help wiht access control, thanks

Hi,
I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties. I
followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS. What
shall I do?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about help wiht access control thanks

    Tim wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do
    > it? The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on
    > folder/file properties. But there is no security tab on the on
    > folder/file properties. I followed the insruction of "to display the
    > To display the Security tab". Security tab sill does not show up. I am
    > using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS. What shall I do?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have Home Edition, you must go into Safe Mode to see the Security
    tab.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    I am using XP professional version.Thanks

    "Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
    > The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
    > properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties.
    > I followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
    > Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS.
    > What shall I do?
    >
    > Thanks

    it's XP professional version, with Sp2

    "Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
    > The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
    > properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties.
    > I followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
    > Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS.
    > What shall I do?
    >
    > Thanks

    XP PRO: In Windows Explorer, go to Tools, Folder Options, View and uncheck Use Simple File Sharing. Now, when you right click on a drive, folder or file (on an NTFS partition) and select Properties, you'll see a Security tab. Here you can assign or deny permissions based on user name or user group membership.

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308418

    HOW TO: Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and Folders
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308419

    HOW TO: Disable Simplified Sharing and Password-Protect a Shared Folder in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307874

    Additionally, your file system must be NTFS, not FAT/FAT32 to enforce file and folder permissions.
    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message news:OArzVS1VFHA.3620@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >I am using XP professional version.Thanks
    >
    > "Tim" <guyu_21cn@msn.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I am trying to grant access right to different users. But how can I do it?
    >> The Windowns Help says I can do it throught security tab on folder/file
    >> properties. But there is no security tab on the on folder/file properties.
    >> I followed the insruction of "to display the To display the Security tab".
    >> Security tab sill does not show up. I am using Xp with Sp2, under NTFS.
    >> What shall I do?
    >>
    >> Thanks

Security Microsoft Windows XP Displays