New Driver 4.12

destroyer

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2004

hi folks

just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
hole menu is here...

anyone had the same problem?

thanks

(winxp sp2, ati x800pro)

BillL

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

"Destroyer" <judihoi@bluewin.ch> wrote in message
> hi folks
>
> just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
> strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
> the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
> hole menu is here...
>
> anyone had the same problem?
>
> thanks
>
> (winxp sp2, ati x800pro)

Hi

I have had this problem (not just with 4.12 though). Generally the problems
(e.g. very slow screen redraw etc.) were solved with a through un-install of
the drivers and then install new drivers - apologies if you've already tried
this. You can also try turning off VPU recover - this has worked for some
people with the same problem.

HTH

BillL

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On 14 Dec 2004 09:28:43 -0800, judihoi@bluewin.ch (Destroyer) wrote:

>hi folks
>
>just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
>strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
>the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
>hole menu is here...
>
>anyone had the same problem?
>
>thanks
>
>(winxp sp2, ati x800pro)

That's the normal slowness of CCC that everyone is complaning about.
Dump it and go back to the old way. Install the old control panel
instead. CCC is not ready for prime time yet.

(needs .net installed on your system as well.. )

Pluvious

In article <vpgur0l4p3m9c7hss9pmnqiv015ukr816f@4ax.com>,
Pluvious@knowhere.com says...
> On 14 Dec 2004 09:28:43 -0800, judihoi@bluewin.ch (Destroyer) wrote:
>
> >hi folks
> >
> >just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
> >strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
> >the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
> >hole menu is here...
> >
> >anyone had the same problem?

Every time you reinstall the driver the first bootup it does a test of
the AGP capabilities of your PC. Until it is finished doing this and
setting the correct settings (e..g fastwrites on/off, 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.)
everything will be dog-slow. You must logon to an administrator id in
order for these tests to complete. You probably knew all this, but I
took a shot ...

As you can see this action of the drivers is highly redundant. Go into
services.msc and disable ATi Hotkey Poller and ATi Smart. Just be sure to
enable it for one bootup if you have made any hardware changes.

"Bob Cronin" <rlcronin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Every time you reinstall the driver the first bootup it does a test of
> the AGP capabilities of your PC. Until it is finished doing this and
> setting the correct settings (e..g fastwrites on/off, 2x, 4x, 8x, etc.)
> everything will be dog-slow. You must logon to an administrator id in
> order for these tests to complete. You probably knew all this, but I
> took a shot ...

On 14 Dec 2004 09:28:43 -0800, judihoi@bluewin.ch (Destroyer) wrote:

> the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then

Try rebooting Windows again... That solved it for me.

--
James Frith j.frith@comcast.net

Destroyer wrote:

> hi folks
>
> just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
> strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
> the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
> hole menu is here...
>
> anyone had the same problem?
>
> thanks
>
> (winxp sp2, ati x800pro)

reboot

Gordon Scott wrote:
> Destroyer wrote:
>
>>hi folks
>>
>>just downloaded the driver and installed it... something is very
>>strange - the windows-menus are so slow... when i click on start, then
>>the menu appears first very hollow and finally after a few seconds the
>>hole menu is here...
>>
>>anyone had the same problem?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>(winxp sp2, ati x800pro)
>

> reboot

Actually its SMARTGART that is not initializing. Make sure and check to
see if the service is running.

Aslo type SMARTGART in run and check also.

TRENDING THREADS