CF speed?

Now, if i look at CF cards, mostly SanDisk always states 8x speed, 30x speed
etc... What i'd like to know is what this means? I mean, I have Canon
PowerShot S1 IS and they say i must use hi-speed CF Card in order to
continously shoot movies at highest resolution (data rate is about 1.4Mbyte
per second). What IS this hi-speed? Is it 8x or higher? That 8x CF Cards are
pretty cheap, while i looked at Apacer Photo steno is about twice more
exepensive as SanDisk.

I was told that Sandisk Ultra II's are the fastest by www.jandr.com It's not
too much more expensive so i bought one
Richard
"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> Now, if i look at CF cards, mostly SanDisk always states 8x speed, 30x
speed
> etc... What i'd like to know is what this means? I mean, I have Canon
> PowerShot S1 IS and they say i must use hi-speed CF Card in order to
> continously shoot movies at highest resolution (data rate is about
1.4Mbyte
> per second). What IS this hi-speed? Is it 8x or higher? That 8x CF Cards
are
> pretty cheap, while i looked at Apacer Photo steno is about twice more
> exepensive as SanDisk.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:Ndggc.1121$37.158584@news.siol.net...
> Now, if i look at CF cards, mostly SanDisk always states 8x speed, 30x speed
> etc... What i'd like to know is what this means? I mean, I have Canon
> PowerShot S1 IS and they say i must use hi-speed CF Card in order to
> continously shoot movies at highest resolution (data rate is about 1.4Mbyte
> per second). What IS this hi-speed? Is it 8x or higher? That 8x CF Cards are
> pretty cheap, while i looked at Apacer Photo steno is about twice more
> exepensive as SanDisk.

Each 1x equals 150KB per second. So an 8x card transfers
data at 8 x 150KB, or 1.2MB/second.

Manufacturers such as Lexar have "acceleration" features built
into their CF, but this only works with cameras designed to
take advantage of it. Canons are not among these cameras.

We just got an S1 IS and opted for Sandisk's 1GB Ultra II
card, which has a minimum write speed of 9MB/sec (60x) and
read speed of 10MB/sec (roughly 67x), far above Canon's
requirement. All movie modes work great. The memory is
blazingly fast, although the S1 IS's images are only around
1.2MB at highest resolution and quality, so the Ultra II is
way overkill for this particular camera. We bought it in case
we ever upgrade to another camera with more megapixels.

Rick

Rick typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Now, if i look at CF cards, mostly SanDisk always states 8x speed,
>> 30x speed etc... What i'd like to know is what this means? I mean, I
>> have Canon PowerShot S1 IS and they say i must use hi-speed CF Card
>> in order to continously shoot movies at highest resolution (data
>> rate is about 1.4Mbyte per second). What IS this hi-speed? Is it 8x
>> or higher? That 8x CF Cards are pretty cheap, while i looked at
>> Apacer Photo steno is about twice more exepensive as SanDisk.
>
> Each 1x equals 150KB per second. So an 8x card transfers
> data at 8 x 150KB, or 1.2MB/second.
>
> Manufacturers such as Lexar have "acceleration" features built
> into their CF, but this only works with cameras designed to
> take advantage of it. Canons are not among these cameras.
>
> We just got an S1 IS and opted for Sandisk's 1GB Ultra II
> card, which has a minimum write speed of 9MB/sec (60x) and
> read speed of 10MB/sec (roughly 67x), far above Canon's
> requirement. All movie modes work great. The memory is
> blazingly fast, although the S1 IS's images are only around
> 1.2MB at highest resolution and quality, so the Ultra II is
> way overkill for this particular camera. We bought it in case
> we ever upgrade to another camera with more megapixels.
>
> Rick

Thanks. That was educating. Now at least i know, which one to buy...from
above i see that 8x is just a bit too slow for movie in hi quality...