outlaster virus

i have the outlaster virus, i received it from file sharing. i have xp.
i have no way to remove the virus, my virus scanner does not find or delete
it.
can someone help me please.
6 answers Last reply
More about outlaster virus

    crusty wrote:

    > i have the outlaster virus, i received it from file sharing. i have
    > xp. i have no way to remove the virus, my virus scanner does not find
    > or delete it.
    > can someone help me please.

    Is your antivirus a current version (not earlier than 2004)? Is your
    subscription also current and are the virus definitions updated? Are
    you scanning in Safe Mode? Googling for "outlaster" indicates this may
    be non-viral malware and that would also explain why your antivirus
    does not find/delete it. Here are general malware removal steps for you
    to try. It is crucial that you do all scanning with updated tools in
    Safe Mode.

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
    malware removal steps. You can find all the necessary web links, as
    well as the Steps themselves, on my website here:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    if the virus scanner doesn't find it how do you know you have it?

    From: "crusty" <crusty@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | i have the outlaster virus, i received it from file sharing. i have xp.
    | i have no way to remove the virus, my virus scanner does not find or delete
    | it.
    | can someone help me please.

    There are anti virus News Groups specifically for this type of discussion.

    microsoft.public.scripting.virus.discussion
    microsoft.public.security.virus
    alt.comp.virus
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    You left out the most important information... How do you know you have the virus ?
    What AV software found the infector and what is the full name and path to the file that was
    found to be infected ?

    Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
    Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

    Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
    Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

    1) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End

    Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
    SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
    Direct URL --
    http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

    2) Download and install Ad-aware SE
    (free personal version v1.05)
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions and then exit the software.

    3) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
    Choose; Unzip
    Choose; Close

    Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
    when you get to the menu dhoose [1] so you can boot into Safe Mode.

    4) Disable System Restore

    5) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.

    6) Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
    Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
    when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a full scan of your PC and delete
    all objects found.

    7) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
    Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
    { or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
    Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
    when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a final scan of your PC and delete
    all objects found.

    8) Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any System Restore preferences,
    (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),

    9) Reboot your PC.

    10) Create a new Restore point

    Dave

    "Dave" wrote:

    > if the virus scanner doesn't find it how do you know you have it?
    >
    > "crusty" <crusty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >i have the outlaster virus, i received it from file sharing. i have xp.
    > > i have no way to remove the virus, my virus scanner does not find or
    > > delete
    > > it.
    > > can someone help me please.
    >

    > i know that the virus is there because i saw it in my add/remove area. then i ran a search to see what it was and when i clicked on the folder it dissapeared from sight. now i can no longer find it by a search and my computer virus scan does not pick it up. my computer is showing signs of infection, ie: slow studduring screen and prosesses, explorer or just about anything at somepoint shuts down.
    the virus is OUTLASTER, i got it from edonkey. i do not know how to remopve
    it.

    It's not a virus..it's spyware.
    Download the various spyware removal tools that are recommended in this
    newsgroup.

    From: "crusty" <crusty@discussions.microsoft.com>

    | "Dave" wrote:
    |
    >> if the virus scanner doesn't find it how do you know you have it?
    >>
    >> "crusty" <crusty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>> i have the outlaster virus, i received it from file sharing. i have xp.
    >>> i have no way to remove the virus, my virus scanner does not find or
    >>> delete
    >>> it.
    >>> can someone help me please.
    >>
    >> i know that the virus is there because i saw it in my add/remove area. then i ran a
    >> search to see what it was and when i clicked on the folder it dissapeared from sight. now
    >> i can no longer find it by a search and my computer virus scan does not pick it up. my
    >> computer is showing signs of infection, ie: slow studduring screen and prosesses,
    explorer
    >> or just about anything at somepoint shuts down.
    | the virus is OUTLASTER, i got it from edonkey. i do not know how to remopve
    | it.

    I can't find any virus named "Outlaster" in the libraries I searched.

    So what is the fully quallified path to the file(s) that is infected with the so called
    "Outlaster" virus and what AV software flagged it with that name ?

    Did you even read my reply from Yesterday ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Security File Sharing Virus Microsoft Windows XP