Replace old Geforce2 MX 400 with new Radeon 9200SE?

Hi
I know you are unlikely to be impressed by the choice, but I'm wondering
whether to replace a 32MB Geforce2 MX 400 legacy card with a brand new
128MB 9200SE that just fell my way.

It seems that the extra memory may be useful on a 4 yr old P3 1000 Mhz
system with 768 MB ram. Any thoughts?

Rubix
3 answers Last reply
More about replace geforce2 radeon 9200se

    "Rubix" <chessmaster@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I know you are unlikely to be impressed by the choice, but I'm wondering
    > whether to replace a 32MB Geforce2 MX 400 legacy card with a brand new
    > 128MB 9200SE that just fell my way.
    >
    > It seems that the extra memory may be useful on a 4 yr old P3 1000 Mhz
    > system with 768 MB ram. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Rubix

    As far as I know the 9200SE is a DirectX 8.1 card whereas any MX card is
    only DirectX 7. DirectX 8.1 will open up options like pixel and vertex
    shaders (which will make your games look prettier) if your games support it.
    I also suspect that as well as more memory for textures, the 9200SE will run
    at faster speeds so you should get slight better performance to boot.

    A few years back I went from a Geforce 2 MX to a Radeon 8500LE (very similar
    to a 9200SE) on an Athlon 1.2 GHz and the performance gain in things like
    3DMark2001 was very noticeable.

    I would go for it - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

    Glenn

    "Glennbo" <glenns.spambox@tesco.net> wrote in message

    > "Rubix" <chessmaster@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >> I know you are unlikely to be impressed by the choice, but I'm wondering
    >> whether to replace a 32MB Geforce2 MX 400 legacy card with a brand new
    >> 128MB 9200SE that just fell my way.
    >>
    >> It seems that the extra memory may be useful on a 4 yr old P3 1000 Mhz
    >> system with 768 MB ram. Any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Rubix
    >>

    > As far as I know the 9200SE is a DirectX 8.1 card whereas any MX card is
    > only DirectX 7. DirectX 8.1 will open up options like pixel and vertex
    > shaders (which will make your games look prettier) if your games support
    > it. I also suspect that as well as more memory for textures, the 9200SE
    > will run at faster speeds so you should get slight better performance to
    > boot.
    >
    > A few years back I went from a Geforce 2 MX to a Radeon 8500LE (very
    > similar to a 9200SE) on an Athlon 1.2 GHz and the performance gain in
    > things like 3DMark2001 was very noticeable.
    >
    > I would go for it - I'm sure you will not be disappointed.
    >
    > Glenn
    dont get a SE card if you can help it. The LE (in Glenns case)
    was just a slower clocked card but the SE versions are reduced
    bandwidth (64bit instead of 128) and that makes a lot of differance.
    It'll still be a step up from a MX400 but better choices would be
    8500 or 9100 (these have more texture units than the later models)
    9000pro or 9200.
    the nvidia alternative would a simple geforce4 mx440 - it may not support
    shaders but games that use shaders wont run on a 1gig CPU any good so forget
    em.

    Rubix wrote:
    > Hi
    > I know you are unlikely to be impressed by the choice, but I'm
    > wondering whether to replace a 32MB Geforce2 MX 400 legacy card with
    > a brand new 128MB 9200SE that just fell my way.
    >
    > It seems that the extra memory may be useful on a 4 yr old P3 1000
    > Mhz system with 768 MB ram. Any thoughts?
    >
    > Rubix

    I ditched a GF2MX for a Gigabyte 9200 128 mb on a work pc and it picked up
    the pace a bit. On occasion the odd game is played and it is smooth. If it
    is free, why not?

    Shannon

Radeon Graphics