Corrupted desktop after installing radeon 9800 pro

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 20, 2004 8:42:39 PM

I get garbled graphics on my desktop. I get wierd efeects in 3d games
life HL2. I have a new HP pavillion a706n. The card i got off if Ebay,
it worked fine at first then i installed some new driver and it's been
whack since, even though went back to the initial installation that
worked. I have since had to unistall (and go back to the cheapo onboard
graphics YUCK!!).
Please, any help would be great!

sincerely,

Richard Oakley
December 20, 2004 9:50:05 PM

> I get garbled graphics on my desktop. I get wierd efeects in 3d games
> life HL2. I have a new HP pavillion a706n. The card i got off if Ebay,
> it worked fine at first then i installed some new driver and it's been
> whack since, even though went back to the initial installation that
> worked.

If it is not your power supply, it is time to RMA the card back to ATI. I
did that once due to game crashing. Turned out it was really bad
motherboard. Be sure power cable to card is not shared with hard drive or CD
ROM. You can verify that card is bad by underclocking memory to see if
problem does away by using ATITool. Try card on friends computer too. I
learned a long time ago, never buy computer stuff off ebay.

Good luck,
Kent