Cingular/Verizon customers in Texas question

I am with Verizon right now and am thinking about changing over next
month. I have been happy with Verizon but my sis has Cingular (CDMA
only) How is the service for both of these carriers in Texas? I live
in Waco and travel to the Austin area allot (Bastrop, Elgin, etc) I
would like to know about both TDMA/CDMA and GSM service.
Thanks so much!!
cj
5 answers Last reply
More about cingular verizon customers texas question

    "cjw21" <cjw21@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    | I am with Verizon right now and am thinking about changing over next
    | month. I have been happy with Verizon but my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    | only) How is the service for both of these carriers in Texas? I live
    | in Waco and travel to the Austin area allot (Bastrop, Elgin, etc) I
    | would like to know about both TDMA/CDMA and GSM service.
    | Thanks so much!!
    | cj

    I am not sure about Cingular's coverage in Texas, but they do not have CDMA.
    Cingular is TDMA//GSM. Verizon is CDMA.

    I live in Georgetwon, a bit north of Austin, and it works fine for me. The
    I35 corridor has great coverage from Austin to Oklahoma City. I don't know
    firsthand about Bastrop/Elgin, but their coverage map indicates GSM works
    all the way to the coast. If you're worried, you might try a GAIT phone,
    that will operate on TDMA/GSM/Analog.

    "cjw21" <cjw21@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am with Verizon right now and am thinking about changing over next
    > month. I have been happy with Verizon but my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    > only) How is the service for both of these carriers in Texas? I live
    > in Waco and travel to the Austin area allot (Bastrop, Elgin, etc) I
    > would like to know about both TDMA/CDMA and GSM service.
    > Thanks so much!!
    > cj

    "cjw21" <cjw21@hot.rr.com> wrote in message
    > I am with Verizon right now and am thinking about changing over next
    > month. I have been happy with Verizon but my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    > only) How is the service for both of these carriers in Texas? I live
    > in Waco and travel to the Austin area allot (Bastrop, Elgin, etc) I
    > would like to know about both TDMA/CDMA and GSM service.
    > Thanks so much!!
    > cj

    I have used both T-Mobile and Cingular in Texas. Cingular seems to be a
    little better than T-Mobile with it's coverage, plus it has roaming
    agreements so you can use other GSM networks (but this is a gut feeling
    rather factual). If you intend to go to Big Bend National Park don't expect
    be making phone calls, but in general it works for me.

    I should add that the main reason I use GSM is that I travel to Europe and
    like to keep be able to use my phone whilst there. A big plus is an unlocked
    V400 that allows me to buy a SIM for the local area, but I can also roam if
    I wish. :-)

    David.

    David wrote:
    > rather factual). If you intend to go to Big Bend National Park don't expect
    > be making phone calls, but in general it works for me.

    Actually, I was there this past March and was able to use my 6340 on
    analog in many parts of the park.

    > my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    >only)

    > my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    >only)

    no she doesn't

    > my sis has Cingular (CDMA
    >only)

    aybe TDMA only.

    --
    John S.

Cingular Verizon Texas Internet Service Providers