Lost Administrator Password...

May 13, 2005 4:01:16 PM

My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and decided
to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on it.

He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.

When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password and
since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has no way of
loging in under a different user and resetting the password.

Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator user
when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten the password?

Thanx.
May 13, 2005 4:52:10 PM

Steven Sinclair wrote:
> My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and decided
> to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on it.
>
> He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.
>
> When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password and
> since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has no way of
> loging in under a different user and resetting the password.
>
> Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator user
> when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten the password?
>
> Thanx.
See the following link and the section on using third party tools.
http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...
May 13, 2005 4:59:31 PM

Alan wrote:
> Steven Sinclair wrote:
>
>> My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and
>> decided to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on
>> it.
>>
>> He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.
>>
>> When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password
>> and since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has
>> no way of loging in under a different user and resetting the password.
>>
>> Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator
>> user when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten
>> the password?
>>
>> Thanx.
>
> See the following link and the section on using third party tools.
> http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.ht...
I should have added (if you don't care to read a lot), that using
the emergency boot Cd method identified in the link I provided or
by going to http://ebcd.pcministry.com/ will solve your problem.
May 13, 2005 5:14:52 PM

Steven;
Something here should help:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org

"Steven Sinclair" <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:AEF2D4B6-63BD-4FAD-9A18-E14DDBDB72BC@microsoft.com...
> My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and
> decided
> to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on it.
>
> He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.
>
> When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password and
> since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has no way
> of
> loging in under a different user and resetting the password.
>
> Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator user
> when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten the
> password?
>
> Thanx.
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 5:14:53 PM

So...in other words...the answer would be...a resounding "no."

Why couldn't you just say that?

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Steven;
> Something here should help:
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
> http://www.dts-l.org
>

> "Steven Sinclair" <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:AEF2D4B6-63BD-4FAD-9A18-E14DDBDB72BC@microsoft.com...
> > My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and
> > decided
> > to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on it.
> >
> > He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.
> >
> > When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password and
> > since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has no way
> > of
> > loging in under a different user and resetting the password.
> >
> > Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator user
> > when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten the
> > password?
> >
> > Thanx.

Anonymous
May 13, 2005 6:35:23 PM

Steven;
Because "no" is not normally the answer in your situation.
It is normal for people to say such as you "there are no other users
programmed", forgetting the fact there is a default "Administrator".
You also apparently did not see step 10 on the link.
Did you miss anything else?
Perhaps you should go back again and verify none of the options work for the
computer.

--

message news:5547146A-B8FA-49B1-AAA4-E1F4BFC9DC82@microsoft.com...
> So...in other words...the answer would be...a resounding "no."
>
> Why couldn't you just say that?
>

> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Steven;
>> Something here should help:
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
>> http://www.dts-l.org
>>

>> "Steven Sinclair" <StevenSinclair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:AEF2D4B6-63BD-4FAD-9A18-E14DDBDB72BC@microsoft.com...
>> > My father went out and purchased a new computer with XP Pro on it and
>> > decided
>> > to utilize the administrator as his user and set a password on it.
>> >
>> > He then proceeded to go on vacation for eight months.
>> >
>> > When he came back, needless to say, he couldn't remember his password
>> > and
>> > since there are no other users programmed on the computer, he has no
>> > way
>> > of
>> > loging in under a different user and resetting the password.
>> >
>> > Is there any way to reset or clear the password on the administrator
>> > user
>> > when there are no other users on the system and you've forgotten the
>> > password?
>> >
>> > Thanx
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 8:18:46 PM