ATI AIW 9000 not capturing

Trying to capture playback from a VCR using and ATI AIW 9000 card.
Last night it captured OK, but I discovered this morning that I had
had the recording quality set as "Good" (ATI VCR) rather than "DVD"
(MPEG-2)

So I reset it to DVD and now it won't capture at all. If I set it back
to Good, which worked OK yesterday, still nothing. I click on the
capture icon on the controls, but other than the playback skipping a
couple of frames as it always does when I start a capture, it doesn't
capture anything. If I hover the mouse over the capture icon, I still
get it "start recording" indicating that it didn't start when I
clicked on it. I don;t have the TV on demand toggle on (which, in any
case, grays out the capture icon, and it isn't grayed out) and I have
plenty of disk space.

Any ideas? I was playing around elsewhere in the settings, and I'm
thinking I may have changed something else somewhere.

Using XP Pro if that matters

Brian

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
the presence of computer viruses.

Additionally - as a PS ro my own post - has anyone had any success
using other capturing software with this card? If so, what is
recommended?

Brian

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:23:12 +0000, bigbrian <harry8611@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Trying to capture playback from a VCR using and ATI AIW 9000 card.
>Last night it captured OK, but I discovered this morning that I had
>had the recording quality set as "Good" (ATI VCR) rather than "DVD"
>(MPEG-2)
>
>So I reset it to DVD and now it won't capture at all. If I set it back
>to Good, which worked OK yesterday, still nothing. I click on the
>capture icon on the controls, but other than the playback skipping a
>couple of frames as it always does when I start a capture, it doesn't
>capture anything. If I hover the mouse over the capture icon, I still
>get it "start recording" indicating that it didn't start when I
>clicked on it. I don;t have the TV on demand toggle on (which, in any
>case, grays out the capture icon, and it isn't grayed out) and I have
>plenty of disk space.
>
>Any ideas? I was playing around elsewhere in the settings, and I'm
>thinking I may have changed something else somewhere.
>
>Using XP Pro if that matters
>
>Brian
>

>This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
>solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
>If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager.
>
>This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
>the presence of computer viruses.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
the presence of computer viruses.

I seem to have made this even worse now...

Upgraded to a later version of ATI MMC, and now I can't get playback
at all from the VCR onscreen. Again, I'm guessing there's a setting in
the new software that I haven't got right. Its a composite feed,
correctly set up as such, but there's no playback at all, either audio
or video

Help!!

"bigbrian" <harry8611@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I seem to have made this even worse now...
>
> Upgraded to a later version of ATI MMC, and now I can't get playback
> at all from the VCR onscreen. Again, I'm guessing there's a setting in
> the new software that I haven't got right. Its a composite feed,
> correctly set up as such, but there's no playback at all, either audio
> or video
>
> Help!!
>
> Brian
>

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:23:12 +0000, bigbrian <harry8611@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Trying to capture playback from a VCR using and ATI AIW 9000 card.
> >Last night it captured OK, but I discovered this morning that I had
> >had the recording quality set as "Good" (ATI VCR) rather than "DVD"
> >(MPEG-2)
> >
> >So I reset it to DVD and now it won't capture at all. If I set it back
> >to Good, which worked OK yesterday, still nothing. I click on the
> >capture icon on the controls, but other than the playback skipping a
> >couple of frames as it always does when I start a capture, it doesn't
> >capture anything. If I hover the mouse over the capture icon, I still
> >get it "start recording" indicating that it didn't start when I
> >clicked on it. I don;t have the TV on demand toggle on (which, in any
> >case, grays out the capture icon, and it isn't grayed out) and I have
> >plenty of disk space.
> >
> >Any ideas? I was playing around elsewhere in the settings, and I'm
> >thinking I may have changed something else somewhere.
> >
> >Using XP Pro if that matters
> >
> >Brian

What CPU do you have? What motherboard? Is DMA turned on for your hard
drives? Do you have the correct chipset drivers installed. What version Cat,
capture drivers and MMC are you trying to use?

I would uninstall all of the ATI software and use the Cat uninstaller
program from the website. Install the software from the CD again. The DVD
Player program has the codec for MPG2 so install it even if you don't have a
DVD drive. Unless your system is too slow the AIW should work for capture.

Until you get it working run your cable TV signal through the vcr and
capture that. This will eliminate the chance the AIW thinks its receiving
Macrovision. Its possible the AIW may think its receiving Macrovision even
from a tape you've recorded yourself. Once you have the AIW setup then try
the tape.
HTH

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:43:25 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>"bigbrian" <harry8611@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I seem to have made this even worse now...
>>
>> Upgraded to a later version of ATI MMC, and now I can't get playback
>> at all from the VCR onscreen. Again, I'm guessing there's a setting in
>> the new software that I haven't got right. Its a composite feed,
>> correctly set up as such, but there's no playback at all, either audio
>> or video
>>
>> Help!!
>>
>> Brian
>>

>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 12:23:12 +0000, bigbrian <harry8611@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >Trying to capture playback from a VCR using and ATI AIW 9000 card.
>> >Last night it captured OK, but I discovered this morning that I had
>> >had the recording quality set as "Good" (ATI VCR) rather than "DVD"
>> >(MPEG-2)
>> >
>> >So I reset it to DVD and now it won't capture at all. If I set it back
>> >to Good, which worked OK yesterday, still nothing. I click on the
>> >capture icon on the controls, but other than the playback skipping a
>> >couple of frames as it always does when I start a capture, it doesn't
>> >capture anything. If I hover the mouse over the capture icon, I still
>> >get it "start recording" indicating that it didn't start when I
>> >clicked on it. I don;t have the TV on demand toggle on (which, in any
>> >case, grays out the capture icon, and it isn't grayed out) and I have
>> >plenty of disk space.
>> >
>> >Any ideas? I was playing around elsewhere in the settings, and I'm
>> >thinking I may have changed something else somewhere.
>> >
>> >Using XP Pro if that matters
>> >
>> >Brian
>

>What CPU do you have?

P4 2.4 800 FSB

> What motherboard?

Asus P4P800

> Is DMA turned on for your hard drives?

DMA?

> Do you have the correct chipset drivers installed.

I assume so. It was working OK until I changed the MMC software

>What version Cat, capture drivers and MMC are you trying to use?

Don't know about Cat drivers.....don't think I've ever installed them,
although I have a separate Catalyst CD

I changed from MMC 7.9 to 8.9. Since then, I've tried installing 8.1
and going back to 7.7. 8.1 won't play at all, and 7.7 produces the
same problem as 8.9 (no VCR display to capture)

In all cases, all I've done is uninstall the MMC an reinstall the new
version. I've left all the other ATI software as it is

>I would uninstall all of the ATI software and use the Cat uninstaller
>program from the website. Install the software from the CD again.

I don't still have the original CD, which is why I haven't uninstalled
the other ATI software. The only ATI CD I can find is the Catalyst
disc.

> The DVD Player program has the codec for MPG2 so install it even if you don't have a
>DVD drive.

I do

>Unless your system is too slow the AIW should work for capture.

It always has done before

>Until you get it working run your cable TV signal through the vcr and
>capture that.

I don't use any kind of cable TV. The only thing I use the capture
card for is capturing VCR output to convert to DVD/VCD

I have an urgent need to capture some stuff off VCR in the next day or
two as a Christmas present, and would readily use non ATI software if
it would work (even if it costs), but I don't know what would work.
Any ideas?

Thanks for your response

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 18:43:25 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >"bigbrian" <harry8611@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I seem to have made this even worse now...
> >>
> >> Upgraded to a later version of ATI MMC, and now I can't get playback
> >> at all from the VCR onscreen. Again, I'm guessing there's a setting in
> >> the new software that I haven't got right. Its a composite feed,
> >> correctly set up as such, but there's no playback at all, either audio
> >> or video
> >>
> >> Help!!
> >>
> >> Brian

> >What CPU do you have?
>
> P4 2.4 800 FSB
>
> > What motherboard?
>
> Asus P4P800
>
> > Is DMA turned on for your hard drives?
>
> DMA?
>
> > Do you have the correct chipset drivers installed.
>
> I assume so. It was working OK until I changed the MMC software
>
> >What version Cat, capture drivers and MMC are you trying to use?
>
> Don't know about Cat drivers.....don't think I've ever installed them,
> although I have a separate Catalyst CD
>
> I changed from MMC 7.9 to 8.9. Since then, I've tried installing 8.1
> and going back to 7.7. 8.1 won't play at all, and 7.7 produces the
> same problem as 8.9 (no VCR display to capture)
>
> In all cases, all I've done is uninstall the MMC an reinstall the new
> version. I've left all the other ATI software as it is
>
> >I would uninstall all of the ATI software and use the Cat uninstaller
> >program from the website. Install the software from the CD again.
>
> I don't still have the original CD, which is why I haven't uninstalled
> the other ATI software. The only ATI CD I can find is the Catalyst
> disc.
>
> > The DVD Player program has the codec for MPG2 so install it even if you
don't have a
> >DVD drive.
>
> I do
>
> >Unless your system is too slow the AIW should work for capture.
>
> It always has done before
>
> >Until you get it working run your cable TV signal through the vcr and
> >capture that.
>
> I don't use any kind of cable TV. The only thing I use the capture
> card for is capturing VCR output to convert to DVD/VCD
>
> I have an urgent need to capture some stuff off VCR in the next day or
> two as a Christmas present, and would readily use non ATI software if
> it would work (even if it costs), but I don't know what would work.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for your response
>
> Brian

> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
> the presence of computer viruses.
The Catalyst CD is the original CD. The capture drivers are installed with
the graphics card drivers(theses are called Catalyst drivers or Cat for
short)

Go to Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel and remove all of the ATI
software. After you reboot Run the Cat CD and do a full install. This will
also reinstall MMC. When it installs the DVD Player it may ask for a CD.
Just point it to the Cat CD.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:02:39 GMT, "T Shadow" <knone@zilch.com.invalid>
wrote:

>The Catalyst CD is the original CD. The capture drivers are installed with
>the graphics card drivers(theses are called Catalyst drivers or Cat for
>short)
>
>Go to Add Remove Programs in the Control Panel and remove all of the ATI
>software. After you reboot Run the Cat CD and do a full install. This will
>also reinstall MMC. When it installs the DVD Player it may ask for a CD.
>Just point it to the Cat CD.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I've uninstalled everything and
downloaded the latest versions from the ATI website. ((MMC 9.03, and
other stuff, including display drivers) Now I have capturing back
but.....

Same problem as before. I install the software, and do a capture.
Fine. I try and do a second one and the capture button doesn't start
the capture, whether I change the capture resolution or not. It won't
even do a second capture in the same resolution as the first one.

So I have to uninstall the application, and reinstall it. Then it will
do one more capture in any resolution I set it to, but after that it
won't capture again, until I uninstall and reinstall it again

As I said before, the capture button is still available (not grayed
out). Its just that when you click on it, nothing happens (unless its
the first capture after a fresh installation)

Any ideas?

> Trying to capture playback from a VCR using and ATI AIW 9000 card.
> Last night it captured OK, but I discovered this morning that I had
> had the recording quality set as "Good" (ATI VCR) rather than "DVD"
> (MPEG-2)
>
> So I reset it to DVD and now it won't capture at all. If I set it back
> to Good, which worked OK yesterday, still nothing. I click on the
> capture icon on the controls, but other than the playback skipping a
> couple of frames as it always does when I start a capture, it doesn't
> capture anything. If I hover the mouse over the capture icon, I still
> get it "start recording" indicating that it didn't start when I
> clicked on it. I don;t have the TV on demand toggle on (which, in any
> case, grays out the capture icon, and it isn't grayed out) and I have
> plenty of disk space.
>
> Any ideas? I was playing around elsewhere in the settings, and I'm
> thinking I may have changed something else somewhere.
>
> Using XP Pro if that matters
>
> Brian

> This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
> the presence of computer viruses.

Now that you have the input working. Try to capture from video other than
the tape. It will not capture a copy protected tape and may think it's copy
protected even if it isn't.

If that's not it:

I'll assume the drive your trying to capture to has free space. You have
DX9 and the Windows Media Encoder9 installed too.

Try this from the website. Red X or yellow ! means it has problem but check
like it says if you don't see any.
Go to the DEVICE MANAGER.
2.. Double-click the Sound, Video and game controller and ensure all the
ATI WDM components listed below are present and functioning properly.
a.. ATI Specialized PCD WDM VBI Codec
b.. ATI WDM Rage Theater Audio
c.. ATI WDM Rage Theater Video
d.. ATI WDM TV Audio Crossbar
e.. ATI WDM TV Tuner
f.. Specialized MVD WDM VBI Codec
Right click and select properties for each ATI WDM component and ensure that
the properties state that This device is working properly. If any device is
not working properly, follow these steps:

1.. Select and remove all of the ATI components shown under Sound, Video
and game controller.
2.. Close the DEVICE MANAGER.
3.. DO NOT restart the system.
4.. Install tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6246.exe It should be here
C:\ATI\support\ tv-capture-wdm-6-14-10-6246\Wdm_xp

5.. Restart the system.
Then go to Add/Remove Programs and do a repair on MMC whether you needed to
reinstall the capture drivers or not.
HTH