Problem with Antispyware Beta1

I installed Antispyware Beta1 two months ago and ran it with no problems.
And then when May rolled around when I start Antispyware Beta1 it
keeps putting up the setup assistant everytime I start it up.
I did a clean uninstall of the software and deleted all traces of it fome my
machine, then I downloaded a new copy of Antispyware Beta1
and it still dose the setup assistant everytime I start it. And it keeps
saying the Antispyware AutoUpdater In-active. I keep turning it on.
But as soon as I restart my computer and try to run Antispyware Beta1
I have to do it all over again. Quite frankly I think you have a bug in your
Antispyware Beta1 software that needs attention. So what's going on?
10 answers Last reply
More about problem antispyware beta1

    Dwaggie67 wrote:

    > I installed Antispyware Beta1 two months ago and ran it with no
    > problems. And then when May rolled around when I start Antispyware
    > Beta1 it keeps putting up the setup assistant everytime I start it up.
    > I did a clean uninstall of the software and deleted all traces of it
    > fome my machine, then I downloaded a new copy of Antispyware Beta1
    > and it still dose the setup assistant everytime I start it. And it
    > keeps saying the Antispyware AutoUpdater In-active. I keep turning it
    > on. But as soon as I restart my computer and try to run Antispyware
    > Beta1 I have to do it all over again. Quite frankly I think you have a
    > bug in your Antispyware Beta1 software that needs attention. So what's
    > going on?

    Please post your question about the Beta MSAS in one of the newsgroups
    set up specifically for this program (and remember that "beta" means
    the software is unfinished and still in the bug-checking phase; never
    install beta software on a production machine):

    At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    newsgroups:

    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity

    These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
    newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
    information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):

    - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    - Password: spyware

    NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    BETA..................in the testing stage
    and you are doing the testing.
    On the website where you downloaded the program it also lists the newsgroup
    for help on Antispyware.
    Please post your question there.
    peterk

    safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I installed Antispyware Beta1 two months ago and ran it with no problems.
    > And then when May rolled around when I start Antispyware Beta1 it
    > keeps putting up the setup assistant everytime I start it up.
    > I did a clean uninstall of the software and deleted all traces of it fome
    > my
    > machine, then I downloaded a new copy of Antispyware Beta1
    > and it still dose the setup assistant everytime I start it. And it keeps
    > saying the Antispyware AutoUpdater In-active. I keep turning it on.
    > But as soon as I restart my computer and try to run Antispyware Beta1
    > I have to do it all over again. Quite frankly I think you have a bug in
    > your
    > Antispyware Beta1 software that needs attention. So what's going on?

    I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    They didn't help me at all.

    Dwaggie67 wrote:

    > I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    > They didn't help me at all.

    What do you mean? You *are* posting in a newsgroup. Since you are using
    the web interface, you may not realize that this is really a newsgroup.
    You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use a
    newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can
    use Outlook Express since you already have it.

    http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    explanation of newsgroups
    http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    - Set Up Newsreader

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    working properly
    http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    crossposting

    If you wish to make a comment about the Beta MSAS, then post your
    comment in one of the newsgroups set up for this product. Making a
    comment to Microsoft about their products here is not a useful thing to
    do. Since there are newsgroups set up for MSAS, your experience with
    the product should be posted there. In any case, you are not talking to
    Microsoft here - this is a public newsgroup and although some MS
    employees do post in the groups, the majority of posters do not work
    for Microsoft.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"

    I don't have an account for the newsgoups for Outlook express.
    My ISP dosen't support them.

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Dwaggie67 wrote:
    >
    > > I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    > > They didn't help me at all.
    > >

    > What do you mean? You *are* posting in a newsgroup. Since you are using
    > the web interface, you may not realize that this is really a newsgroup.
    > You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use a
    > newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can
    > use Outlook Express since you already have it.
    >
    > http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    > explanation of newsgroups
    > http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
    > http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    > - Set Up Newsreader
    >
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
    > microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    > working properly
    > http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    > http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    > crossposting
    >
    > If you wish to make a comment about the Beta MSAS, then post your
    > comment in one of the newsgroups set up for this product. Making a
    > comment to Microsoft about their products here is not a useful thing to
    > do. Since there are newsgroups set up for MSAS, your experience with
    > the product should be posted there. In any case, you are not talking to
    > Microsoft here - this is a public newsgroup and although some MS
    > employees do post in the groups, the majority of posters do not work
    > for Microsoft.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    The antispyware newsgroups are just for that. If you post your problem there, someone more familiar with the workings of the program may be able to help you. And MS personnel do monitor those groups, so your bug report will get noticed.

    Provide as much detail as you can, including the steps to reproduce the problem.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEC20F80-C455-49AD-A562-92018B228524@microsoft.com...
    >I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    > They didn't help me at all.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Dwaggie67 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I installed Antispyware Beta1 two months ago and ran it with no
    >> > problems. And then when May rolled around when I start Antispyware
    >> > Beta1 it keeps putting up the setup assistant everytime I start it up.
    >> > I did a clean uninstall of the software and deleted all traces of it
    >> > fome my machine, then I downloaded a new copy of Antispyware Beta1
    >> > and it still dose the setup assistant everytime I start it. And it
    >> > keeps saying the Antispyware AutoUpdater In-active. I keep turning it
    >> > on. But as soon as I restart my computer and try to run Antispyware
    >> > Beta1 I have to do it all over again. Quite frankly I think you have a
    >> > bug in your Antispyware Beta1 software that needs attention. So what's
    >> > going on?
    >>
    >> Please post your question about the Beta MSAS in one of the newsgroups
    >> set up specifically for this program (and remember that "beta" means
    >> the software is unfinished and still in the bug-checking phase; never
    >> install beta software on a production machine):
    >>
    >> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    >> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    >> newsgroups:
    >>
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    >>
    >> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
    >> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
    >>
    >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    >>
    >> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
    >> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
    >>
    >> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    >> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    >> - Password: spyware
    >>
    >> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

    I just got a newsgoup account and I typed in Antispyware in and nothing
    came up. I got: There are no items which match your current filter criteria.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > The antispyware newsgroups are just for that. If you post your problem there, someone more familiar with the workings of the program may be able to help you. And MS personnel do monitor those groups, so your bug report will get noticed.
    >
    > Provide as much detail as you can, including the steps to reproduce the problem.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEC20F80-C455-49AD-A562-92018B228524@microsoft.com...
    > >I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    > > They didn't help me at all.

    > >> Please post your question about the Beta MSAS in one of the newsgroups
    > >> set up specifically for this program (and remember that "beta" means
    > >> the software is unfinished and still in the bug-checking phase; never
    > >> install beta software on a production machine):
    > >>
    > >> At this time, support for the beta version of Microsoft Windows
    > >> AntiSpyware is being provided through the following Microsoft
    > >> newsgroups:
    > >>
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.announcements
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.appcompat
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.general
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.install
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.networking
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.signatures
    > >> - microsoft.private.security.spyware.onlinecommunity
    > >>
    > >> These newsgroups can be accessed via NNTP or HTTP. To access these
    > >> newsgroups using HTTP, please go to the following location:
    > >>
    > >> http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us
    > >>
    > >> To access these newsgroups using NNTP, please use the following
    > >> information for your NNTP client (such as Microsoft Outlook Express):
    > >>
    > >> - NNTP Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    > >> - Account name: privatenews\spyware
    > >> - Password: spyware
    > >>
    > >> NOTE: No password will be required via the HTTP link.
    > >>
    > >> Malke
    > >> --
    > >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > >> Elephant Boy Computers
    > >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > >> "Don't Panic"

    Your ISP does not need to support them. Microsoft owns and hosts the servers, and they are publicly accessible.

    Click the following link to be taken directly to this newsgroup, in Outlook Express

    "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:92E6FF17-565D-4BB8-BB4D-BB65685A7354@microsoft.com...
    >I don't have an account for the newsgoups for Outlook express.
    > My ISP dosen't support them.
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Dwaggie67 wrote:
    >>
    >> > I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    >> > They didn't help me at all.
    >> >

    >> What do you mean? You *are* posting in a newsgroup. Since you are using
    >> the web interface, you may not realize that this is really a newsgroup.
    >> You will get far more out of this resource if you learn to use a
    >> newsreader. There are many good newsreaders for Windows, but you can
    >> use Outlook Express since you already have it.
    >>
    >> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page3.html#12-09-02 - a brief
    >> explanation of newsgroups
    >> http://michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm
    >> http://rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/support/news/howto/default.asp
    >> - Set Up Newsreader
    >>
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://aumha.org/nntp.htm - list of MS newsgroups
    >> microsoft.public.test.here - MS group to test if your newsreader is
    >> working properly
    >> http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm - how to munge email address
    >> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm - multiposting vs.
    >> crossposting
    >>
    >> If you wish to make a comment about the Beta MSAS, then post your
    >> comment in one of the newsgroups set up for this product. Making a
    >> comment to Microsoft about their products here is not a useful thing to
    >> do. Since there are newsgroups set up for MSAS, your experience with
    >> the product should be posted there. In any case, you are not talking to
    >> Microsoft here - this is a public newsgroup and although some MS
    >> employees do post in the groups, the majority of posters do not work
    >> for Microsoft.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

    My apologies if there was any confusion. These newsgroups are not on the regular msnews servers. Instructions for accessing the MS antispyware newsgroups follow:

    Viewing these Newsgroups with an NNTP Newsreader

    Since these are private newsgroups, your server will require you to logon using the following information:

    Server: privatenews.microsoft.com
    Account name: privatenews\spyware
    Password: spyware
    Note that the password is case-sensitive.
    Viewing these Newsgroups through Outlook Express

    Launch Outlook Express
    Select Tools - Accounts
    Select Add & click News
    Enter Your Name
    Enter an alias (you may want to consider avoiding posting with your real e-mail alias, as these newsgroups are exposed publicly through the web interface. More about e-mail aliases and privacy.)
    Internet News Server Name Page - enter privatenews.microsoft.com and check "My news server requires me to log on". Click "Next".
    Enter Account name - privatenews\spyware
    Enter password (case-sensitive): spyware
    Click Next & Finish
    Close and download the newsgroups.

    "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FE99184B-D468-4EEC-A99E-F2DAAF30A533@microsoft.com...
    >I just got a newsgoup account and I typed in Antispyware in and nothing
    > came up. I got: There are no items which match your current filter criteria.
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> The antispyware newsgroups are just for that. If you post your problem there, someone more familiar with the workings of the program may be able to help you. And MS personnel do monitor those groups, so your bug report will get noticed.
    >>
    >> Provide as much detail as you can, including the steps to reproduce the problem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Dwaggie67" <Dwaggie67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEC20F80-C455-49AD-A562-92018B228524@microsoft.com...
    >> >I don't understand what the newsgoups are talking about.
    >> > They didn't help me at all.

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I have the same problem. Can someone help us?
    --
    Antonio Luiz Soares Goncalves

    "Dwaggie67" wrote:

    > I installed Antispyware Beta1 two months ago and ran it with no problems.
    > And then when May rolled around when I start Antispyware Beta1 it
    > keeps putting up the setup assistant everytime I start it up.
    > I did a clean uninstall of the software and deleted all traces of it fome my
    > machine, then I downloaded a new copy of Antispyware Beta1
    > and it still dose the setup assistant everytime I start it. And it keeps
    > saying the Antispyware AutoUpdater In-active. I keep turning it on.
    > But as soon as I restart my computer and try to run Antispyware Beta1
    > I have to do it all over again. Quite frankly I think you have a bug in your
    > Antispyware Beta1 software that needs attention. So what's going on?

Windows XP