grant power users access to firewall controls

May 12, 2005 3:22:02 PM

I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to turn on and
off the firewall. is there a way to give them this ability?
May 13, 2005 1:36:04 AM

totoro wrote:
|| I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to
|| turn on and off the firewall.

Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

sometimes its required to troubleshoot netwrok services such as printing and
scanning images. we have a xerox large format scanner that the Firewall will
not accept as an exception. to use it the administrator has to turn off the
firewall. I would rather the user turned it on and off on demand, rather than
me deciding either I turn it off permanantly or the scanner resource (which
is unique and very useful) is no longer availalble permanently.

"Gordon" wrote:

> totoro wrote:
> || I don't want my users installing apps but they should be able to
> || turn on and off the firewall.
>
> Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.
>
> --
> Gordon Burgess-Parker
> Interim Systems and Management Accounting
> www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

May 13, 2005 7:41:05 PM

totoro wrote:
> sometimes its required to troubleshoot netwrok services such as
> printing and scanning images. we have a xerox large format scanner
> that the Firewall will not accept as an exception. to use it the
> administrator has to turn off the firewall. I would rather the user
> turned it on and off on demand, rather than me deciding either I turn
> it off permanantly or the scanner resource (which is unique and very
> useful) is no longer availalble permanently.

>> Why? Turning off the firewall is a security risk.

If you are talking about the Windows firewall, perhaps it's time to consider
an alternative?
!