Bonnie

This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
program?

I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired of
fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bonnie

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:30:01 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Might be an idea to name your old programme. Avoids anybody bothering,
or maybe someone can help! <G>

MyAlbum. My favourite.
Allows you to search for pictures of most formats not proprietiorial,
display as thumbnails and save the display. You can then either have
the thumbnails refer to disk (CD etc) files, or have the whole of the
files stored in a single self-running exe. The viewer can zoom, pan,
next previous etc etc. The exe is a little bit bigger than all the
files combined. It can obviously get big, but that's up to you. You
can then use either the reference version (files must be in the right
place on the disk) or the exe to display the pictures. You can copy
etc any pictures you choose. You could almost use this for archival
purposes, except that if the one file becomes corrupted, you have lost
the lot. Couple of minor bugs. The only one that really hit me was
trying to copy big (20Mb+) picture files from the exe version.

Irfanview.
IMO not as good. It has less options that I could discover, and
although it has an exe version, this will compress the files, without
your control AFAICS. While this takes up less room, it prevents anyone
from having a good copy extracted from the displayed pictures. I had
trouble even displaying larger files. They would display in the
non-exe version, but not once compressed into the self-runner.

>This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
>program?
>
>I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
>discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired of
>fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Bonnie

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

I have been using Adobe Photoshop Album 2 Starter Edition, a free program
from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html )
With it you make a slide show in PDF format, which is opened with Adobe
Acrobat Reader 6. It has basic touch up tools, red eye removal, and picture
rotation. I like the way the show looks on the computer screen and it has
nice transitions between the slides. I would buy the full version (on sale
this week @ Circuit City !!!) but the full version requires Windows ME or
newer ( I use Windows 98 SE, which works fine with the Starter Edition)
"Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> wrote in message
This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
program?

I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired of
fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bonnie

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 06:54:07 -0400, "Hu Ru" <secretasianman@usa.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>I have been using Adobe Photoshop Album 2 Starter Edition, a free program
>from Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopalbum/starter.html )

OK. Never tried it. My reason for liking MyAlbum is that it simply
stores the pictures, one way or the other. You get what you see. You
see what you get.

It's self runnning, and needs no other (PDF etc) stuff to run. It does
not affect the contained pictures.
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

"Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
> program?
>
> I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
> discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired
of
> fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Bonnie

Paint Shop Photo Album gives you a choice of formats for slide shows, and
does basic picture editing also. Try it for free for 30 days with a
download from www.jasc.com.

jay

In the past month or so I've played with three. I'm not sure I would buy
any of them yet. #1 and #2 are nice and might get my money, but I'm open to
suggestions from others too.

#1 Adobe Photoshop Album 2 Starter Edition. A plus is the .PDF format. I
can put the slide show (a single file) on a CD and send it two relatives
that use either MAC or PC.

#2 Paint Shop Photo Album. Had a Beta program for version 5 with a free
download. Fairly nice. You can make movies, web pages or slide shows.
Didn't seem real easy to use, but not too bad. Version 4 can be found at
good prices since v5 is coming out soon.

#3 Photo Relay. Came free with Roxio Easy CD creator v5. Did an OK job.
Its made by ArcSoft which has lots to choose from on their web site.

What ever you choose, most places will have a free download that you can try
before buying.

--jay

"Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> wrote in message
> This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
> program?
>
> I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
> discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired
of
> fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Bonnie

ME

wrote:

>This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
>program?
>
>I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
>discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired of
>fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Bonnie

I have used ACDSEE for years. I am using version 2.4, which I
downloaded and registered years ago. The latest ver. is 6.0. I have
no idea what has all been changed, but that older ver works fine, and
I prefer software that does the job with a minimum of bells and
whistles, which is why I never upgraded it. Therefore, I wont
recommend the latest version, but have always liked that older ver.
It's simple, easy, quick, and gets the job done with minimal fuss.

Their site is http://www.acdsystems.com

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 21:30:01 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Hello Bonnie? Luv ta hear from ya!

>This may be slightly off topic...can anyone recommend a good slideshow
>program?
>
>I want to make a slideshow of some wedding photos I took and I just
>discovered my old program won't work right on my new computer. I'm tired of
>fighting with it so I am looking for a new program.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>Bonnie

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 13:39:07 -0500, me@myhome.com was understood to
have stated the following:

>I have used ACDSEE for years. I am using version 2.4, which I
>downloaded and registered years ago. The latest ver. is 6.0. I have
>no idea what has all been changed, but that older ver works fine, and
>I prefer software that does the job with a minimum of bells and
>whistles, which is why I never upgraded it. Therefore, I wont
>recommend the latest version, but have always liked that older ver.
>It's simple, easy, quick, and gets the job done with minimal fuss.
>
>Their site is http://www.acdsystems.com

Hear hear! Excellent program!

I agree with you about 2.4. A friend of mine introduced me to this
application around 2.41, and I "borrowed" his key. After using it for
some time, I registered it, but by the time I registered it, the
version they were shipping (3 something?) was bloated and buggy
(crashed frequently, whereas the only time 2.41 crashed was
*sometimes* when you saved cropped images), so I continue to use the
older version and key. I like 2.41 so much that whenever I install
Windows on a new personal machine, I change the file association for
folders from Explorer to ACDSee. ACDSee 2.41, as old as it is, is a
far better thought out file browser than even the latest version of
MicroSlop's Exploder.

Bonnie

I ended up taking my computer to the shop so I didn't get back to this post
as soon as I should have. Sorry.

I see I forgot to mention a few key facts - I was trying to write a short
and simple post....so much for that idea!

I have Windows XP for an operating system. I used to use ProShow Gold vs
1.02 to make VCDs which would play on either a computer or a DVD player &
TV. I got a new computer about 6 months ago and just re-installed ProShow
Gold again. It doesn't work the same on the new computer as it did on the
old one - PSG can't connect with/find the CD/DVD burner now and the sound is
all garbled up, etc. <sigh> I took my computer back to the shop and had
some things checked out. It isn't my computer's fault. I'm just not in the
mood to fight any more right now!!!

I would like to be able to make CDs that I can give to people who don't own
computers, ones they can watch with their DVD players.

At the risk of boring you...I have tried several programs.
1. ProShow Gold vs 1.02
2. Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE
3. MS Photo Story 2 LE
4. MS Movie Maker vs 5.1
5. WIN DVD Creator

First off, WIN DVD Creator crashed my computer so bad I had to turn it off
every time I tried to use it! That is one of the main reasons I took the
computer back to the shop. The tech told me WIN DVD Creator is so buggy the
he doesn't usually even install it. He recommended that I remove it (so I
did).

MS Movie Maker only makes a format that will play on a computer. I know I
can use a second program to encode it again - but the quality degrades too
much doing that.

MS Photo Story 2 will only make a slide show with up to 150 photos. I
downloaded a free trial version ("optimized for sharing photos by e-mail"),
so I couldn't determine if it would burn to a CD correctly or not. I may
end up going that route, though.

I think Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 SE can only burn DVDs. At any rate, I
think I have a "light" version that shipped with my CD/DVD burner or
something. Is that what the SE stands for? I am sick and tired of getting
"light" versions of the software and then finding out they are basically
useless. Anyway, it will only load 20 photos. What good is that???

<big sigh>

What should I do next???

It shouldn't be this hard to find a program that will do what I want!!!

Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Bonnie

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:31:28 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> was
understood to have stated the following:

>It shouldn't be this hard to find a program that will do what I want!!!

If the DVD player supports reading a data disc (I know the dirt cheap
models at Wal-Mart do, so I imagine most will now), just use Nero or
anything else to burn a data DVD. Special software not required.

Bonnie

You are correct about the newer DVD players being able to navigate & display
..jpg images. I have a DVD player (bought two years ago at one of those
fabulous "day-after-Thanksgiving Day" sales that cost a whopping $37.00)
that can do almost EVERYTHING! My daughter-in-law has a very expensive DVD
player that can't do squat IMHO!!! Her player can only play pre-recorded
DVDs and either VCD or SVCD recorded CDs (I forget which format...). Some
of my husband's relatives have older DVD players that can't navigate .jpg
images. Hmm. Might be simpler in the long run to just buy them new
players!!! (but I would probably get stuck having to set them all up!)

I have an ASUS burner that can burn either CDs or DVDs. The slideshows fit
on a CD, which costs much less BTW, so that is the medium I have always
used. The DVD burner on my new computer is the first I have ever had so I'm
still getting used to it. The DVDs I have burned so far have mainly been
for data back-up and I have used Nero (5.5.10.54) for that.

I have all the mpeg plugins installed for Nero but I don't know how to run
them yet. I'm working on that next. I don't know if Nero itself will go
the encoding or if I need another encoder. Is there a good web site that
explains all this stuff anywhere?

Thanks to everyone for their help and input.
Bonnie

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:35:21 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
<SpammersAreLosers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> vaguely proposed a
theory
.......and in reply I say!:

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:31:28 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> was
>understood to have stated the following:
>
>>It shouldn't be this hard to find a program that will do what I want!!!
>
>If the DVD player supports reading a data disc (I know the dirt cheap
>models at Wal-Mart do, so I imagine most will now), just use Nero or
>anything else to burn a data DVD. Special software not required.

OOI. What does the DVD player use to display the pictures, though?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:27:50 GMT, Old Nick <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> was
understood to have stated the following:

>OOI. What does the DVD player use to display the pictures, though?

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.

The Apex DVD players that you can find at Wal-Mart usually have JPEG,
MPG, and MP3 stamped on the side of the box. Older models will
sometimes be missing the JPEG 'logo', but I don't think Apex currently
makes any models that don't support JPEG.

So you can burn a CDR, CDRW, or DVDR with your images on it in .JPG
format (must have the .JPG extension, *NOT* .JPEG), as well as music
in .MP3 format, and movies in .MPG format, drop the disc in, and the
drive's firmware will handle the slide show.

Given that these drives are around $35 last time I checked, it's not a
bad purchase for those technophobes that you want to share your
pictures, movies, and audio with.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:56:02 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
<SpammersAreLosers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> was understood to have
stated the following:

>On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:27:50 GMT, Old Nick <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> was
>understood to have stated the following:
>
>>OOI. What does the DVD player use to display the pictures, though?
>
>Sorry, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.
>
>The Apex DVD players that you can find at Wal-Mart usually have JPEG,
>MPG, and MP3 stamped on the side of the box. Older models will
>sometimes be missing the JPEG 'logo', but I don't think Apex currently
>makes any models that don't support JPEG.
>
>So you can burn a CDR, CDRW, or DVDR with your images on it in .JPG
>format (must have the .JPG extension, *NOT* .JPEG), as well as music
>in .MP3 format, and movies in .MPG format, drop the disc in, and the
>drive's firmware will handle the slide show.
>
>Given that these drives are around $35 last time I checked, it's not a
>bad purchase for those technophobes that you want to share your
>pictures, movies, and audio with.

Oops, forgot to add....

(1) I bet even newer models (it's been at least six months since I've
looked) now support DVD-RW.

(2) All you have to do to create a disc is create your typical data
disc, and the Apex's firmware handles the rest. The 'pause' for image
display, if memory serves, is an unadjustable 5 seconds, but you can
always hit pause or next on the remote if the rate isn't sufficient
enough for you.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:31:28 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I have no idea about the others, but Ulead DVD Movie Factory (I have
SE) definitely allows more than 20 shots. I have just tried it to get
99 per slideshow. I think you can have 99 Slideshows! The limit would
be the CD/DVD size.

BTW, When you say "CD' do you mean DVD? They hold a heap more. There
are VCD and SVCD, and then there is DVD. According to me, with the
high SVCD quality, that still ony used 30Mb of data space.

What time are you allowing between slides? Rmember that any player can
"pause" the slides anyway, so 5 seconds or so is heaps.

DVD per slide is more data, but as I said....<G.

Sound would take a bit, but nada compared to the slides IMO.

>I ended up taking my computer to the shop so I didn't get back to this post
>as soon as I should have. Sorry.

Ok. I jump from time to time....

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:21:54 -0700, "Bonnie" <bkay48@comcast.net> was
understood to have stated the following:

>I have all the mpeg plugins installed for Nero but I don't know how to run
>them yet. I'm working on that next. I don't know if Nero itself will go
>the encoding or if I need another encoder. Is there a good web site that
>explains all this stuff anywhere?

For VCD or SVCD, I would look in to tmpeg to convert to compliant mpg
files. Newer APEX drives can play most .mpgs off of a data disc, but
the relatively old models I have access to do not allow you to seek
within a video stream in this manner. If you want seeking capability,
you'll need to burn a VCD, SVCD, or DVD. I haven't burned a DVD yet,
as I don't have any captures that are greater than SVCD quality
anyway. It's my hope by now that the currently shipping APEX drives
allow seeking within video streams on a data disc, so the conversion
to VCD or SVCD could be eliminated.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:56:02 -0400, "David W. Poole, Jr."
<SpammersAreLosers.20.dwpj65@spamgourmet.com> vaguely proposed a
theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Thanks for that. Interesting. Hand one out with each slideshow at that
price! <G>

>On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:27:50 GMT, Old Nick <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> was
>understood to have stated the following:
>
>>OOI. What does the DVD player use to display the pictures, though?
>
>Sorry, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.
>
>The Apex DVD players that you can find at Wal-Mart usually have JPEG,
>MPG, and MP3 stamped on the side of the box. Older models will

OK. Thanks for that. Hand one out with each slideshow at that
price!<G>

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 04:04:46 GMT, Old Nick <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> was
understood to have stated the following:

>>Sorry, perhaps I should have been more elaborate.
>>
>>The Apex DVD players that you can find at Wal-Mart usually have JPEG,
>>MPG, and MP3 stamped on the side of the box. Older models will

Really. I mean, it's probably cheaper to put a several hundred photos
on a CDR, slap it in an Apex, and give that to someone than it is to
give them prints. Just make certain when you are looking to get one
that you check the carton's labeling for the formats it supports.
Several years ago I bought one that I thought had jpg support, but
evidently this was at the model crossover. I believe everything I've
seen since then supports jpg. The first one I bought was $180, and I
bought it solely for MP3s; that was the first file format the Apex
drives supported on data discs.

Try Jask Photo Album. It has slide transitions background music and can
be burned to
a CD and played on TV using DVD player
Marian