Group Policy Hides USB Mass Storage Device

At work my computer with Windows XP SP2 we recently installed a USB 2.0
port. When I log in and plug a PNY 1 GB flash drive, the computer gives me
the icon to safely remove this device, but it doesn't show it as a removable
drive. When one of the IT techs logs in, he can see it fine (I also have
Admin Rights on the local computer). We think it has something to do with
the Group Policy for my agency, but I haven't been able to find anything in
the KB. Any ideas?

Carlos
1 answer Last reply
More about group policy hides mass storage device

    This may be an issue where your IT department is hiding drive letters (other than what they expect to see on the computer). Right click My Computer, select Manage, Disk Management and see if the drive is listed there, and assigned a drive letter. If so, then your IT department will need to adjust their hidden drives policy.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Carlos Mercado" <cmercad2@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23cgHk41VFHA.2560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > At work my computer with Windows XP SP2 we recently installed a USB 2.0
    > port. When I log in and plug a PNY 1 GB flash drive, the computer gives me
    > the icon to safely remove this device, but it doesn't show it as a removable
    > drive. When one of the IT techs logs in, he can see it fine (I also have
    > Admin Rights on the local computer). We think it has something to do with
    > the Group Policy for my agency, but I haven't been able to find anything in
    > the KB. Any ideas?
    >
    > Carlos

Computers USB Devices Windows XP