unauthorized access by someone? cannot format hdd.

May 14, 2005 3:54:01 AM

I want to format my hard drive as I have major probs with it, but I can't as
other programs are being used??? I have located program files that are being
used by an unauthorized user??? and try to delete but this doesn't work. How
can I bump them off? I am relatively green when it comes to this stuff, and
am considering using a big hammer to solve the computer probs. (Don't think
that will work either but it would do wonders for my frustration! Thanks
--
cleo
Anonymous

shellsta wrote:
> I want to format my hard drive as I have major probs with it, but I can't as
> other programs are being used??? I have located program files that are being
> used by an unauthorized user??? and try to delete but this doesn't work. How
> can I bump them off? I am relatively green when it comes to this stuff, and
> am considering using a big hammer to solve the computer probs. (Don't think
> that will work either but it would do wonders for my frustration! Thanks

It sounds like you're trying to format the drive containing the
system volume from within WinXP. You can't. This would be the computer
equivalent of sawing off the tree limb you're sitting on, and WinXP is
"too smart" to allow this.

Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

HOW TO Install Windows XP

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
May 14, 2005 12:45:27 PM

shellsta wrote:
|| I want to format my hard drive as I have major probs with it, but I
|| can't as other programs are being used??? I have located program
|| files that are being used by an unauthorized user??? and try to
|| delete but this doesn't work. How can I bump them off? I am
|| relatively green when it comes to this stuff, and am considering
|| using a big hammer to solve the computer probs. (Don't think that
|| will work either but it would do wonders for my frustration! Thanks
|| --
|| cleo

It's not normal to be able to format the drive that Windows is installed on
when in Windows!
Boot from the Windows CD and format the HDD from there.

--
Gordon Burgess-Parker
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk