x800 pro worth it? Or other ?

Hi all I just bought the x800 pro card from ati for 400 euro in greece
and I dont know whether I should keep it or return to the shop! My
system is p4 3.15 (over cloacked) with radeon 9700 pro. In rome total
war I get sometimes slowdowns since I am playing at 1280 resolution.
So I thought I should change the card. The difference in speed is
double from reviews I see at toms hardware. My system does not have
an pci express slot so the new x850 and x800 series is out of the
question. Rumor is that ati might release an agp version of these
cards but if they do they will do in january and that menas that a new
card will arriive in greece in march. Is this card worth it. ? I
wont be playing higher reolutions than 1280 since thats native in my
monitor. I wont play doom 3 but yes to hl2 so an ati is generaly a
better choice. Any thoughts?

Apostolos

I don't understand!!!

You say you got an x800 pro for 400 euro but later you say that an x800 is
out of the question!!!

The x800 pro is an AGP card not pci express and has been out for about 8
months, but you should know that because you got one for 400 euro.

So what's it going to be?

Warty

"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> Hi all I just bought the x800 pro card from ati for 400 euro in greece
> and I dont know whether I should keep it or return to the shop! My
> system is p4 3.15 (over cloacked) with radeon 9700 pro. In rome total
> war I get sometimes slowdowns since I am playing at 1280 resolution.
> So I thought I should change the card. The difference in speed is
> double from reviews I see at toms hardware. My system does not have
> an pci express slot so the new x850 and x800 series is out of the
> question. Rumor is that ati might release an agp version of these
> cards but if they do they will do in january and that menas that a new
> card will arriive in greece in march. Is this card worth it. ? I
> wont be playing higher reolutions than 1280 since thats native in my
> monitor. I wont play doom 3 but yes to hl2 so an ati is generaly a
> better choice. Any thoughts?
>
> Apostolos

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would return it. The Radeon 9700 pro is still a good card. Your processor
is overclocked so why don't you overclock your video card? The high price
of the X800 pro is hard to justify buying over the Radeon 9700 Pro.

You don't say how much ram your system has but I would recommend having a
1Gb.

But at the end of the day it's up to you.

Dan

In article <41c0c516$0$16576$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, d@d.com
says...

> I would return it. The Radeon 9700 pro is still a good card. Your processor
> is overclocked so why don't you overclock your video card? The high price
> of the X800 pro is hard to justify buying over the Radeon 9700 Pro.
>
> You don't say how much ram your system has but I would recommend having a
> 1Gb.
>
> But at the end of the day it's up to you.
>
> Dan

An x800 pro overclocked is probably at least 3x faster than a 9700...

If you want to upgrade it is not a bad choice.
--

DeRanger

Tactical Gamer
www.tacticalgamer.com
Your source for tactical online gaming.

"DeRanger" <deranger-x@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> An x800 pro overclocked is probably at least 3x faster than a 9700...
>
> If you want to upgrade it is not a bad choice.

Plain 9700? My understanding was that the X800 Pro at stock speeds is 50%
faster (1.5x) than a stock 9800 Pro. The 9800 Pro isn't a lot better than
the 9700 Pro. I also understand that the X800XT PE is twice as fast as the
9800 Pro. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I consider any video card priced over $400 to be ridiculous.

Anyone remember the days when you could spend $200 on a Voodoo3 or TNT2
Ultra and be "king of the hill"?

"Apostolos" <am59@ath.forthnet.gr> wrote in message
> Hi all I just bought the x800 pro card from ati for 400 euro in greece
> and I dont know whether I should keep it or return to the shop! My
> system is p4 3.15 (over cloacked) with radeon 9700 pro. In rome total
> war I get sometimes slowdowns since I am playing at 1280 resolution.
> So I thought I should change the card. The difference in speed is
> double from reviews I see at toms hardware. My system does not have
> an pci express slot so the new x850 and x800 series is out of the
> question. Rumor is that ati might release an agp version of these
> cards but if they do they will do in january and that menas that a new
> card will arriive in greece in march. Is this card worth it. ? I
> wont be playing higher reolutions than 1280 since thats native in my
> monitor. I wont play doom 3 but yes to hl2 so an ati is generaly a
> better choice. Any thoughts?
>
> Apostolos

Chingy

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004

Dude you are not making a sense here>

You said you gotx800 card then you saying you wanna buy it?

I dunno wtf r u on...take it easy on grass LOL

> I consider any video card priced over $400 to be ridiculous.

Bravo, me in the same boat and going one step further - no video card
currently on the market is worth its price except the up to $100 bracket.
Pricing in the "high-end" branch is overall ridiculous no matter Ati or
Nvidia.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. $100 was never enough to buy a decent video
card. I just don't like it when a video card costs more than my CPU and
motherboard combined.

> Well, I wouldn't go that far. $100 was never enough to buy a decent video
> card. I just don't like it when a video card costs more than my CPU and
> motherboard combined.

A decent video card u only need for gaming - for desktop/office
applications a ~$100 card is more than sufficient. If you want stutterfree
gaming today you have to pay $500+ for the card but a badly written driver
for this particular card renders your expensive card into a stuttering and
texture corrupted game experience. Catch22...the industry is on the best way
to destroy itself!

Hallejuja

jlc

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Well, I wouldn't go that far. $100 was never enough to buy a decent video
>> card. I just don't like it when a video card costs more than my CPU and
>> motherboard combined.
>>

> A decent video card u only need for gaming - for desktop/office
> applications a ~$100 card is more than sufficient. If you want stutterfree
> gaming today you have to pay $500+ for the card but a badly written
> driver for this particular card renders your expensive card into a
> stuttering and texture corrupted game experience. Catch22...the industry
> is on the best way to destroy itself!
>
> Hallejuja

That's not true at all. The 9800Pro still is a great gaming card and it's
going for less then $200.
Coupled with a 2.5Ghz+ CPU the 9800Pro will run anything on the market today
without a problem.
JLC

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
> "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
>> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Well, I wouldn't go that far. $100 was never enough to buy a decent
>>> video card. I just don't like it when a video card costs more than my
>>> CPU and motherboard combined.
>>>

>> A decent video card u only need for gaming - for desktop/office
>> applications a ~$100 card is more than sufficient. If you want
>> stutterfree gaming today you have to pay $500+ for the card but a badly
>> written driver for this particular card renders your expensive card into
>> a stuttering and texture corrupted game experience. Catch22...the
>> industry is on the best way to destroy itself!
>>
>> Hallejuja
>>

> That's not true at all. The 9800Pro still is a great gaming card and it's
> going for less then $200.
> Coupled with a 2.5Ghz+ CPU the 9800Pro will run anything on the market
> today without a problem.
> JLC

You make a very good point! - an more expensive video card ($200+) should
play on less powerful systems as well! 2.5gig+ ? Sorry, even 1.8gig is more
than fully sufficient CPU power...IF u know how to optimise drivers
properly. But ur right, me thinking of the "janitor" quality of most driver
developers out there who cant even handle assembler code properly. nuf
said....

:)

Before the likes of HLSL or Cg, wasn't pixel shader code essentially
assembler code, but written for crazy complex GPUs?

> You make a very good point! - an more expensive video card ($200+) should
> play on less powerful systems as well! 2.5gig+ ? Sorry, even 1.8gig is
more
> than fully sufficient CPU power...IF u know how to optimise drivers
> properly. But ur right, me thinking of the "janitor" quality of most
driver
> developers out there who cant even handle assembler code properly. nuf
> said....
>
> :)

I purchased an X800 Pro because I couldn't get the XT and my 9800 was broken,
and I am more than happy with the card. It overclocks to full XT speed (!!)
without even getting hot (temps are in the mid-40's), and it doesn't produce any
artefacts. I.e., it seems to be safe to run the card at XT speeds.

Looking at comparisons between the two cards (Pro and XT, for example at
www.firingsquad.com) it appears that the XT isn't much faster than the Pro
anyway, but since I can o/c the Pro so wonderfully, I feel like I got an XT now.

I'd buy the Pro any time again, preferrably the VIVO as it's got the 1.6ns RAM.

Achim

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:48:31 +0100, Joachim Trensz <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>I purchased an X800 Pro because I couldn't get the XT and my 9800 was broken,
>and I am more than happy with the card. It overclocks to full XT speed (!!)
>without even getting hot (temps are in the mid-40's), and it doesn't produce any
>artefacts. I.e., it seems to be safe to run the card at XT speeds.
>
>Looking at comparisons between the two cards (Pro and XT, for example at
>www.firingsquad.com) it appears that the XT isn't much faster than the Pro
>anyway, but since I can o/c the Pro so wonderfully, I feel like I got an XT now.
>
>I'd buy the Pro any time again, preferrably the VIVO as it's got the 1.6ns RAM.
>
>Achim

Well i got a ATI X800 Pro and its got the 1.6ns ram on it but i don't
think ati makes a x800 pro vivo card do they ? plus i looked a couple
pictures of X800 PRO cards on the net they don't have the rage theater
chip on them but mine does wounded if i got a vivo card some how :)

> Before the likes of HLSL or Cg, wasn't pixel shader code essentially
> assembler code, but written for crazy complex GPUs?

Assembler is the only low-level code out there working directly on (g)cpu's
register level. This means it's the fastest and most effective way to
communicate with a (g)cpu. U are absolutely right! by now the gpu got
crazily complex and
exactly that's what makes them so slow by traditional coding means. It's
time to remember old coding school rules - (g)cpu intensive parts of the
driver must
be coded in assembler to minimise the impact on performance. Yes, pixel
shaders, for one part, is a brilliant candidate for assembler. However,
assembler requires much more lines of code and a very deep knowledge of
effective coding (preventing spaghetti loops/code) but, at the end of the
day, the performance gain is mind blowing and very much rewarding.

Developers should think about this....the way it is right now is a bloody
joke!

Fastest, but not effective, simply because of the dramatically increased
workload on the part of the programmer. The performance advantage of
assembler will decrease once the HLSL compilers mature.

Bandit wrote:
> Well i got a ATI X800 Pro and its got the 1.6ns ram on it but i don't
> think ati makes a x800 pro vivo card do they ? plus i looked a couple
> pictures of X800 PRO cards on the net they don't have the rage theater
> chip on them but mine does wounded if i got a vivo card some how :)

Sapphire makes an X800 Pro Vivo.

Achim

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 15:01:08 +0100, Joachim Trensz <me@privacy.net>
wrote:

>Bandit wrote:
>> Well i got a ATI X800 Pro and its got the 1.6ns ram on it but i don't
>> think ati makes a x800 pro vivo card do they ? plus i looked a couple
>> pictures of X800 PRO cards on the net they don't have the rage theater
>> chip on them but mine does wounded if i got a vivo card some how :)
>
>Sapphire makes an X800 Pro Vivo.
>
>Achim

Yea i know but the card i got came in a ATI box not sapphire

Bandit wrote:
> Yea i know but the card i got came in a ATI box not sapphire

I really don't know about ATI. I read somewhere (here?) that Sapphire makes or
used to make cards for ATI, but I have no clue whatsoever whether you might have
a VIVO.

I always thought the plain X800 Pro had 2.0ns RAM, so your having 1.6ns RAM does
look like a VIVO to me, but unfortunately I'm not knowledgeable enough to shed
more light onto this issue...

Achim

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok thanks for the info

> Fastest, but not effective, simply because of the dramatically increased
> workload on the part of the programmer.

The programmers? - 'cuse me, we're talking here about making a better gpu
driver, right? A perfect device driver is the lifeline for any hardware
developer. Who cares about the coders workload? - get more staff, once it is
done, it's no more such a pain to maintain the code.

The performance advantage of
> assembler will decrease once the HLSL compilers mature.

...Talking about assembler here the performance decline can be expected
neglectable if the compiler is worth his money.

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Well, I wouldn't go that far. $100 was never enough to buy a decent
video
> >> card. I just don't like it when a video card costs more than my CPU and
> >> motherboard combined.
> >>

> > A decent video card u only need for gaming - for desktop/office
> > applications a ~$100 card is more than sufficient. If you want
stutterfree
> > gaming today you have to pay $500+ for the card but a badly written
> > driver for this particular card renders your expensive card into a
> > stuttering and texture corrupted game experience. Catch22...the industry
> > is on the best way to destroy itself!
> >
> > Hallejuja
> >

> That's not true at all. The 9800Pro still is a great gaming card and it's
> going for less then $200.
> Coupled with a 2.5Ghz+ CPU the 9800Pro will run anything on the market
today
> without a problem.
> JLC

This is exactly right. For the last 3 "generations" of video cards - in my
case GF3, GF4, and Radeon 9800Pro - I've spent almost precisely $200, and
I've had ZERO problems playing all the games that interest(ed) me. It might
take some tweaking, but who cares? I enjoy the challenge of turning a slide
show into 50fps. When I first loaded Far Cry, for example, I was a little
frustrated on my mobile 2500+/9800Pro/1gb pc3500 machine. This morning
however, I was playing on max'ed setting without a glitch (hit 17k on
3dmark01se, btw, for the first time;). The process of getting it there is
half the fun to me. If I want plug-n-play, I go to my Xbox. Also, to each
his own, but I don't particularly care to play the bleeding edge stuff,
which is even better. I'm much more into gameplay than graphics (although
they're both important), so I don't mind a bit buying and playing older
games - at 400fps ;))

I also have the advantage of passing all my "older" stuff down to my son's
machine, which allows me to compare the two computers on various games.
It's pretty rare that I can't make his run the stuff we want to. Yes,
sometimes we have to use my machine, but usually we can tweak his a bit and
get what we want. It puts the really high price, bleeding edge stuff in
perspective for me. I'm not critical of those who keep $1500 worth of new
hardware in their machines at all times. Again, to each his own. It's just
not necessary for me.

jakesnake

jlc

"jakesnake66" <jake@lycos.com> wrote in message

> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "SteveK" <nospam@iPrimus.com.au> wrote in message
>> > "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> video
>> >>

>> > A decent video card u only need for gaming - for desktop/office
>> > applications a ~$100 card is more than sufficient. If you want
> stutterfree
>> > gaming today you have to pay $500+ for the card but a badly written
>> > driver for this particular card renders your expensive card into a
>> > stuttering and texture corrupted game experience. Catch22...the
>> > industry
>> > is on the best way to destroy itself!
>> >
>> > Hallejuja
>> >

>> That's not true at all. The 9800Pro still is a great gaming card and it's
>> going for less then $200.
>> Coupled with a 2.5Ghz+ CPU the 9800Pro will run anything on the market
> today
>> without a problem.
>> JLC
>>
> This is exactly right. For the last 3 "generations" of video cards - in
> my
> case GF3, GF4, and Radeon 9800Pro - I've spent almost precisely $200, and
> I've had ZERO problems playing all the games that interest(ed) me. It
> might
> take some tweaking, but who cares? I enjoy the challenge of turning a
> slide
> show into 50fps. When I first loaded Far Cry, for example, I was a little
> frustrated on my mobile 2500+/9800Pro/1gb pc3500 machine. This morning
> however, I was playing on max'ed setting without a glitch (hit 17k on
> 3dmark01se, btw, for the first time;). The process of getting it there is
> half the fun to me. If I want plug-n-play, I go to my Xbox. Also, to
> each
> his own, but I don't particularly care to play the bleeding edge stuff,
> which is even better. I'm much more into gameplay than graphics (although
> they're both important), so I don't mind a bit buying and playing older
> games - at 400fps ;))
>
> I also have the advantage of passing all my "older" stuff down to my son's
> machine, which allows me to compare the two computers on various games.
> It's pretty rare that I can't make his run the stuff we want to. Yes,
> sometimes we have to use my machine, but usually we can tweak his a bit
> and
> get what we want. It puts the really high price, bleeding edge stuff in
> perspective for me. I'm not critical of those who keep $1500 worth of new
> hardware in their machines at all times. Again, to each his own. It's
> just
> not necessary for me.
>
> jakesnake

You sound just like me! I went through the same cards as you did, then I
finally left Nvida and got myself a 9800Pro. I also pass my cards down to my
daughters PC. I feel I really get the most bang for my buck going this way.
And in a year or so I'll be able to pick up a X800pro for $200. But until
then my trusty 9800Pro will be enough for me. JLC