Sign in with
Your question

Q: Slow LAN performance with Windows using BEFSR41

Last response: in Networking
December 13, 2002 10:46:40 PM

This is a simple problem that is simply frustrating me. When I check "My Network Places" with Windows Explorer it seems to take forever (15-25 sec?) to come back with a list of computers attached to the hub. Why does it take so long when the names/addresses should be contained within the routing table of my hub?

I have home LAN setup with Windows 2000 laptop connecting to XP machine through a Linksys BEFSR41 router/hub. IP addresses dynamically assigned and only other network components are "Client for MS Networks", "File & Print Sharing", and "Nortel Extranet Access Protocol". The routing table is clean and easily refreshed (I remove laptop for work a lot). I can type in IP of my router (192.168.1.1 inside LAN) and it comes back immediately with reply.

Someone give me an idea of where to look? I'm fairly adept at networking but this performance problem has got me.
December 13, 2002 11:12:03 PM

for starters i would get rid of the nortel protocal. i dont understand why people insist on using network neigborhood.

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
December 14, 2002 3:30:54 AM

I believe I need the Nortel protocol for a VPN I have set up but fair suggestion. Er - if not using Net Neighborhood, what would you use? Even placing the URL in Explorer yields same delayed result.
December 14, 2002 3:02:54 PM

oh really? hmm, is that when you try to map to the name of the server? what happens when you try to map to the ip?

my computer is so fast, it completes an endless loop in less than 4 seconds!
Related resources
!