polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

Hi:

I'm using Windows XP with SP2. I can join 2 domains suceessfully, but during
logon, I only see one domain in the Log On Domain list (plus my local
machine). I expected to see all (2) domains that I had logged into before,
plus my local machine. Why the domain list does not keep all the domain I
have joined ?

Any information is appriciated.

Thanks In Advance !
Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

You can only be joined to one domain at a time. The list will show you the local
machine, the domain you are in, and any domains trusted by the domain you are in.

www.joeware.net

Polaris wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I'm using Windows XP with SP2. I can join 2 domains suceessfully, but during
> logon, I only see one domain in the Log On Domain list (plus my local
> machine). I expected to see all (2) domains that I had logged into before,
> plus my local machine. Why the domain list does not keep all the domain I
> have joined ?
>
> Any information is appriciated.
>
> Thanks In Advance !
> Polaris

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But the
domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of and
have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a member of multiple
domains.

Polaris

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You can only be joined to one domain at a time. The list will show you the
> local machine, the domain you are in, and any domains trusted by the
> domain you are in.
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> www.joeware.net
>

> Polaris wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I'm using Windows XP with SP2. I can join 2 domains suceessfully, but
>> during logon, I only see one domain in the Log On Domain list (plus my
>> local machine). I expected to see all (2) domains that I had logged into
>> before, plus my local machine. Why the domain list does not keep all the
>> domain I have joined ?
>>
>> Any information is appriciated.
>>
>> Thanks In Advance !
>> Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

As Joe said, you can only be joined to one domain at a time. To use
your own words, "you're" technically not a member of any domain in its
literal definition, the computer is. You may have a user account in a
domain but that's of relevance here. The drop down box is populated
only with the domain in which the computer you're sitting at is a member
and any subsequent domains it trusts either directly or transitively.
Technically, a user is also only a member of one domain, although an
account can be migrated or name-duplicated in another domain that does
NOT mean those domains will appear.

--
Dean Wells [MVP / Directory Services]
MSEtechnology

Polaris wrote:
> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But
> the domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a
> member of and have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a
> member of multiple domains.
>
> Polaris
>
> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You can only be joined to one domain at a time. The list will show
>> you the local machine, the domain you are in, and any domains
>> trusted by the domain you are in.
>>
>> --
>> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
>> www.joeware.net
>>

>> Polaris wrote:
>>> Hi:
>>>
>>> I'm using Windows XP with SP2. I can join 2 domains suceessfully,
>>> but during logon, I only see one domain in the Log On Domain list
>>> (plus my local machine). I expected to see all (2) domains that I
>>> had logged into before, plus my local machine. Why the domain list
>>> does not keep all the domain I have joined ?
>>>
>>> Any information is appriciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks In Advance !
>>> Polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

<correction>
You may have a user account in a domain but that's of little relevance
here.
</correction>

--

Dean Wells [MVP] wrote:
> As Joe said, you can only be joined to one domain at a time. To use
> your own words, "you're" technically not a member of any domain in its
> literal definition, the computer is. You may have a user account in a
> domain but that's of relevance here. The drop down box is populated
> only with the domain in which the computer you're sitting at is a
> member and any subsequent domains it trusts either directly or
> transitively. Technically, a user is also only a member of one
> domain, although an account can be migrated or name-duplicated in
> another domain that does NOT mean those domains will appear.
>

> Polaris wrote:
>> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But
>> the domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a
>> member of and have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a
>> member of multiple domains.
>>
>> Polaris
>>
>> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> You can only be joined to one domain at a time. The list will show
>>> you the local machine, the domain you are in, and any domains
>>> trusted by the domain you are in.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
>>> www.joeware.net

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

To add to what Dean said, in this sentence

> But the
> domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of and
> have logged on once before...

it almost sounds like you have joined your machine to various domains and think
that those all should be listed. Once your computer joins a domain, it is no
longer joined to any other domain. I.E. You can't join the machine to domain1,
then domain2, then domain3 and expect all of the domains to be in the list -
UNLESS all of the domains are connected via trusts say they are all in one forest.

A easier to understand example may be this. Your machine is a member of the
domain you have at work. You then join it to a domain you have at home. At that
point, the machine is no longer a member of the work domain, it is a member of
the home domain and will only show home resources. If you go back to work and
rejoin it to work, it will no longer no anything about your home environment.

www.joeware.net

Polaris wrote:
> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But the
> domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of and
> have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a member of multiple
> domains.
>
> Polaris
>
> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>You can only be joined to one domain at a time. The list will show you the
>>local machine, the domain you are in, and any domains trusted by the
>>domain you are in.
>>
>>--
>>Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
>>www.joeware.net
>>

>>Polaris wrote:
>>
>>>Hi:
>>>
>>>I'm using Windows XP with SP2. I can join 2 domains suceessfully, but
>>>during logon, I only see one domain in the Log On Domain list (plus my
>>>local machine). I expected to see all (2) domains that I had logged into
>>>before, plus my local machine. Why the domain list does not keep all the
>>>domain I have joined ?
>>>
>>>Any information is appriciated.
>>>
>>>Thanks In Advance !
>>>Polaris

polaris

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

Thanks guys! The domains I mentioned are not in the same forest. THanks for
your time to help.

"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But the
> domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of
and
> have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a member of multiple
> domains.

No ... The domain list is exactly what Joe said it is ... The local PC, the
domain the computer is currently a member of, and any domains that are
trusted by the domain the computer is currently a member of ... It has
nothing to do with what user(s) are members of what domains ... And,
technically, a user can't be a member of multiple domains, either ... He/She
can be a member of one domain, have access to others, and even have an
identical username and password in another domain ... But a user, just like
a computer, is only a member of one domain ...

FYI, it doesn't matter whether or not the domains are in different forests
as to whether they show up or not ... It has to do with whether the domain
is trusted or not ...

> Thanks guys! The domains I mentioned are not in the same forest. THanks
for
> your time to help.
>
> Polaris
>
> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > To add to what Dean said, in this sentence
> >
> > > But the
> > > domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member
of
> > > and
> > > have logged on once before...
> >
> > it almost sounds like you have joined your machine to various domains
and
> > think that those all should be listed. Once your computer joins a
domain,
> > it is no longer joined to any other domain. I.E. You can't join the
> > machine to domain1, then domain2, then domain3 and expect all of the
> > domains to be in the list - UNLESS all of the domains are connected via
> > trusts say they are all in one forest.
> >
> > A easier to understand example may be this. Your machine is a member of
> > the domain you have at work. You then join it to a domain you have at
> > home. At that point, the machine is no longer a member of the work
domain,
> > it is a member of the home domain and will only show home resources. If
> > you go back to work and rejoin it to work, it will no longer no anything
> > about your home environment.
> >

> > --
> > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> > www.joeware.net
> >

> > Polaris wrote:
> >> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But
the
> >> domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of
> >> and have logged on once before... A Windows user could be a member of
> >> multiple domains.
> >>
> >> Polaris
> >>
> >> "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.applicationcenter.admin,microsoft.public.win2000.cmdprompt.admin (More info?)

Already answered, but here is another way to look at the issue of *your*
membership in a domain...

"Polaris" <etpolaris@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for your info. Yes, I can only join one domain at a time. But the
> domain list at log on time should show all domains that I'm a member of

How could this be? Until you actually logon, the system can have absolutely
*NO* idea of who you are and where you might happen to have domain accounts.

/Al