Your question
Closed

Blizzard Auctioning World of Warcraft Server Hardware

Last response: in News comments
October 15, 2011 9:34:45 AM

Milk the idiots for more money.
Score
October 15, 2011 9:41:15 AM

The net proceeds from the auction will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
Score
Related resources
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 15, 2011 9:44:20 AM

'' know it's not just a piece of discarded junk with an additional commemorative plaque signed by the World of Warcraft team''
Score
October 15, 2011 9:56:34 AM

I'd rather donate the money to the "occupy" for their encampments...
Score
October 15, 2011 9:57:27 AM

wow, that was a post fail wtf...should have read...

occupy"insert city"
Score
October 15, 2011 9:59:11 AM

yeah,
net proceeds= gross proceeds - auction operating expense
So, technically ironmb is right.
Score
October 15, 2011 10:00:48 AM

This might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions
ironmbMilk the idiots for more money.

What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.
Score
October 15, 2011 10:24:35 AM

Besides, they do it for charity. Blizzard doesn't need lots of publicity really, I doubt they get much from the charity except a tax break maybe.
Score
October 15, 2011 10:35:22 AM

The real question are these things still functional. I don't play WoW but i am always looking to pick up servers/server parts on the cheap(though i doubt they will be). Plus i would be supporting a good cause as well ^_^;
Score
October 15, 2011 1:01:28 PM

CryogenicThis might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.

It's still milking their fanbase for more money. They'll pay extra just to get the WoW logo and the server's "super history"...
Score
October 15, 2011 1:02:35 PM

Also how do you have net proceeds on something that's second hand? They cost lets say 10x when Blizzard bought them new, they sell them for 5x....oh $0 in net proceeds!
Score
October 15, 2011 1:03:43 PM

blast the unsold remains into outer space as a science experiment.
Score
October 15, 2011 1:18:03 PM

**ALERT**

Starting Nov 5th, Blizzard will be auctioning off replica pens of the real pens used by Blizzard employees to make notes, draw pictures on napkins, and write obscene things on the bathroom stalls. These pens were used by the real blizzard employees, including janitors, window washers, and mail room operates, and some worthless crab.

Proceeds will first be offset by costs of collecting said pens from said employees and then will be distributed to several organizations that will introduce new players to World of Warcraft and the upcoming Titan.

Tune in next week for used toilet papers by the actual designers!

**End Alert**
Score
October 15, 2011 2:13:09 PM

By "friendly rivalries" does he mean calling each other noobs and cursing at them?
Score
October 15, 2011 2:14:25 PM

I'm guessing you didn't see the part about the proceeds going to charity.
Score
October 15, 2011 2:38:18 PM

spoofedpacketI'm guessing you didn't see the part about the proceeds going to charity.

i am sure that not all of the funds will go to charity....there is a catch somewhere, there always is
Score
October 15, 2011 3:33:03 PM

All the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.

What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?
Score
October 15, 2011 4:04:21 PM

schmichIt's still milking their fanbase for more money. They'll pay extra just to get the WoW logo and the server's "super history"...

It's not milking unless Blizzard keeps the money. This is a donation sponsored by Blizzard where they happen to give you a "prize."
Score
October 15, 2011 4:05:56 PM

CazalanThe net proceeds from the auction will benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

"Net proceeds" is a questionable term.
Score
October 15, 2011 4:52:42 PM

cloudberry"Net proceeds" is a questionable term.

It is if you failed accounting in high school.
Score
Anonymous
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 15, 2011 4:55:51 PM

Blizzard has made a ridiculous amount of money I dont think they are trying to milk anyone for any more money than they already have. This is free press like thaile4ever stated. But it is a good thing they are doing. Considering how much these nerds who play WoW would pay for a piece of their "history" this could do a lot of good. Id rather a nerd give a boatload of money for a server gathering dust that has intrinsic value to them than it get thrown in an industrial compactor, and that money go to cancer research
Score
October 15, 2011 5:06:07 PM

thaile4everAll the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?

Actually they donate the Net proceeds to charity because they can take a bigger Tax Deduction on the parts that way than they ever could get reselling the Used parts -- they can claim a charitable deduction for the donated proceeds instead of the retail value of the Used parts which have probably already been written off so have no book value at present so they turn a tidy profit by donating the proceeds instead of having to pay taxes on the sale of the old equipment.
Score
October 15, 2011 5:19:51 PM

CryogenicThis might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions
What are they supposed to do with them? Besides those racks can still be useful for someone, the attached WoW logo is just for marketing purposes. Otherwise I'm sure they are functional server hardware they are selling which someone can use.

Wrong, they are not functional. This from WoW's site...

Q: Is the server blade functional?
A: The HP server blade is not functional and contains no World of Warcraft or Blizzard-related data. It's a barebones retired HP server blade, and is intended as a unique collector’s item and not a piece of functioning hardware.
Score
October 15, 2011 5:33:19 PM

thaile4everAll the money blizzard will be making is going to charity. Of course you have things like ebay fees, paypal fees, listing fees, and the seller fees, which is why they said Net Profit.What Blizzard is getting is Free PR. They had all these server sitting around gathering dust and instead of throwing them out they decided to auction them from a charity. Why do people try and make a conspiracy theory out of everything?

I am far from a conspiracy theorist, but I know Bobby Kotick's history. I also played WoW from launch until this past June. My observing them post merger makes me question their motives.

Something along the lines of "We don't have the time to include the content for Wrath/Cataclysm we talked about" becomes days later "We have this new pet/mount on the Blizzard store". And of course with the latest pet they just announced a few days ago, it won't be like the previous pets where if you buy it and it unlocks on all characters. No, if you buy it, you can use it on a SINGLE character so if you want it on more then one, you have to buy more copies of it.

Then there was the original intention of making Real ID grouping only available for premium fee. This would have made World of Warcraft the first pay-to-pay-to-play game. The plan was only cancelled after player uproar.

So unless you have examples of Blizzard's altruism post merger where Vivendi made Kotick CEO of Activision Blizzard, don't try to make those who question Blizzard's motives seem like wacky conspiracy theorists. The above cited things are only a few of the many things that can be brought up.
Score
October 15, 2011 5:34:34 PM

Who cares? Give die-hard fans of World of Warcraft something to collect, and help St. Jude Children's Research Hospital at the same time. Sure Blizzard gets more PR because of it, and they may even be able to write off some taxes (doubt it, but maybe).

But still, win-win-win situation for all parties involved.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:22:10 PM

December 2: Vivendi announced that their subdivision Vivendi Games would be merging Activision to form Activision Blizzard. Vivendi will be the major shareholder in this merger holding a 52% to 48% (pending results of the tender offer) stake of the newly formed company.

Vivendi owns Blizzard, they merged with Actvision and own 52%. Activision and Blizzard cannot tell each other what to do; only Vivendi can tell them what to do. Now stop talking out of your ass. Blizzard and Activision have no relationship besides the merger. Now that we have all that cleared up.

Charities are awesome. Who cares how much Blizzard keeps. It's going to a good cause with whatever amount that is left over. Stop being retarded. If you don't want to participate and want to donate, cut a check to St. Jude's and mail it personally.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:23:40 PM

Any money they give to charity is a tax write of for them. It's just an expense for the person buying it. Do yourself a favor and donate to the charity directly and watch your tax liability decrease.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:33:03 PM

Forgot to add the year 2007 to the end of December 2nd. And also the hierarchy of CEO/President.

Vivendi CEO: Jean-Bernard
Activision CEO: Robert Kotick
Blizard Entertainment CEO (President): Micahel Morhaime

So, Jean-Bernard tells Mr. Kotick and Mr. Morhaime what to do. Acitivion and Blizzard don't tell each other what to do. Not a hard concept.

And that's true too bak0n. Unless a server blade is important to you, participate and cut a check personally for a tax write off at the end of the year. At least you're contributing. I have no doubt St. Jude's will receive a gigantic check from the sale though. Blizzard is pretty generous.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:53:31 PM

ErusidhionForgot to add the year 2007 to the end of December 2nd. And also the hierarchy of CEO/President.Vivendi CEO: Jean-BernardActivision CEO: Robert Kotick Blizard Entertainment CEO (President): Micahel MorhaimeSo, Jean-Bernard tells Mr. Kotick and Mr. Morhaime what to do. Acitivion and Blizzard don't tell each other what to do. Not a hard concept.And that's true too bak0n. Unless a server blade is important to you, participate and cut a check personally for a tax write off at the end of the year. At least you're contributing. I have no doubt St. Jude's will receive a gigantic check from the sale though. Blizzard is pretty generous.

Except you don't have it quite correct. While Blizzard and Activision remaion seperate entities, Vivendi also merged them into Activision Blizzard to replace the Vivendi Games division. Activision and Blizzard are underneath the Activision Blizzard division. Vivendi then made Kotick the CEO of this new division. Thus is he OVER both Activision and Blizzard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

You will see quite clearly Bobby Kotick is the CEO of Activision Blizzard, not merely Activision, of which Activision and Blizzard are both listed as subsidiaries of. While you are correct that Activision can not tell Blizzard what to do, Bobby Kotick, the man who ruined Activision, can as he is indeed in charge.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:11:48 PM

To follow up on this little tiff on ActiBlizz, Here is some more links and notes on Kotick

From http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?Releas...
Eric Hirshberg Named CEO of Activision Publishing

So no, Bobby Kotick is NOT CEO of Activision. He has not been for at least 2 years. Hirshberg is actually the SECOND CEO of Activision since Kotick became CEO of Activision Blizzard since Hirshberg replaced Mike Grifith.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard
Bobby Kotick, once head of Activision, was announced to become President and CEO of Activision Blizzard.

You will see the word "once", as in formerly, as in past tense.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision
The new company is called Activision Blizzard and is headed by Activision's former CEO, Robert Kotick.

Do you see the word "FORMER" in that sentence?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick
Kotick engineered the Activision Blizzard merge, and stockholders of Activision Blizzard approved Kotick as CEO of the combined company on July 9, 2008

While I am glad St.Jude will be getting some good money (possibly) from this, do not in any way think that a company headed up by Bobby Kotick is doing anything just for charity without some benefit coming to them. this man has ruined Activision's name and is quickly doing the same to Blizzard. He is the person who has referred to their customers as "resources" and that he views his true customers to be their partners, like Facebook.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:54:05 PM

What are the server specs, if there really old servers using something like a 2GHz celeron CPU and 2GB ram, then they are not worth it as you are better off getting a netbook, slapping on a WOW sticker, then using it to host CS source, or TF2 server
Score
October 15, 2011 8:01:15 PM

razor512What are the server specs, if there really old servers using something like a 2GHz celeron CPU and 2GB ram, then they are not worth it as you are better off getting a netbook, slapping on a WOW sticker, then using it to host CS source, or TF2 server

What difference does the specs make? Blizzard has already said these are not functioning. They are merely a collectible item for viewing.
Score
October 15, 2011 8:33:22 PM

wildkittenWhat difference does the specs make? Blizzard has already said these are not functioning. They are merely a collectible item for viewing.

Does that mean they took a drill to every single component, or does it mean a fan failed or a memory stick died?

Those servers take a lot of space, if you are going to spend money on it you at least want it to have some functionality so that you may host something on it, or even turn it into a media server running orb or a something like it (that will transcode in real time to ensure compatibility with any device accessing it)
Score
October 15, 2011 8:37:37 PM

razor512Does that mean they took a drill to every single component, or does it mean a fan failed or a memory stick died?Those servers take a lot of space, if you are going to spend money on it you at least want it to have some functionality so that you may host something on it, or even turn it into a media server running orb or a something like it (that will transcode in real time to ensure compatibility with any device accessing it)

From Blizz's World of Warcraft website...
A: The HP server blade is not functional and contains no World of Warcraft or Blizzard-related data. It's a barebones retired HP server blade, and is intended as a unique collector’s item and not a piece of functioning hardware.

Emphasis added. I seriously doubt they would sell these with any possibility of being used. Most companies take equipment like this very seriously and will break something on it so that it can not be used again in the future.
Score
October 15, 2011 8:46:00 PM

These are HP blade servers, not rack servers. So it seems they are auctioning off the individual servers. Blades do not have power supplies or cooling fans so you can't use them unless you also have the enclosure.
Score
October 15, 2011 9:26:10 PM

Wow everyone, way to over think this. Money going to kids, that's it. gg
Score
October 15, 2011 10:38:12 PM

PR and tax write off subliminal brainwashing pyramid scheme for Blizzard just another new incarnation of Naraku's to lure you into it's trap.
Score
October 15, 2011 10:48:00 PM

spoofedpacketI'm guessing you didn't see the part about the proceeds going to charity.

Yeah 1 penny out of whatever the servers actually go for isn't nothing. Just because someone says it goes to charity doesn't mean it truly is, in most cases its either a small percentage or none at all. Knowing how fucking greedy BlizzardActivision is I doubt they're getting a cent
Score
October 15, 2011 10:55:46 PM

The milk from the idiots doesn't go to Blizzard really at all.

"Q: How much of my money goes to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital?

A: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital will receive 100% of the winning bid on this auction less $50 for the actual costs for creation of packaging, handling, and insurance, any fee associated with the use of PayPal, and approximately 1% for the eBay listing fee."

from: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3710218/Blizzard_Chari...
Score
October 15, 2011 11:39:24 PM

"MOOOOOOOOney", says the cash cow.
Score
October 16, 2011 1:39:17 AM

nebuni am sure that not all of the funds will go to charity....there is a catch somewhere, there always is

There's a lot of labor tied up in moving these parts around, operating/handling auctions, the fixing up and "pretti-fying", etc.

It's a neat thing they are doing. I hope they go for big wads of cash to make it all worthwhile. I never played WoW but won't downplay its success. Kudos to the guy/gal with the auction idea.
Score
October 16, 2011 1:54:24 AM

you guys are looking way to into this. When's the last time you sold something for charity? gg
Score
October 16, 2011 3:20:21 AM

kuharskiyou guys are looking way to into this. When's the last time you sold something for charity? gg

I'm not criticizing charitable donation, but let's look at timing.

As much as anyone wants to say Bobby kotick isn't in charge, that's been proven he is. His motive is profit bar none.

Now, why isn't Blizzard just quietly making a donation? They don't have to. They don't even have to do this. The issue is Kotick is so polarizing it's hard to believe he does anything out of a sense of altruism.

Activision is losing money. Blizzard is practically supporting Activision Blizzard and they are bleeding subscribers. Isn't it just a little suspicious that this charity auction is happening just as it comes time for the 3rd quarter shareholder conference call?

Don't get me wrong, it's good St. Jude will get some money. However, it's not Blizzard's money. It will be the money of the people buying the server blades whose money will go to St. Jude. Blizzard I am sure is going to be making a little something off the overhead before the net proceeds will go to St. Jude.

So let's look at this. Blizzard is selling surplus equipment lieing around which is worthless to them that they can now write off. Other people will be buying these. It will be the customer's money, not Blizzard's going to St. Jude. Blizzard now get's all the good publicity just before a potentially damaging shareholder conference call. And you wonder why people question Bobby Kotick?
Score
October 16, 2011 6:56:10 AM

They also did a charity banquet last year. It's not timing. Who says they haven't given money privately? Although I'm sure they want people to know they are giving back. Once again people just over looking this. They are taking the time to organize this rather then just throwing them in a bucket.
Score
October 16, 2011 7:08:00 AM

Please read the article AND the information page frm Blizzard: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3710218/Blizzard_Chari...

ironmb said:
Milk the idiots for more money.

As already stated:
Q: How much of my money goes to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital?
A: St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital will receive 100% of the winning bid on this auction less $50 for the actual costs for creation of packaging, handling, and insurance, any fee associated with the use of PayPal, and approximately 1% for the eBay listing fee.

cryogenic said:
This might be a chance to get some cheap rack servers, if the auctions

RogueKitsune said:
The real question are these things still functional. I don't play WoW but i am always looking to pick up servers/server parts on the cheap(though i doubt they will be). Plus i would be supporting a good cause as well ^_^;

--> If you have the correct enclosure and OS, it MIGHT be possible. Unknown until someone actually gets a hold of one to try.

schmich said:
Also how do you have net proceeds on something that's second hand? They cost lets say 10x when Blizzard bought them new, they sell them for 5x....oh $0 in net proceeds!

Q: What is this World of Warcraft HP server blade auction all about?
A: This charitable effort allows the community to own a piece of Blizzard Entertainment history. After a series of World of Warcraft infrastructure upgrades, we’ve preserved the retired HP BladeSystem p-Class server blades that once hosted many realms in our archives. These server blades will be made available for auction on eBay , and the net proceeds will be donated to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital®.
--> So what do you do with parts or systems you have already replaced with upgrades?
Score
October 16, 2011 7:22:39 AM

No, this 'charity' auction is still money in Blizzard's pocket. Does nobody here pay taxes and not understand how this stuff works? It's a tax write-off worth the value of the devices they auction. If you are doing this for charity donate directly...why does Blizzard need more money in their pocket especially in the interest of an obvious tax dodge. You purchase something at the auction and you're money is simply offsetting (essentially paying towards) Blizzard's upcoming tax year...and they get to replace their hardware with the funds to boot...

I dunno about you, but I kinda hate paying taxes, let alone footing the bill for someone else. Donate to the charity directly if the cause moves you.
Score
October 16, 2011 7:42:13 AM

Maybe you guys should ask the children that are getting this money what they think?
Score
October 16, 2011 8:32:33 AM

kuharskiMaybe you guys should ask the children that are getting this money what they think?

Yes, they will be getting the money. Yes that's great. But what exactly is Blizzard doing that is deserving of such praise?

They are taking equipment that due to amortization has to be essentially worthless to Blizzard. These aren't their current server blades. These are the ones that were used before they did their equipment upgrades over the course of several months about a year or so ago. They won't sell them as used equipment. Anyone that has a clue about companies like this know they are very protective of intellectual property. It's like how companies will make sure certain parts of a copy machine or PC is destroyed. They will make sure these are very much non functional before they walk out the door.

So instead of recycling them, they are selling them off. Now nothing wrong with that. And the fact that they are given the money they will get from buyers is a good thing and I applaud them. but make no mistake, this is NOT Blizzard donating to charity. This is the buyers of the server blades whose money will go the charity. Blizzard get's the benefit of taking worthless equipment and writing it off as a donation. And even their own thing talks about the amount taken from the purchase price. $50 for packaging, shipping, handling and insurance. Companies like this ship and buy packaging materials in such bulk, it's extremely hard to believe it will cost $50 per unit for that. Then there's the Paypal fee, which hopefully won't be inflated, and then "approximately" 1% for the eBay listing. I wonder exactly what eBay will charge them for the listing.

So they get the tax write-off, they seem to be able to make a little bit of money from the associated fees and then have no other cost to them. The money going to St. Jude will be from the PURCHASERS, ie the customer, NOT the seller, Blizzard.

And yes, I do seriously question the timing. For weeks people on WoW's forums clamored for a Japan Relief Pet. Only after the disappointing 1st quarter conference call did they release one. They didn't even make a new pet. They slightly recolored an existing pet and sold it with the proceeds going to the relief effort. Yet go to Joystiq and MMO Champs and read comments in the stories about that as well as their Make-A-Wish pets where they gave 50% of proceeds made from the pets to that organization. People gush about how generous Blizzard is to give so much money. The problem is Blizzard did NOT give that money. That money is what the customers gave for the pets. Blizzard was out nothing. Had I not bought one, that would have been $5 less for Make A Wish.

Now I am very sure that Morhaime, Metzen, Pardo, Tigole, GC, Samwise, all of them, are very generous and have given personally and as a business, to worthy charities. But make no mistake, this isn't them giving, this is the customer giving. And how sad is it that people don't recognize that and don't give of themselves until something comes along. And buyers of this won't be eligible for a possible tax deduction.
Score
October 16, 2011 10:49:28 AM

Nice a World of dork craft server...
Score
!