SP2 issue

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
May 15, 2005 10:59:01 PM

Hi,

There have been lots of reports on various issues after applying SP2.
However, Microsoft strongly recomends that all PCs running Windows XP should
be updated with SP2. Before I can apply SP2 on the Windows XP machine, I
would like to know if it is safe to apply SP2. Will it consume more
resources? or any negative impact after applying SP2?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Best regards,

sc

More about : sp2 issue

May 16, 2005 12:29:42 AM

Hi Shenan,

Many thanks for your help and reference. I have benefited a lot from them.
Many thanks again for your help and info.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]
> goes for hardware and software solutions) is the extent of this
> maintenance - but you may also have to configure your firewall to
> allow some traffic depending on your needs. Also, don't stack these
> things. Running more than one firewall will not make you safer
> - it would likely (in fact) negate some protection you gleamed
> from one or the other firewalls you run.
>

> Now that you have some of the more basic (one-time) things down..
> Let's go through some of the steps you should take periodically to
> maintain a healthy and stable windows computer. If you have not
> done some of these things in the past, they may seem tedious at
> first - however, they will become routine and some can even be
> automatically scheduled.
>

> Tip (6):
> The system restore feature is a new one - first appearing in Windows
> ME and then sticking around for Windows XP. It is a VERY useful
> feature - if you keep it maintained and use it to your advantage.
> However, remember that the system restore pretty much tells you in
> the name what it protects - "system" files. Your documents, your
> pictures, your stuff is NOT system files - so you should also look
> into some backup solution.
>
> I'll mainly work around Windows XP, as that is what the bulk of this
> document is about. I will, however, point out a single place for you
> poor souls still stuck in Windows ME where you can get information on
> maintaining your system right now:
>
> Windows ME Computer Health:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsME/using/computerhealth...
>
> Pay close attention to the sections:
> (in order)
> - Clean up your hard disk
> - Check for errors by running ScanDisk
> - Defragment your hard disk
> - Roll back the clock with System Restore
>
> Now back to the point at hand - maintaining your system restore in
> Windows XP SHOULD be automatic - but I have seen the automatic go wrong
> too many times not to suggest the following.. Whenever you think about
> it (after doing a once-over on your machine once a month or so would
> be optimal) - clear out your System Restore and create a manual
> restoration point. Why? Too many times have I seen the system restore
> files go corrupt or get a virus in them, meaning you could not or
> did not want to restore from them. By clearing it out periodically
> you help prevent any corruption from happening and you make sure you
> have at least one good "snapshot".
> (This, of course, will erase any previous restore point you have.)
>
> - Turn off System Restore.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
> - Reboot.
> - Turn on System Restore.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405
> - Make a Manual Restoration Point.
> http://snipurl.com/68nx
>
> That covers your system files, but doesn't do anything for the files
> that you are REALLY worried about - yours! For that you need to look
May 16, 2005 4:17:19 PM

On a machine that has no viruses or spyware it should be pretty safe. In
other words do a complete scan for spyware and virus with updated antivirus
and antispyware software.

The applications that might be affected are those where a connection needs
to be made to your machine from the outside via the network, be that
internat network or the internet.

That being said you could always just install it, test your apps, try to
resolve any issues that you have. If you really can't resolve the issues
that you can always uninstall SP2

!