Computer Browser service question?

We are in the process of migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.

In the XP SP2 doucmentation , I noticed that computer browser service in set
to Automatic by default.

We are runnig a Win2000 AD domain network.

Why is the computer browser is set to Automatic in WinXP SP2?
Can I disable it only on my XP machine?

Thanks

JP
2 answers Last reply
More about computer browser service question

    The browser service is used to maintain the list of PCs you see in
    Network Neighborhood.

    Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001

    Disable unnecessary services to improve workstations performance
    http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "JP Breton" wrote:

    | We are in the process of migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.
    |
    | In the XP SP2 doucmentation , I noticed that computer browser service in set
    | to Automatic by default.
    |
    | We are runnig a Win2000 AD domain network.
    |
    | Why is the computer browser is set to Automatic in WinXP SP2?
    | Can I disable it only on my XP machine?
    |
    | Thanks
    |
    | JP

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
    Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:41:07 AM

    I knew that.

    Computer Browser
    The browser service is used to maintain the list of PCs you see in Network
    Neighborhood. This is normally a server function. A home user can set this
    to Manual.

    Can I disable it on my workstation in a network environnement?

    Any suggestion?

    Thanks

    JP

    > The browser service is used to maintain the list of PCs you see in
    > Network Neighborhood.
    >
    > Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001
    >
    > Disable unnecessary services to improve workstations performance
    > http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "JP Breton" wrote:
    >
    > | We are in the process of migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.
    > |
    > | In the XP SP2 doucmentation , I noticed that computer browser service in
    > set
    > | to Automatic by default.
    > |
    > | We are runnig a Win2000 AD domain network.
    > |
    > | Why is the computer browser is set to Automatic in WinXP SP2?
    > | Can I disable it only on my XP machine?
    > |
    > | Thanks
    > |
    > | JP
    > |

    > ---
    > Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
    > Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:41:07 AM

Computers Browsers Windows XP