windows xp and wep 64bit encryption

Last response: in Wireless Networking
June 8, 2004 5:26:06 PM

thanks for any help

I am using windows xp pro with a brand new linksys network card and a 3com office connect
wireless access point
I am losing my network connection about every 5 mins. I have it set up as wep 64 bit encyption.

in my frustrations I disabled wep and now it seems better? anyone know why that might be?

thanks
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 3:38:52 AM

Even i am facing the same problems. Currently, i have disabled WEP (yups i
did that :(  ). However, i have enabled MAC address filtering so that others
can't steal my bandwidth :D

I am using MN-700. If someone knows why this happens and the resolution for
the same, that will be great help.....

-Chetan

"bbry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> thanks for any help
>
> I am using windows xp pro with a brand new linksys network card and a 3com
> office connect
> wireless access point
> I am losing my network connection about every 5 mins. I have it set up as
> wep 64 bit encyption.
>
> in my frustrations I disabled wep and now it seems better? anyone know why
> that might be?
>
> thanks
Anonymous
June 10, 2004 2:05:33 PM

Try firmware and/or driver updates. Disabling WEP is a bad idea. Using MAC
filtering is only marginally secure, at best... someone could use a tool
called SMAC, spoof the MAC address of your computer, and get access. MAC
addresses aren't digitally signed and therefore have no utility as a trusted
identifier.

--
Steve
steriley@microsoft.com

"Chetan Nadgouda" <nchetan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Even i am facing the same problems. Currently, i have disabled WEP (yups i
> did that :(  ). However, i have enabled MAC address filtering so that
> others can't steal my bandwidth :D
>
> I am using MN-700. If someone knows why this happens and the resolution
> for the same, that will be great help.....
>
> -Chetan
>

> "bbry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> thanks for any help
>>
>> I am using windows xp pro with a brand new linksys network card and a
>> 3com office connect
>> wireless access point
>> I am losing my network connection about every 5 mins. I have it set up as
>> wep 64 bit encyption.
>>
>> in my frustrations I disabled wep and now it seems better? anyone know
>> why that might be?
>>
>> thanks

Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:07:40 PM

When you're losing the connectiong intermittantly, this is probably
after a XP security fix. Afther the fix this happens because the
Windows Zero Effort Networking (brrrr) keeps looking for new
connections.
After you've realised a connection do the following in a Dos box "net
stop WZCSVC". This will stop the search and keep you on-line.
Does anyone have the fix which MS has????

--
1magic