Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Anyone know if I have a problem. I have listed as a
program, but when I ran the removal program from the
microsoft website, it says that TV Media is not
installed, but it still appears on the list of programs
in the Program directory. Also when I try to uninstall
using Control Panel, it asks for a security code to
uninstall, which I have never seen before and makes me
suspicious to try and remove it. Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Malke

Bob wrote:

> Anyone know if I have a problem. I have listed as a
> program, but when I ran the removal program from the
> microsoft website, it says that TV Media is not
> installed, but it still appears on the list of programs
> in the Program directory. Also when I try to uninstall
> using Control Panel, it asks for a security code to
> uninstall, which I have never seen before and makes me
> suspicious to try and remove it. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

TVMedia is malware which you need to get off your computer. Frankly, I
haven't found the MS TVMedia removal tool to be at all useful. Here are
general malware removal steps:

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
my website here:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

TV Media is a nasty piece of spyware and the uninstall is bogus. See
http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/TVMedia.html for more information. You
probably have other parasites also. Start by downloading and running
Adaware and Spybot. Suggest also SpywareBlaster to help prevent against
reinfection. Links to all of these are at
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html
--

"Bob" <brokerbob51@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Anyone know if I have a problem. I have listed as a
> program, but when I ran the removal program from the
> microsoft website, it says that TV Media is not
> installed, but it still appears on the list of programs
> in the Program directory. Also when I try to uninstall
> using Control Panel, it asks for a security code to
> uninstall, which I have never seen before and makes me
> suspicious to try and remove it. Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Addendum - There is also a specific TV Media removal tool at

From: "Bob" <brokerbob51@sbcglobal.net>

| Anyone know if I have a problem. I have listed as a
| program, but when I ran the removal program from the
| microsoft website, it says that TV Media is not
| installed, but it still appears on the list of programs
| in the Program directory. Also when I try to uninstall
| using Control Panel, it asks for a security code to
| uninstall, which I have never seen before and makes me
| suspicious to try and remove it. Any suggestions would be
| appreciated.

Dump the contents of the IE Temporary Internet Folder cache (TIF)
Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Internet Options --> Delete Files

Dump the contents of the Mozilla FireFox Cache { if you use FireFox }
Tools --> Options --> Privacy --> Cache --> Clear

1) Download the TrendMicro Sysclean Front End

Download the utility SYSCLEAN_FE at the following URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
SYSCLEAN_FE automates the download and execution process of the Trend Sysclean Package.
Direct URL --
http://www.ik-cs.com/programs/virtools/Sysclean_FE.exe

2) Download and install Ad-aware SE
(free personal version v1.05)
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
Update Ad-aware with the latest definitions and then exit the software.

3) Execute; SYSCLEAN_FE.EXE
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
when you get to the menu dhoose [1] so you can boot into Safe Mode.

4) If you are using WinME or WinXP, disable System Restore

5) Reboot your PC into Safe Mode and shutdown as many applications as possible.

6) Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a full scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

7) Restart your PC and perform a "final" Full Scan of your platform
Execute; c:\sysclean\SYSCLEAN_FE.BAT
{ or Double-click on 'SYSCLEAN_FE Link' in c:\sysclean }
Choose [2] on the menu and let SYCLEAN.COM scan your computer.
when done, execute Ad-aware SE and perform a final scan of your PC and delete
all objects found.

8) If you are using WinME or WinXP,Re-enable System Restore and re-apply any
System Restore preferences, (e.g. HD space to use suggested 400 ~ 600MB),

9) Reboot your PC.

10) If you are using WinME or WinXP, create a new Restore point

Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm