Monitor error "Out of Range" with ATI Catalyst 4.12 driver..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b C Monitor
December 18, 2004 1:20:05 AM

I updated my ATI Catalyst driver from version 4.09 to 4.12. Then when I
launch Grand Theft Auto Vice City I get a monitor error, "Out of
Range." The only other game I have is Far Cry and it runs without any
problem. I did not notice any other video problems. If I reinstall
driver 4.09 the problem goes away. Reinstall 4.12 again and the problem
recurs. My display setting refresh rate is, and always has been since I
got the monitor a year ago, 60 hz, 1280x1024, 32 bit color. GTAVC runs
at 1024x768x32.

System: P4 2.8ghz, 1gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128, Planar PX191 LCD
monitor, Windows XP Pro SP2.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 18, 2004 9:14:44 PM

"miken" <mikengroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I updated my ATI Catalyst driver from version 4.09 to 4.12. Then when I
> launch Grand Theft Auto Vice City I get a monitor error, "Out of
> Range." The only other game I have is Far Cry and it runs without any
> problem. I did not notice any other video problems. If I reinstall
> driver 4.09 the problem goes away. Reinstall 4.12 again and the problem
> recurs. My display setting refresh rate is, and always has been since I
> got the monitor a year ago, 60 hz, 1280x1024, 32 bit color. GTAVC runs
> at 1024x768x32.
>
> System: P4 2.8ghz, 1gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128, Planar PX191 LCD
> monitor, Windows XP Pro SP2.

In the ATI control panel, did you set the refresh rate override to "same as
desktop" or 60Hz under the monitor settings? Please post a follow-up if
this works or not.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 19, 2004 4:46:38 AM

I am not sure understand the question. In the ATI contol panel, as
well as basic display settings, the refresh rate is set at 60 hz. I
don't see an option for refresh rate override. I am looking at the
control panel for Catalyst driver version 4.09, which is what is
currently installed. Is there a refresh rate override in version 4.12
that is not in versions 4.09? If so, I will reinstalll 4.12 and take a
look. When I had 4.12 installed (as well as 4.09), I did not change any
of the ATI control panel defaults. I left everything as it was right
after installation.
a b C Monitor
December 19, 2004 3:14:07 PM

>I am not sure understand the question. In the ATI contol panel, as
> well as basic display settings, the refresh rate is set at 60 hz. I
> don't see an option for refresh rate override. I am looking at the
> control panel for Catalyst driver version 4.09, which is what is
> currently installed. Is there a refresh rate override in version 4.12
> that is not in versions 4.09? If so, I will reinstalll 4.12 and take a
> look. When I had 4.12 installed (as well as 4.09), I did not change any
> of the ATI control panel defaults. I left everything as it was right
> after installation.

I cannot be sure if the refresh rate override option was in the 4.09
drivers. My big computer is not handy at the moment, but I believe off-hand
that the tab in the ATI Control Panel is under "Displays". There should be
a button in there you can click on (probably FPD in your case) and there
should be an option where you can force the refresh rate when running
programs. I always use the "same as desktop" option.

I hope this helps. Again, I'm not sure if this feature was yet implemented
with the 4.09's. Prior to this, I was using a program called RefreshLock,
although it's not as good as the ATI option for forcing refresh rates. If
need be, I can probably come up with more detailed instructions later on
today.
December 19, 2004 11:18:06 PM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "miken" <mikengroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I am not sure understand the question. In the ATI contol panel, as
>> well as basic display settings, the refresh rate is set at 60 hz. I
>> don't see an option for refresh rate override. I am looking at the
>> control panel for Catalyst driver version 4.09, which is what is
>> currently installed. Is there a refresh rate override in version 4.12
>> that is not in versions 4.09? If so, I will reinstalll 4.12 and take a
>> look. When I had 4.12 installed (as well as 4.09), I did not change any
>> of the ATI control panel defaults. I left everything as it was right
>> after installation.
>>

> I cannot be sure if the refresh rate override option was in the 4.09
> drivers. My big computer is not handy at the moment, but I believe
> off-hand that the tab in the ATI Control Panel is under "Displays". There
> should be a button in there you can click on (probably FPD in your case)
> and there should be an option where you can force the refresh rate when
> running programs. I always use the "same as desktop" option.
>
> I hope this helps. Again, I'm not sure if this feature was yet
> implemented with the 4.09's. Prior to this, I was using a program called
> RefreshLock, although it's not as good as the ATI option for forcing
> refresh rates. If need be, I can probably come up with more detailed
> instructions later on today.

Thanks for that info NightSky. I'm still using Refresh Lock, have been for
years. I've always just used it because it's always worked great for me. I'm
not up on what ATI has been up to when it comes to this issue. I'll have to
check it out. Can you tell me why it works better then Refresh Lock? Thanks,
JLC
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 19, 2004 11:18:07 PM

"JLC" <j.jc@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Thanks for that info NightSky. I'm still using Refresh Lock, have been for
> years. I've always just used it because it's always worked great for me.
> I'm not up on what ATI has been up to when it comes to this issue. I'll
> have to check it out. Can you tell me why it works better then Refresh
> Lock? Thanks, JLC

RefreshLock is generally very good, but I found that some games gave me
funny errors or simply dumped me to the desktop when using it. With certain
games, like Grand Theft Auto 3 (for example), it was a hit-and-miss affair
getting the game to work. With the ATI option to force refresh rates in
games, I never have problems. I know you can tweak RefreshLock, and I did
to some degree, but I could never quite get perfection from it. Still, for
a while, it was a Godsend since playing games at 60Hz refresh on a CRT is
brutal! :-)
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2004 12:41:10 AM

Thanks NightSky. I did find that setting in Version 4.09. Now that I
know where to look, I will reload Version 4.12 later this week and see
if using the "same as desktop" option resolves the problem I had with
4.12. I will let you know what happens.

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "miken" <mikengroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I am not sure understand the question. In the ATI contol panel, as
> > well as basic display settings, the refresh rate is set at 60 hz. I
> > don't see an option for refresh rate override. I am looking at the
> > control panel for Catalyst driver version 4.09, which is what is
> > currently installed. Is there a refresh rate override in version
4.12
> > that is not in versions 4.09? If so, I will reinstalll 4.12 and
take a
> > look. When I had 4.12 installed (as well as 4.09), I did not change
any
> > of the ATI control panel defaults. I left everything as it was
right
> > after installation.
> >

> I cannot be sure if the refresh rate override option was in the 4.09
> drivers. My big computer is not handy at the moment, but I believe
off-hand
> that the tab in the ATI Control Panel is under "Displays". There
should be
> a button in there you can click on (probably FPD in your case) and
there
> should be an option where you can force the refresh rate when running

> programs. I always use the "same as desktop" option.
>
> I hope this helps. Again, I'm not sure if this feature was yet
implemented
> with the 4.09's. Prior to this, I was using a program called
RefreshLock,
> although it's not as good as the ATI option for forcing refresh
rates. If
> need be, I can probably come up with more detailed instructions later
on
> today.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
December 21, 2004 5:44:33 AM

Thanks NightSky. I confirmed that the version 4.09 driver has the
refresh rate override option.

So I uninstalled 4.09 and reinstalled 4.12. In the ATI display options
under Monitor Properties the DDC Information says my monitor can
support a maximum resolution of 1920x1280 at 75 hz. So I unchecked "Use
DDC Information" and set the maximum resolution at 1280x1024 and
maximum refresh at 70 hz (If I set the maximum refresh rate to 60 hz
the maximum resolution reverts to 1920x1024). I then set the refresh
rate override to "same as desktop," which is 60 hz. I also tried
setting the refresh rate override to 60 hz. So it should not be running
above 1280x1024 and 60 hz. Still, I get the monitor error, "Out of
Range" when I try to run GTA Vice City.

Should I give up on the version 4.12 drivers or are there other
settings I might be missing?
!