Need your advice on TV tuner cards

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand? And which model?
I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a close second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on monitor or on my actual TV).
May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I do not need HD capability.
Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).

My PC =
ATI Radeon 9600 XT Video Card
ViewSonic E790 monitor
Second monitor Samsung SyncMaster 192
AMD Athlon XP 2000+
Mobo: ASUS A7V8X REV 1.xx (Bus Clock: 133 MHz)
BIOS: Award Revision 1006 09/13/2002
Windows XP
2 X 256 PC2700 Installed Memory

So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews of the latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.

--

To reply to me directly, please replace the garbage before the @ sign with the name A-u-t-o-D-e-l-e-t-e-S-p-a-m (without the dashes)
22 answers Last reply

    I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. No experience with Pinnacle or
    Leadtek.

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:49:06 GMT, Knowledge Seeker
    <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote:

    >Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand? And which model?
    >I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    >I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    http://RadioGuy.com
  2. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    Hi;
    Very Good: MSI TVanywhere.
    Goof proof with advanced (ceramic-based) tuner chip.
    Totally compatible with nf* type boards and VIA's: can't say that 4 all brands.
    Pix quality: 100%AAA+++
    Highest quality of component.
    I'm sold on it!

    <Rey@RadioGuy.com> wrote in message
    > I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    > with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. No experience with Pinnacle or
    > Leadtek.
    >
    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:49:06 GMT, Knowledge Seeker
    > <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand?
    >>And which model?
    >>I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the
    >>inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the
    >>chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    >>I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may be
    >>others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City seems to
    >>have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
    >>one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    > http://RadioGuy.com

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:49:06 GMT, Knowledge Seeker
    <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote:

    >Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand? And which model?
    >I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    >I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    I've used 3 TV tuner cards over the last 3 years and the one thing I
    know for certain is that the inside of a computer is a very hostile
    place for a TV signal. Typically with cable, you have some channels
    that will show up quite well, some that will be poor and a few
    channels that will be unwatchable. I am currently using a Leadtek
    TV2000 and it has been the best of the bunch. The remote is especially
    good.

    For this reason (and the fact that I could use it with a laptop) is
    why my next TV tuner will be an external USB 2.0 model. I have my eye
    on the ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0 though I will likely wait until the
    remote control version is available. It's picture quality is close to
    that of a standalone TV - something you're not likely to experience
    with any internal PCI TV card.
  4. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "Knowledge Seeker" <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which
    > brand? And which model?
    > I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the
    > inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that
    > the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    > I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may
    > be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
    > seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
    > one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    I have the simple Hauppauge Win TV card and I'm very happy with it. It's
    cheap and works great.
    I run a VCR into it that is hooked up to my Digital Cable box. I output the
    signal through my 9800pro to my TV using the S-Video jacks when I want to
    watch something I've taped on my TV instead on my PC. Works very well. I had
    a ATI TV wonder card before the Hauppauge and I like the Hauppauge much
    better. JLC
  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:54:50 GMT, Rey@RadioGuy.com wrote:

    >I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    >with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. No experience with Pinnacle or
    >Leadtek.

    I'll second that vote for Hauppauge WinTV PVR250. Hauppauge have been in the TV
    card business for quite a few years & there is good support. There is also a
    flourishing user community who hang out in the forums at www.shspvr.com There
    are also many 3rd party applications both freeware & commercial that support the
    PVR 250.

    --
    Nigel Barker
    Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

    My experience has been just the opposite...

    ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder cars perform admirably( I have 3 in 3 different
    computers), while the Hauppage delivered absolutely horrid results (tried 3
    cards in 2 computers, so I know it was not a case of bad card or bad
    computer). The Pinnacle is limited and the Leadtek is overpriced, but I have
    heard good things about it from the few I know who have one.

    Bobby

    "Nigel Barker" <nigel@hp.com> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:54:50 GMT, Rey@RadioGuy.com wrote:
    >
    >>I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    >>with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. No experience with Pinnacle or
    >>Leadtek.
    >
    > I'll second that vote for Hauppauge WinTV PVR250. Hauppauge have been in
    > the TV
    > card business for quite a few years & there is good support. There is also
    > flourishing user community who hang out in the forums at www.shspvr.com
    > There
    > are also many 3rd party applications both freeware & commercial that
    > support the
    > PVR 250.
    >
    > --
    > Nigel Barker
    > Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur
  7. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    Nigel Barker wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:54:50 GMT, Rey@RadioGuy.com wrote:
    >
    >>I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    >>with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250. No experience with Pinnacle or
    >>Leadtek.
    >
    > I'll second that vote for Hauppauge WinTV PVR250. Hauppauge have been in
    > the TV card business for quite a few years & there is good support. There
    > is also a flourishing user community who hang out in the forums at
    > www.shspvr.com There are also many 3rd party applications both freeware &
    > commercial that support the PVR 250.

    Downside is that you only get compressed video out of it and that only using
    the compression algorithms built into the chip they use. At this point
    somebody generally says that you "just turn off compression in the driver",
    but it's not that simple because there is no pin on the chip that provides
    an uncompressed output and there is no pin on the chip and no command that
    it recognizes that turn off compression. In otherwords, it's hard-wired
    for specific compression algorithms and the algorithms aren't upgradeable.

    While it's a very nice board for many purposes, one should be aware of these
    limitations.

    > --
    > Nigel Barker
    > Live from the sunny Cote d'Azur

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    I am using the ATI Radion 9000. I got it when it first came out. I find it
    to be working okay for me. I had no problems with it. There are higher end
    models that will give more options.

    I've also heard good things about the Hauppauge, and the Pinnacle.

    --

    Jerry G.
    =====

[...]

  9. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "Lee" <sonofacrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > JLC, you didn't tell him about the dark scenes!
    >
    > I am happy with my WinTV 150, this has the same encoding hardware as
    > the 250 and 350 I believe, only it was a fraction of the cost.
    > Although it causes me no problems (except having to very occasionally
    > restart the PC to stop the choppy picture),

    Hey Lee, when the picture becomes choppy do you also lose all sound on your
    PC? That's the biggest quirk I have with the 150 card. It seems to mostly
    happen when I mess with timeshifting. Other than that It's the best $70
    Tv/Tuner capture card I had yet. I love the MPEG editor for chopping out
    the commercials.
  10. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    > Fly, no the sounds stays in sync with the choppy picture. Do you have
    > the same problem with dark scenes?

    I haven't had a chance to look into that issue. Since I'm recording only
    stuff off TV I don't have an A/B comparison. Do you know if it obeys
    Macrovision? I could try pausing a DVD and do the A/B.

    When I get the choppy picture I also lose sound. Not only in the WinTV app
    but all PC sound. Funny thing is that when I shutdown, the shutdown sound
    plays.
  11. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

    Lady Chatterly wrote:

    > In article <32e4seF3k9a0eU5@uni-berlin.de> Jerry G.
    > <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I've also heard good things about the Hauppauge, and the Pinnacle.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some good bug spray ? Preferrably something that
    > doesn't disturb the ecosystem, but gets rid of the incredibly pesky
    > bugs... ESP the kind that get under your skin. TANTE !

    I used to know a guy who drank Permethrin before he went out, so that any
    mosquito that bit him died horribly. Don't know how well that worked, but
    he swore by it. He being the kind of guy who would drink Permethrin and
    all, it was kind of hard to tell if it had done him any damage.

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
  12. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:49:06 +0000, Knowledge Seeker wrote:

    > So, what should I get?

    Two tin cans and a piece of string!
    --
    Parko
    Registered Linux User #339345

    > Decoding is fine. The quality of the DVD playback is top notch (I use
    > the nVidia software MPEG decoder with a FX5700 VGA card).
    >
    > The problem I think lies in the encoding (WinTV card) as everything is
    > encoded and written to disk before being decoded and squirted out the
    > VGA card the same way a DVD is.

    You didn't quote my post but if you are refering to my DVD reference I
    simply meant that if I recorded from the DVD player I could pause and A/B
    compare the dark parts of the scene. No big deal because it probably won't
    record Macrovision anyway.

    Another interesting quirk with this card is confirmed by technical support.
    You can't modify the bitrate and resolution settings except by creating a
    *new* profile. After the profile is created you can't modify it. And there
    is no support for deleting a profile. You can probably do it in the
    registry but this is a silly user interface error. There response was that
    they don't support the advanced menu. I have no idea why setting the
    bitrate of the recorded MPEG should be an unsupported *advanced* feature.

    Still for recording TV shows this card is much better than my Pinnacle PCTV.
  14. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "Lee" <sonofacrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > JLC, you didn't tell him about the dark scenes!
    >
    > I am happy with my WinTV 150, this has the same encoding hardware as
    > the 250 and 350 I believe, only it was a fraction of the cost.
    > Although it causes me no problems (except having to very occasionally
    > restart the PC to stop the choppy picture), I am looking around for a
    > card with improved encoding capabilities. When the light level drops
    > you lose a lot of detail and depth of colour, large parts of the
    > picture become solid when there should be detail, enough to ruin a
    > scene, for me anyway.
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone had compared nVidia's NVTV cards to the WinTV
    > range, if so, is there any improvement?

    I've never had any problem like you describe with my card. JLC
  15. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

    "Lady Chatterly" <jerryg50@catcher.in.the.rye> wrote in message
    > In article <32e4seF3k9a0eU5@uni-berlin.de> Jerry G.
    > <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >I've also heard good things about the Hauppauge, and the Pinnacle.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some good bug spray ? Preferrably something that
    > doesn't disturb the ecosystem, but gets rid of the incredibly pesky
    > bugs... ESP the kind that get under your skin. TANTE !

    Try Mugwump Jism. Bug Powder Dust will impair your driving.
  16. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    "Knowledge Seeker" <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which
    brand? And which model?
    > I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the
    inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the
    chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    > I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may
    be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
    seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
    one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edi
    tion--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

    > Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a close
    second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on
    monitor or on my actual TV).
    > May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not
    planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
    > Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I do
    not need HD capability.
    > Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder
    card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).

    >So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews of
    the >latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.

    You don't need an HDTV to watch HDTV. Just watch it on your monitor with the
    HDTV Wonder. It will also do the other things you list.

    If you insist on staying analog this may be of interest.
    http://www.ati.com/products/theater550/index.html
  17. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    ATI or Hauppauge cheap. www.ebay.com has some for <$30.

    You may pick one or the other for compatibility with other free PVR
    software, eg. MythTv

    see
    http://www.shspvr.com/
    http://www.mythtv.org/

    ---

    But either one will come with all the software you need for basic time
    shifting and recording/playback from your HD.

    ---

    Also, if you have $$, you can look at the latest ATI HDTV tuner card or
    the 3rd party HDTV tuner cards on sale at www.ebay.com. Works off
    regular antenna broadcasts, and they'll give you even higher quality TV
    show recordings.
  18. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter (More info?)

    <knone@zilch.com.invalid> wrote:

    > >"Knowledge Seeker" <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > >> Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which
    > >brand? And which model?
    > >> I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in
    the
    > >inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that
    the
    > >chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    > >> I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There
    may
    > >be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
    > >seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
    >
    >one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Ed
    > >tion--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    > >>
    > >> Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a
    close
    > >second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on
    > >monitor or on my actual TV).
    > >> May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not
    > >planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
    > >> Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I
    do
    > >not need HD capability.
    > >> Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder
    > >card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).
    > >>
    > >>So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews
    of
    > >the >latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.
    > >
    > >You don't need an HDTV to watch HDTV. Just watch it on your monitor with
    the
    > >HDTV Wonder. It will also do the other things you list.
    >
    > Hon. Am I not speaking *sllloooowwwwllly* enough for you?
    >
    > --
    > Lady Chatterly
    >
    > "Neither he nor I even have the time to read all the attention you
    > give us now. Only Lady Chatterly can keep up with the constant flow
    > of Yingarrhea." -- Daedalus

    Try coherent.
  19. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 05:54:50 GMT, Rey@RadioGuy.com wrote:

    >I'd avoid the All-In-Wonder card like the plague. Been real happy
    >with my Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250.

    After much reading (and owning an AIW 9800 Pro), I'd agree.
    Go with the Hauppauge PVR 250. Particularly if you want to play with
    XP MCE or Beyond Tv.
  20. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    After having twice bought Allinwonder's,the first PCI card was twice
    replaced (after weeks of E-Mails and phone calls to ATI) before I got a
    refund. The second one (AGP) failed after three weeks and I asked for a
    refund rather than a replacement. I bought a Compro Videomate TV Gold PlusII
    last month and am very pleased with it. An initial problem was quickly
    sorted
    out by E-Mail and the latest driver.
    http://www.comprousa.com/index.htm
    Andrew

    "Knowledge Seeker" <AbsolutelyNoSpamAccepted@mchsi.com> wrote in message
    > Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which
    > brand? And which model?
    > I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the
    > inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that
    > the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    > I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may
    > be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City
    > seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right
    > one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    > Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a close
    > second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on
    > monitor or on my actual TV).
    > May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not
    > planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
    > Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I do
    > not need HD capability.
    > Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder
    > card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).
    >
    > My PC =
    > ATI Radeon 9600 XT Video Card
    > ViewSonic E790 monitor
    > Second monitor Samsung SyncMaster 192
    > AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    > Mobo: ASUS A7V8X REV 1.xx (Bus Clock: 133 MHz)
    > BIOS: Award Revision 1006 09/13/2002
    > Windows XP
    > 2 X 256 PC2700 Installed Memory
    >
    > So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews
    > of the latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.
    >
    > --
    >
    > To reply to me directly, please replace the garbage before the @ sign with
    > the name A-u-t-o-D-e-l-e-t-e-S-p-a-m (without the dashes)
  21. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.video.desktop,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc (More info?)

    In article <DEjwd.1063$Z47.368@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com> says...
    > Subject: Re: Need your advice on TV tuner cards
    > From: "FLY135" <fly_135(@ hot not not)notmail.com>
    > Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk, rec.video.desktop, alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati, microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter, comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
    >

    > "Lee" <sonofacrab@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Decoding is fine. The quality of the DVD playback is top notch (I use
    > > the nVidia software MPEG decoder with a FX5700 VGA card).
    > >
    > > The problem I think lies in the encoding (WinTV card) as everything is
    > > encoded and written to disk before being decoded and squirted out the
    > > VGA card the same way a DVD is.
    >
    > You didn't quote my post but if you are refering to my DVD reference I
    > simply meant that if I recorded from the DVD player I could pause and A/B
    > compare the dark parts of the scene. No big deal because it probably won't
    > record Macrovision anyway.
    >
    > Another interesting quirk with this card is confirmed by technical support.
    > You can't modify the bitrate and resolution settings except by creating a
    > *new* profile. After the profile is created you can't modify it. And there
    > is no support for deleting a profile. You can probably do it in the
    > registry but this is a silly user interface error. There response was that
    > they don't support the advanced menu. I have no idea why setting the
    > bitrate of the recorded MPEG should be an unsupported *advanced* feature.
    >
    > Still for recording TV shows this card is much better than my Pinnacle PCTV.

    The short answer is that the Hauppauge software is only good for keeping
    drink rings off your coffee table. It's best to buy the card bundled
    with something useful.
    --
    _________________________
    http://www.ramsays-online.com

    Unless you want an All-in-Wonder card, I'd go with Hauppauge, the video
    quality is beter than ATI.

    Knowledge Seeker wrote:

    > Need your input. I would like to install a TV tuner in my PC. Which brand? And which model?
    > I do NOT want a USB interface but rather want a card that installs in the inside. I also know that different cards have different chips and that the chip is important but I do not know which chip is the best.
    > I have seen models from ATI, Hauppauge, Pinnacle, and Leadtek. There may be others. Was planning to wait until next year; however, Circuit City seems to have a good deal on a card this week (but is it the right one?)...http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/ATI-TV-Wonder--PRO-Remote-Control-Edition--100-703147-/sem/rpsm/oid/96826/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
    >
    > Primary purpose is to just be able to watch TV on my monitor, but a close second is to capture video feed to my HD to play back later (either on monitor or on my actual TV).
    > May want to eliminate commercials but that is not mandatory and am not planning to do anything more complicated with editing.
    > Do not have a HD TV and will not have one for a couple of years, so I do not need HD capability.
    > Have a video card that is good enough, so I do not need a All-In-Wonder card (want to stay with separate cards for regular computing and tv).
    >
    > My PC =
    > ATI Radeon 9600 XT Video Card
    > ViewSonic E790 monitor
    > Second monitor Samsung SyncMaster 192
    > AMD Athlon XP 2000+
    > Mobo: ASUS A7V8X REV 1.xx (Bus Clock: 133 MHz)
    > BIOS: Award Revision 1006 09/13/2002
    > Windows XP
    > 2 X 256 PC2700 Installed Memory
    >
    > So, what should I get? Or where should I go to find comparative reviews of the latest and bestest? Tom's seems... out-of-date.
    >
    > --
    >
    > To reply to me directly, please replace the garbage before the @ sign with the name A-u-t-o-D-e-l-e-t-e-S-p-a-m (without the dashes)

Radeon TV Graphics