How to recover the admin passward at XP startup?

May 12, 2005 2:00:14 PM

I accidentally lost my admin password at at start up of my home-use XP Pro.
I could use Guest acount only but some operation on system could not
proceed. Could any expert tell me how to find the password? Otherwise, I'll
have to reinstall the OS, which is damn awful.Thanks a lot!
Anonymous
May 12, 2005 2:00:15 PM

If you've lost or forgotten your password, you're in a bind. You can try deleting the Administrator password completely.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/editor.html

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

Roger wrote:
> I accidentally lost my admin password at at start up of my home-use
> XP Pro. I could use Guest acount only but some operation on system
> could not proceed. Could any expert tell me how to find the password?
> Otherwise, I'll have to reinstall the OS, which is damn awful.Thanks
> a lot!

Yeah - it's like losing the keys to your car, huh. heh

Hack your password:
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

Another Password Hack:
http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Disturbing lack of instructions on that second link <G>

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:uJqkkcpVFHA.3424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Roger wrote:
>> I accidentally lost my admin password at at start up of my home-use
>> XP Pro. I could use Guest acount only but some operation on system
>> could not proceed. Could any expert tell me how to find the password?
>> Otherwise, I'll have to reinstall the OS, which is damn awful.Thanks
>> a lot!
>
> Yeah - it's like losing the keys to your car, huh. heh
>
> Hack your password:
> http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html
>
> Another Password Hack:
> http://www.thomasmathiesen.com/itak/html/software.html
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP

May 12, 2005 2:00:17 PM

<SNIP>

Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
> Disturbing lack of instructions on that second link <G>

Very true..
Works well however. =)

My favorite part of that page is the fact that the author says, "Please read
the documentation before using them =)"
You have to wonder... Does he mean the whole sentence?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ask the administrator to give you more privileges. You may have to justify
your request for them.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban