ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis ???

My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for xmas
it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

jlc

"HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
> xmas
> it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
> someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
> play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
> suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of the
card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas :) JLC

Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will still be
able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer games..Any other
suggestions?

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
> > xmas
> > it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
> > someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting
> > play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
> > suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.
> >

> The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
> The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
> 9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of
the
> card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
> I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas :) JLC

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

JLC wrote:
> I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas :)
> JLC

If you have been a good boy, santa may bring it to you. Keep your iccle
fingers crossed.
:)

--
Get a grip

If I interpreted your message correctly, a 1.0 GHz CPU would be quite slow
for playing Doom 3, regardless of the video card.

"HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
xmas
> it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
> someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
> play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
> suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

Sorry guys I just read the original message and it appears that I left out
the 2 - they each have 2GHz Pentium processors PC's with 512MB DDR Ram.
Hope that helps - Any suggestions as to the correct model of Video Card or
the best buy for the buck would be appreciated.
Chris

> If I interpreted your message correctly, a 1.0 GHz CPU would be quite slow
> for playing Doom 3, regardless of the video card.

> "HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
> xmas
> > it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
> > someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting
> > play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
> > suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

HHI wrote:
> Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will
> still be able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer
> games..Any other suggestions?

Some more specs on the pc's the cards will be going into would be helpful.
There's no point fitting a fast card if the pc it's going in won't run it to
it's full potential.

The specs are in the first posting that I made.

"John" <john@nospam.com> wrote in message
> HHI wrote:
> > Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will
> > still be able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer
> > games..Any other suggestions?
> >
> Some more specs on the pc's the cards will be going into would be helpful.
> There's no point fitting a fast card if the pc it's going in won't run it
> it's full potential.

shawk

HHI wrote:
> Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will still be
> able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer games..Any other
> suggestions?
>
> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>"HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
>>>xmas
>>>it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
>>>someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting

>>>play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
>>>suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.
>>>

>>The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
>>The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
>>9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of
>
> the
>
>>card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
>>I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas :) JLC

Just for info most Sapphire cards are called Atlantis. Atlantis does
NOT necessarily mean they are stripped down. They can be either 128bit
or 256bit. The 9800Pro SE is definitely 128bit. Make sure you go for
the 256bit. Shaun

shawk

HHI wrote:
> The specs are in the first posting that I made.
>
> "John" <john@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>>HHI wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will
>>>still be able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer
>>>games..Any other suggestions?
>>>

>>Some more specs on the pc's the cards will be going into would be helpful.
>>There's no point fitting a fast card if the pc it's going in won't run it

>>it's full potential.

Your first posting no longer shows up here.

jlc

> HHI wrote:
>> Thanks, I have 3 to buy so I am looking for the best deal that will still
>> be
>> able to run Doom III as well as some of the other newer games..Any other
>> suggestions?
>>
>> "JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>The Atlantis model of the 9800 is a stripped down version of the 9800pro.
>>>The difference is that the Atlantis only has a 128bit bus vs. a true
>>>9800pro with a 256bit bus. Makes a big difference in the performance of
>>
>> the
>>
>>>card. For a real 9800pro you're looking at around $200.
>>>I sure wise I had a Dad that would buy me a 9800pro for Christmas :) JLC
>>>

> Just for info most Sapphire cards are called Atlantis. Atlantis does NOT
> necessarily mean they are stripped down. They can be either 128bit or
> 256bit. The 9800Pro SE is definitely 128bit. Make sure you go for the
> 256bit. Shaun

Yes but at $143 you can pretty much bet that these are the 128bit models.
And I don't think that the name Atlantis stands for what it used to when it
comes to Sapphire cards. The Atlantis line used to be their top quality card
that came with a Zalman fan less heatsink. But since Sapphire introduced
their 128bit cards, these now carry the Atlantis name. Why they would do
something like this is very confusing. JLC

> The specs are in the first posting that I made.

So when you say Ghz cpu's you mean 1Ghz? JLC

shawk

JLC wrote:

>>Just for info most Sapphire cards are called Atlantis. Atlantis does NOT
>>necessarily mean they are stripped down. They can be either 128bit or
>>256bit. The 9800Pro SE is definitely 128bit. Make sure you go for the
>>256bit. Shaun
>

> Yes but at $143 you can pretty much bet that these are the 128bit models.
> And I don't think that the name Atlantis stands for what it used to when it
> comes to Sapphire cards. The Atlantis line used to be their top quality card
> that came with a Zalman fan less heatsink. But since Sapphire introduced
> their 128bit cards, these now carry the Atlantis name. Why they would do
> something like this is very confusing. JLC

Hi JLC. You could well be right. However I use overclockers in the UK
and all their Sapphire line seems to be Atlantis still, both 256 and
128bit.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/9700_to_9800_Series.html

I also have a 9800Pro Atlantis and it's 256bit (though it's a year or so
old now). Seems to be buyer beware on this stuff. Shaun

Sorry guys I just read the original message and it appears that I left out
the 2 - they each have 2GHz Pentium processors PC's with 512MB DDR Ram.
Hope that helps - Any suggestions as to the correct model of Video Card or
the best buy for the buck would be appreciated.
Chris

"HHI" <chris-james@comcast.net> wrote in message
> My sons all 3 of them want this ATI (Sapphire) Radeon 9800 Atlantis for
xmas
> it is selling for $143, Since I am new to the world of Video Cards can
> someone tell me if this is a bargain or not. I believe they are wanting to
> play Doom III and they all have GHz machines with 512MB DDR. Any help or
> suggestions as to what to buy would be appreciated.

You can find 9800Pro cards with an 256-bit memory interface for about $200.
The price difference between that and the 128-bit card is commensurate with
performance. The 256-bit card can attain over 50 fps in Doom 3 on
high-quality settings, so it will deliver smooth gameplay.