Anyone have a Minolta A2?

Thinking about getting one - anyone have any experience or own one? Worth
the money?

"Trader1" <chris.mead@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote in

> Thinking about getting one - anyone have any experience or own one?
> Worth the money?

Short answer: no.

I looked at one the other day. There a a lot of things to really like about
this camera. The EVF, Anti-shake, general construction, ease of use..etc.

But it all comes down to picture quality and unfortunately this one just
doesn't cut it. The amount of noise in this particular 8mp camera is
unacceptable, especially 200iso and greater.

Go to www.steves-digicams.com, for example, and compare the pix from the
A2, the Olympus 8080, and the Nikon 8700. The A2 clearly comes in last
place. A real shame.

If you have the patience and skill to do a lot of post-processing, it may
be worth your while. IMO, life is too short.

I have the A1, but would not buy the A2 or any other camera with 8 MP
crowded into a small sensor.
However, this reviewer thinks it's a pretty good camera:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/konica-minolta-a2.shtml

"Patco" <patco@mail.com> wrote in news:NXEgc.13456427$Of.2242179
@news.easynews.com:

> I have the A1, but would not buy the A2 or any other camera with 8 MP
> crowded into a small sensor.
> However, this reviewer thinks it's a pretty good camera:
> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/konica-minolta-a2.shtml
>
> "Trader1" <chris.mead@NOSPAMdsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> Thinking about getting one - anyone have any experience or own one?
> Worth
>> the money?

Yes, that review is particularly positive. It really had me going (to the
camera store to buy one) until I compared pictures.

From the review:

"As discussed above, and while manufacturers won't admit it, and neither
will many users, the reality is that the current generation of 8Mp digicams
are moderately noisy. Certainly this is the case in comparison with current
6MP DSLRs and even the better 5MP digicams. The reason for this is the
smaller photosites. Indeed, even at ISO 64, which is the lowest speed that
the A2 offers, there is some very slight noise visible. But where
technology creates a problem it often is able to correct it as well."

OK. Minolta hasn't apparently corrected it. When you compare pictures of
the A2 and, say, the Olypmus 8080 the noise difference is very noticable.
The A2 exhibits more than "moderate" noise, IMEO.

L.