Wireless connection between 3 computers

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
June 11, 2004 6:29:20 PM

I want to make wireless connection between 3 computers but the problem is
that first and last computer is too far for direct connection. Cloud I use
middle computer to connect those two?

Does XP have possibilities to be gateway?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 11, 2004 6:29:21 PM

If your access point (or wireless router) is at the middle computer, then
you can communicate with all three.

"Predrag Milanovic" <mpele@tesla.rcub.bg.ac.yu> wrote in message
> I want to make wireless connection between 3 computers but the problem
is
> that first and last computer is too far for direct connection. Cloud I use
> middle computer to connect those two?
>
> Does XP have possibilities to be gateway?

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 11, 2004 10:36:40 PM

"TooTall" <TooTall@TooTall.net> wrote in message
> If your access point (or wireless router) is at the middle computer, then
> you can communicate with all three.

Does it meen that I with normal wireless card on middle computer will
not be able to establish connection beetween all three.
Related resources
June 11, 2004 10:36:41 PM

Are you trying to connect computers without a router or access point
of some kind? I think you could establish an adhoc network between two
computers with a "crossover" cable. Not sure about wireless and I
don't think you could connect three computers in that manner.

hawk

Predrag Milanovic wrote:

> "TooTall" <TooTall@TooTall.net> wrote in message
>
>>If your access point (or wireless router) is at the middle computer, then
>>you can communicate with all three.
>>

> Does it meen that I with normal wireless card on middle computer will
> not be able to establish connection beetween all three.

June 11, 2004 10:36:41 PM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:36:40 +0200, "Predrag Milanovic"
<*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>"TooTall" <TooTall@TooTall.net> wrote in message
>> If your access point (or wireless router) is at the middle computer, then
>> you can communicate with all three.
>>

> Does it meen that I with normal wireless card on middle computer will
>not be able to establish connection beetween all three.

Predrag,

If you setup in infrastructure mode, and you install an access point (wireless
router) in the middle, then the access point / router will be a repeater, and
the two distant computers will be within range of the middle. But if you setup
in ad-hoc mode, with each wireless card talking directly to the others, the two
distant computers will not be able to communicate with each other.

Even in infrastructure mode, though, with the two distant computers not able to
detect when each other is transmitting, you'll experience a "hidden node"
problem, which will degrade your bandwidth.
<http://forums.wi-fiplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=2...;

Cheers,
Chuck
June 12, 2004 3:27:11 AM