Log In Problem

I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says the
password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and takes
me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed the
log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are insecure items
and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help
5 answers Last reply
More about problem

    ice wrote:

    > I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says
    > the
    > password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
    > doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and
    > takes
    > me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed
    > the
    > log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are
    > insecure items and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help

    You don't give a lot of details, but it sounds like you have hijacking
    malware on your system. You should do some cleanup. Here are general
    malware removal steps. You can find all the necessary web links, as
    well as the Steps themselves, on my website here:

    First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
    Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
    You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
    its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
    Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter] and then:

    1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
    antivirus using updated definitions.

    Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
    below.

    2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
    programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
    There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
    install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
    CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

    Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
    to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
    all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

    If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
    scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
    disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See below for
    HijackThis links, including sites where you can post your HJT logs. A
    combination of HijackThis and About:Buster works well in removing the
    About:Blank homepage hijacker. Again, this is an expert tool and
    novices should get help with it.

    3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
    Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
    Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
    With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
    System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
    (Run>cleanmgr).

    4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
    patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

    5) Run a firewall.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Same problem here, along with several other people. I double checked to make
    sure my browser is allowing cookies, what's the wrong?

    "ice" wrote:

    > I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says the
    > password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
    > doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and takes
    > me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed the
    > log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are insecure items
    > and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help

    Well, without knowing what page you're trying to log onto (including the address), its difficult to help you. If the page does not look "right", you may be logging into a counterfeit page, where they're only trying to get your personal information.

    And then, the web site itself might be having problems.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "ice" <ice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADFEB84C-407C-4019-B27E-4F296B24FF46@microsoft.com...
    >I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says the
    > password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
    > doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and takes
    > me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed the
    > log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are insecure items
    > and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help

    This happens when I try to get on "my space" or check my mail using the msn
    messenger. I can eventually check my email by going directly to hotmail.com,
    but its a pain. Has msn updated anything on their site lately that could have
    caused this? It worked perfect one week ago.
    Also my computer running XP home is having this problem, the computer
    running NT pro is not.
    Dustin

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > Well, without knowing what page you're trying to log onto (including the address), its difficult to help you. If the page does not look "right", you may be logging into a counterfeit page, where they're only trying to get your personal information.
    >
    > And then, the web site itself might be having problems.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "ice" <ice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADFEB84C-407C-4019-B27E-4F296B24FF46@microsoft.com...
    > >I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says the
    > > password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
    > > doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and takes
    > > me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed the
    > > log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are insecure items
    > > and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help

    I'm not aware of anything they've changed, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    "Dustin" <Dustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94FEE7B3-8D60-4084-9F9A-3A6669D5E286@microsoft.com...
    > This happens when I try to get on "my space" or check my mail using the msn
    > messenger. I can eventually check my email by going directly to hotmail.com,
    > but its a pain. Has msn updated anything on their site lately that could have
    > caused this? It worked perfect one week ago.
    > Also my computer running XP home is having this problem, the computer
    > running NT pro is not.
    > Dustin
    >
    > "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:
    >
    >> Well, without knowing what page you're trying to log onto (including the address), its difficult to help you. If the page does not look "right", you may be logging into a counterfeit page, where they're only trying to get your personal information.
    >>
    >> And then, the web site itself might be having problems.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display\Security
    >> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    >> http://www.dougknox.com
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "ice" <ice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADFEB84C-407C-4019-B27E-4F296B24FF46@microsoft.com...
    >> >I try to get to a specific page and when linked to get there it says the
    >> > password or login is incorrect. SO I enter the password, and again it
    >> > doesnt' work, the third attempt it finally recognizes the password and takes
    >> > me to some place I hadn't initially intended on going. I've noticed the
    >> > log-in looks different. O, and also, it always says there are insecure items
    >> > and I must answer yes/no everytime. Please help

Security Login Microsoft Windows XP