infrared devices

Hi,
My infrared device drivers both are not working. I have XP home edition. The Serial Cable using IRDA protocol says: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43), and the VIA Fast Infrared Controller says: this device cannot start(Code 10). I am trying to connect my Nokia 3200 with my laptop(ACER Travelmate 290) via infrared and use Nokia PC Suite. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers has no effect, and i have not found any updates yet. I would appreciate any help with this greatly!
2 answers Last reply
More about infrared devices

    Wrong newsgroup; but is the IRDA enabled in the bios? Most laptops have it
    disabled by default, i guess to save power

    "ana" <ana.dobson@student.gu.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My infrared device drivers both are not working. I have XP home edition.
    The Serial Cable using IRDA protocol says: Windows has stopped this device
    because it has reported problems (Code 43), and the VIA Fast Infrared
    Controller says: this device cannot start(Code 10). I am trying to connect
    my Nokia 3200 with my laptop(ACER Travelmate 290) via infrared and use Nokia
    PC Suite. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers has no effect,
    and i have not found any updates yet. I would appreciate any help with this
    greatly!

    Acer laptops usually have the IR port disabled in the BIOS from the factory.
    Here are the steps to activate it on an Acer c110. Yours will probably be
    similar

    1. Restart your Acer and hold down F2 until you hear a beep (or series of
    beeps...) You will now see the BIOS screen.

    2. Press the Right arrow until Advanced is highlighted at the top of the
    screen

    3. Press the Down arrow until I/O Device is highlighted.

    4. Press Enter twice. This lets you change the "serial port" setting.

    5. Press Down arrow until Auto is highlighted

    6. Press Enter. The text "Mode: FIR" appears on the screen. This is correct

    7. Press F10. You are asked if you want to exit BIOS saving the changes.

    8. Press Enter and let the tablet reboot.

    That may fix the problem.

    "ana" <ana.dobson@student.gu.edu.au> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > My infrared device drivers both are not working. I have XP home edition.
    > The Serial Cable using IRDA protocol says: Windows has stopped this device
    > because it has reported problems (Code 43), and the VIA Fast Infrared
    > Controller says: this device cannot start(Code 10). I am trying to
    > connect my Nokia 3200 with my laptop(ACER Travelmate 290) via infrared and
    > use Nokia PC Suite. Simply uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers has
    > no effect, and i have not found any updates yet. I would appreciate any
    > help with this greatly!

Devices Infrared Wireless Networking