
> http://www.petitiononline.com/nosteam/petition.html
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:39:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Hell, if I could afford another PC game right now, I'd be buying HL2 for
sure.

Regards
33

"Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca> wrote in message
> "difool" <john.difool@mail.telepac.pt> wrote in message
>> its frightening what companies like intel, microsoft and others want to
>> do to us pc users with tcpa
>> valve is only doing their own version with steam and not waiting for tcpa
>> thanks for "claudevms" for posting tcpa site http://www.againsttcpa.com
>> a site like that but dealing with steam would be very important... i
>> guess
>> we have already a good name "www.againststeam.com" we only need to
>> register
>> and do content... any volunteers? since the beginning of november when
>> hl2
>> was released i've been asking for gamers against steam mobilize and do a
>> proper website but unfortunately nobody replied
>> will a so necessary site dealing with steam be ever a reality?
>>

> I was wary of this whole steam thing, but now I've changed my mind. When
> you consider that its main detractor is a raving lunatic, the argument
> against steam loses all credibility. Difool has demonstrated to us that
> only raving lunatics oppose steam. Do you really want to pledge your
> allegiance to such a person? Do you want his collapsed reputation to rub
> off on you? No, my friends, you don't! This is why I encourage all good
> citizens to support steam. Down with difool, up with steam. Vote for
> steam and send a clear message against lunacy.

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:40:52 PM

riku wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:53:52 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
> Interesting someone would bring that up on a newsgroup called
> comp.sys.IBM.PC.GAMES.ACTION, though. I mean, come on, why are people
> talking about PC games here, when there are thousands of people dying
> all over the world EVERY DAY?!? And born too, which is gross too, with
> all the blood and screaming. Yuck!

A) Grackle is a troll
B) ROTFLMAO blood and screaming....sounds like a great action game!
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:41:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Still not capitalising the "I" though. I wonder if that's significant in
some way?

Regards
33

"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> difool wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, "Jim Vieira" wrote:
>>
>> probably the ugly thread was a mistake but i still think the logo is
>> an unfortunate choice, steam site not having pictures is completely
>> puzzling and making the gordon dude like a hollywood hunk "cruise"
>> is not remotely applicable to games... but is was only my opinion
>
> On meds
January 28, 2005 5:05:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (More info?)

In article <K9OdnU__X_23umTcRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:

>Jim...I think the point is that Steam has yet to prove itself as
>menovolent. I tend to think Steam (and Valve...in general) is pretty

FYI, the word is "malevolent."

>They haven't sold my information to anyone, they haven't taken advantage
>of the fact that I'm connected to them almost everytime my computer
>turns on, and they haven't tried to take over or do anything "bad" to my
>games or to my connection.

Yet, yet, and yet. It's naive to believe that it could never happen... or
that some criminal hacker low-life isn't actively seeking to use your naiveté
against you. You have a responsibility to protect your privacy and your
property... you weigh the risks vs. the benefits, attempt to minimize the risk
if possible, and accept the price if you judge wrongly. But don't make the
mistake of believing that just because you haven't been burned yet, that you
won't ever be. That is foolish.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:05:08 PM

Jeff wrote:

> In article <K9OdnU__X_23umTcRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, James Garvin <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Jim...I think the point is that Steam has yet to prove itself as
>>menovolent. I tend to think Steam (and Valve...in general) is pretty
>

> FYI, the word is "malevolent."

Thank you. I should probably spell check....

>>They haven't sold my information to anyone, they haven't taken advantage
>>of the fact that I'm connected to them almost everytime my computer
>>turns on, and they haven't tried to take over or do anything "bad" to my
>>games or to my connection.
> Yet, yet, and yet. It's naive to believe that it could never happen... or
> that some criminal hacker low-life isn't actively seeking to use your naiveté
> against you. You have a responsibility to protect your privacy and your
> property... you weigh the risks vs. the benefits, attempt to minimize the risk
> if possible, and accept the price if you judge wrongly. But don't make the
> mistake of believing that just because you haven't been burned yet, that you
> won't ever be. That is foolish.

I've never made any assumptions that it would never happen. The risk
that it will happen in nominal (now) and the information that could be
gathered from me is also nominal. If I was to do a risk analysis of
using Steam, I wouldn't have much to go on...there is very little I
could lose and much entertainment that I can gain.

Further, Steam uses enough protection that it drives off many would-bes
and the real danger is always lurking no matter what I'm doing.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:29:04 PM

"riku" <riku@invalid.none.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:53:52 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
> wrote:
>

> Whee, what bright logic! Just to make you feel better: it doesn't
> matter if hundreds of thousands die within seconds, because they would
> die anyway some day. In fact, at some point all life will cease to
> exist from planet Earth altogether, probably much earlier than when
> sun expands enought to swallow Earth.
>
> So in the cosmic scale, nothing matters and people should not complain
> about anything, right? After all, life is futile, everyone will die
> eventually.
>
> Interesting someone would bring that up on a newsgroup called
> comp.sys.IBM.PC.GAMES.ACTION, though. I mean, come on, why are people
> talking about PC games here, when there are thousands of people dying
> all over the world EVERY DAY?!? And born too, which is gross too, with
> all the blood and screaming. Yuck!

So how about I take my car and ram it up your backside at 100 mph. Doesn't
matter that you'll die, you would die anyway, someday. Why should they even
put me in prison. Your logic is even brighter than mine.

As for babies, women should be genetically engineered to lay eggs that then
grow outside the body, and hatch nine months later. The birth would take
place in an automated hatchery, where the newborn is hosed off and delivered
to the expectant mother on a conveyor belt, much like luggage is received in
an airport. The waste products can be used for expensive gourmet dishes
that are sold to the Japanese for thousands of dollars a glass.
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 11:30:07 PM

> riku wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:53:52 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
>> wrote:
>> Interesting someone would bring that up on a newsgroup called
>> comp.sys.IBM.PC.GAMES.ACTION, though. I mean, come on, why are people
>> talking about PC games here, when there are thousands of people dying
>> all over the world EVERY DAY?!? And born too, which is gross too, with
>> all the blood and screaming. Yuck!
>
> A) Grackle is a troll
> B) ROTFLMAO blood and screaming....sounds like a great action game!

You call that trolling? That's too mild to be trolling.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:05:08 AM

news:p L2dnbN-r9Wt92fcRVn-tA@comcast.com...
> Jeff wrote:
>
>> In article <K9OdnU__X_23umTcRVn-sQ@comcast.com>, James Garvin
>> <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote:
>>

>>>Jim...I think the point is that Steam has yet to prove itself as
>>>menovolent. I tend to think Steam (and Valve...in general) is pretty
>>

>> FYI, the word is "malevolent."
>
> Thank you. I should probably spell check....

If Shakespeare could make up new words, then why not you.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:09:03 AM

"Civilian_Target" <tadhgp@bigfoot.com> skrev i meddelandet
> I don't like steam. It burns me.

Drunk again? ; )

lyset
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:37:55 AM

Grackle wrote:

> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>riku wrote:
>>

>>>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:53:52 -0500, "Grackle" <nowhere@lalaland.ca>
>>>wrote:
>>>Interesting someone would bring that up on a newsgroup called
>>>comp.sys.IBM.PC.GAMES.ACTION, though. I mean, come on, why are people
>>>talking about PC games here, when there are thousands of people dying
>>>all over the world EVERY DAY?!? And born too, which is gross too, with
>>>all the blood and screaming. Yuck!
>>
>>A) Grackle is a troll
>>B) ROTFLMAO blood and screaming....sounds like a great action game!
>

> You call that trolling? That's too mild to be trolling.

I didn't say you were a good troll...IRRC you have a failing troll
grade...you better get cracking the quarter is almost over...
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 1:38:55 AM

Grackle wrote:

> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:p L2dnbN-r9Wt92fcRVn-tA@comcast.com...
>
>>Jeff wrote:

>>>FYI, the word is "malevolent."
>>
>>Thank you. I should probably spell check....
>>

> If Shakespeare could make up new words, then why not you.

menovolent -> something that is not benevolent, but infact is quit
malevolent ;-)
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:46:34 PM

> Grackle wrote:
>
>> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>A) Grackle is a troll
>>>B) ROTFLMAO blood and screaming....sounds like a great action game!
>>

>> You call that trolling? That's too mild to be trolling.
>
> I didn't say you were a good troll...IRRC you have a failing troll
> grade...you better get cracking the quarter is almost over...

I'm sure someone out there is offering courses; or maybe I can apprentice
myself to a grand master of trolling, like they used to do in the old days.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:46:35 PM

Grackle wrote:

> "James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Grackle wrote:
>>

>>>"James Garvin" <jgarvin2004@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>You call that trolling? That's too mild to be trolling.
>>
>>I didn't say you were a good troll...IRRC you have a failing troll
>>grade...you better get cracking the quarter is almost over...
>

> I'm sure someone out there is offering courses; or maybe I can apprentice
> myself to a grand master of trolling, like they used to do in the old days.

I'm pretty sure they offer trolling classes at your local CC
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 2:52:36 AM

Golf33 <no@no.no> wrote in message 41fa08d6$1@news.comindico.com.au...
> Still not capitalising the "I" though. I wonder if that's significant in
> some way?

OTOH... English is the only language I know that capitalizes the first
person singular pronoun. Now, mightn't it be rather more interesting to muse
on the significance of *THIS* fact, possibly?

Alfredo
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:56:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Reminds me of the joke about eating habits.

I forget exactly how it goes but it basically lists a bunch of non-english-
speaking societies that have a very high-fat, cholesterol-laden diet but
very low incidences of heart disease. Then it points out the high incidence
of heart disease in english-speaking societies with similar diets and
concludes,
"it's not what you eat - it's speaking English that kills you!"

Regards
33

"Alfredo Tutino" <powernews@libero.it> wrote in message

> Golf33 <no@no.no> wrote in message 41fa08d6$1@news.comindico.com.au...
>> Still not capitalising the "I" though. I wonder if that's significant in
>> some way?
>
> OTOH... English is the only language I know that capitalizes the first
> person singular pronoun. Now, mightn't it be rather more interesting to
> muse
> on the significance of *THIS* fact, possibly?
>
> Alfredo

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:00:24 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic,alt.games.half-life (More info?)

Urk. That's an image I'll need a wire brush to scrub out of my mind.

!