help wiht access control, thanks

Tim

Hi,
I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties. I
followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS. What
shall I do?

Thanks

Malke

Tim wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do
> it? The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on
> folder/file properties. But there is no security tab on the on
> folder/file properties. I followed the insruction of "to display the
> To display the Security tab". Security tab sill does not show up. I am
> using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS. What shall I do?
>
> Thanks

If you have Home Edition, you must go into Safe Mode to see the Security
tab.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Tim

I am using XP professional version.Thanks

"Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
> The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
> properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties.
> I followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
> Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS.
> What shall I do?
>
> Thanks

Tim

it's XP professional version, with Sp2

"Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
> The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
> properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties.
> I followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
> Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS.
> What shall I do?
>
> Thanks

XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

Additionally, your file system must be NTFS, not FAT/FAT32 to enforce file and folder permissions.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.