Computer Browser service question?

We are in the process of migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.

In the XP SP2 doucmentation , I noticed that computer browser service in set
to Automatic by default.

We are runnig a Win2000 AD domain network.

Why is the computer browser is set to Automatic in WinXP SP2?
Can I disable it only on my XP machine?

Thanks

JP

The browser service is used to maintain the list of PCs you see in
Network Neighborhood.

Description of the Microsoft Computer Browser Service
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=188001

Disable unnecessary services to improve workstations performance
http://is-it-true.org/nt/utips/utips76.shtml

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"JP Breton" wrote:

| We are in the process of migrating from Windows 2000 to Windows XP SP2.
|
| In the XP SP2 doucmentation , I noticed that computer browser service in set
| to Automatic by default.
|
| We are runnig a Win2000 AD domain network.
|
| Why is the computer browser is set to Automatic in WinXP SP2?
| Can I disable it only on my XP machine?
|
| Thanks
|
| JP

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:41:07 AM

I knew that.

Computer Browser
The browser service is used to maintain the list of PCs you see in Network
Neighborhood. This is normally a server function. A home user can set this
to Manual.

Can I disable it on my workstation in a network environnement?

Any suggestion?

Thanks

JP