Administrator Account

Hi,
When I first had my XP machine, I used to switch on and switch off with no
fuss.
I tried unsuccessfully to set up a user account for my wife on my machine.
I could not modify her desktop icons so that they would work. I deleted the
account with the intention of going back to my old ways.
Now my computer requires me to log in with a password every time. I don't
like this. I want to go back to the way it was when I just switched on.
Help!

You might want to try the following:

Go to Start -> Run.
Copy and paste the following into the Open box:

control userpasswords2

Click OK.
Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
computer".
In the box that pops up, enter the user name for the account you
want to logon with. Enter your password twice.
Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
not have a password.
Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.

--
Nepatsfan
"NIOC" <nioc00@oceanfree.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> When I first had my XP machine, I used to switch on and switch
> off with no
> fuss.
> I tried unsuccessfully to set up a user account for my wife on
> my machine.
> I could not modify her desktop icons so that they would work.
> I deleted the
> account with the intention of going back to my old ways.
> Now my computer requires me to log in with a password every
> time. I don't
> like this. I want to go back to the way it was when I just
> switched on.
> Help!

Hi, thanks for reply.
Yes, that did something. However, now what is happening is that the system
is hanging for about fifteen minutes with the XP Welcome screen saying
Windows is loading, and then there is an error message with a continue
option. When I click continue, it asks me for my password. So the problem is
slightly worse...
Regards
Nick

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> You might want to try the following:
>
> Go to Start -> Run.
> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>
> control userpasswords2
>
> Click OK.
> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
> computer".
> In the box that pops up, enter the user name for the account you
> want to logon with. Enter your password twice.
> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account does
> not have a password.
> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired results.
>
> --
> Nepatsfan
> "NIOC" <nioc00@oceanfree.net> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > When I first had my XP machine, I used to switch on and switch
> > off with no
> > fuss.
> > I tried unsuccessfully to set up a user account for my wife on
> > my machine.
> > I could not modify her desktop icons so that they would work.
> > I deleted the
> > account with the intention of going back to my old ways.
> > Now my computer requires me to log in with a password every
> > time. I don't
> > like this. I want to go back to the way it was when I just
> > switched on.
> > Help!

What exactly is the error message you get?
When you enter your password are you able to logon to Windows
with your account?

> Hi, thanks for reply.
> Yes, that did something. However, now what is happening is that
> the system
> is hanging for about fifteen minutes with the XP Welcome screen
> saying
> Windows is loading, and then there is an error message with a
> continue
> option. When I click continue, it asks me for my password. So
> the problem is
> slightly worse...
> Regards
> Nick
>
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> You might want to try the following:
>>
>> Go to Start -> Run.
>> Copy and paste the following into the Open box:
>>
>> control userpasswords2
>>
>> Click OK.
>> Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this
>> computer".
>> In the box that pops up, enter the user name for the account
>> you
>> want to logon with. Enter your password twice.
>> Note: You can leave the password box blank if your account
>> does
>> not have a password.
>> Click OK twice and reboot to see if you get the desired
>> results.
>>
>> --
>> Nepatsfan
>> "NIOC" <nioc00@oceanfree.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > When I first had my XP machine, I used to switch on and
>> > switch
>> > off with no
>> > fuss.
>> > I tried unsuccessfully to set up a user account for my wife
>> > on
>> > my machine.
>> > I could not modify her desktop icons so that they would
>> > work.
>> > I deleted the
>> > account with the intention of going back to my old ways.
>> > Now my computer requires me to log in with a password every
>> > time. I don't
>> > like this. I want to go back to the way it was when I just
>> > switched on.
>> > Help!

Hi, Thank you again for your reply.
The error message was:

"Logon message"
"The system could not log you on. Make sure your user name and domain are
correct, then type your password again. Letters in passwords must be typed in
the correct case"

When I dismissed this message I got a password box. When I typed in the
password, the system was normal.
I think I solved the problem by going back to a restore point predating the
problem and then restoring forward again.
I think it is an XP issue: there is an article which addresses it in the
support FAQs. It looks like a registry problem.

Article ID : 300433
Last Review : August 6, 2002
Revision : 1.0

So, for now, all is well. Many thanks