Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Report: First AMD 28nm GPU Due in December

Last response: in News comments
October 15, 2011 12:14:29 AM

Please AMD, don't Fail like you did with bulldozer!!!!
Score
October 15, 2011 12:17:31 AM

i could use an upgrade, lets not delay anything...ok amd?
Score
Related resources
October 15, 2011 12:21:52 AM

Marco925i could use an upgrade, lets not delay anything...ok amd?

Agreed, with BF3 out I need to upgrade asap and it would be nice to get the latest and greatest. I know the 6000 series isn't that old, but I really don't want to buy one now if a new series is just around the corner!
Score
October 15, 2011 12:22:04 AM

Yes, please shift the topic off of Bulldozer, my eyes hurt after that.
Score
October 15, 2011 12:24:09 AM

LMAO, i doubt it will fail like bulldozer :3, comon AMD i like ur gpu, but i don't have enough trust..
Score
October 15, 2011 12:24:38 AM

"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?
Score
October 15, 2011 12:30:39 AM

The fact that XDR2 memory is being used over GDDR5 has me concerned, mainly from the pricing aspect. While the memory is insanely fast, RAMBUS products have not been known to be cheap.
Score
October 15, 2011 12:33:44 AM

BlackHawk91"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?

Prices increase when demand increases in the short run because of limited supply. In the long run increased demand will lower prices when the market adjusts to increase overall production and takes advantage of economies of scale, but in the short run economies of scale in production cannot be realized and prices will be bid up by demanders for the limited supply of a good.

In simpler terms, for the time being TSMC can only produce a certain amount of 28nm wafer and people want more than they can produce, so they raise the price because they can make more profit. If demand for 28nm wafer stays high then they will expand their production capabilities, meaning they'll have more to sell and in order to sell all of it they'll need to lower price.

Yay economics!
Score
Anonymous
October 15, 2011 12:44:19 AM

Blackhawk: It's called "we got you by the balls", it's how business is done today. Your logic is akin saying that companies spend too much money complying with regulations, therefore there'd be more jobs if we just deregulate everything.

Nevermind that the cost of regulation is almost solely in hired labor to keep up with it, but supposedly if they could save money by firing those people, they could then take same said money and use it to hire even more people, even though demand won't suddenly increase to require more production. In addition, we could also enjoy the benfits of lead, mercury and asbestos being re-added to everything, and skyrocketing cancer rates near factories.
Score
October 15, 2011 12:46:23 AM

Interesting, this runs counter to every other rumor/leak I've seen so far. Are you sure they aren't referring to the VLIW4 HD7800 series, which is scheduled to launch sometime in Q4?

Everything I've seen so far points to the HD7900 series launching in Q1 2012 at the earliest.
Score
October 15, 2011 12:50:00 AM

ardcore_conservativBlackhawk: It's called "we got you by the balls", it's how business is done today. Your logic is akin saying that companies spend too much money complying with regulations, therefore there'd be more jobs if we just deregulate everything.Nevermind that the cost of regulation is almost solely in hired labor to keep up with it, but supposedly if they could save money by firing those people, they could then take same said money and use it to hire even more people, even though demand won't suddenly increase to require more production. In addition, we could also enjoy the benfits of lead, mercury and asbestos being re-added to everything, and skyrocketing cancer rates near factories.

except youre completely wrong
http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/the-cost-of-doing-busin...
Score
Anonymous
October 15, 2011 12:53:09 AM

The Six of December is my Birthday (not joking, I can send you my ID/Passport) :D 

AMD, I want a 7990 for my Birthday :D 
Score
October 15, 2011 1:06:24 AM

FU
just bought a HD6970 assuming the next gen wasn't due until early 2012.

Well... december 6th is too late for Skyrim anyway :) 
Score
October 15, 2011 1:26:41 AM

Maybe shoulda waited to upgrade until the Radeon 7000s came out. Oh well, I'm very happy with my 6850 :lol: 
Score
a b À AMD
October 15, 2011 1:32:24 AM

ern88Please AMD, don't Fail like you did with bulldozer!!!!

I don't think it will fail. It has all the right parts: A die shrink that lowers power consumption greatly, more SP uints, faster memory bandwidth, higher clocked stock core and some new features.

If anything the HD7900 series should give better performance at a lower power rating. The HD7800 series and lower will be refreshes of the HD6K series but will as well use much less power.
Score
Anonymous
October 15, 2011 1:52:48 AM

shinobi: Brilliant article from the always on-point WSJ. 10 paragraphs of "uh, hurp-a-durp we don't really know, and we can prove it, but we guess that... based on incomplete data... with a bunch of anecdotal evidence...". I'm a native English speaker and I'm having a hard time grasping what that article was about.

The only thing worse than that article is you choosing to link it at all. I don't see anything in that article that suggests anything other than the cost being labor, or "technical expertise" as they put it, which means, subject matter experts, aka: people who don't need welfare because they make enough money to pay for their own house.
Score
October 15, 2011 2:04:11 AM

Hopefully there won't be any last-minute 6 month delays!
Score
October 15, 2011 2:07:28 AM

jimmysmittyI don't think it will fail. It has all the right parts: A die shrink that lowers power consumption greatly, more SP uints, faster memory bandwidth, higher clocked stock core and some new features.If anything the HD7900 series should give better performance at a lower power rating. The HD7800 series and lower will be refreshes of the HD6K series but will as well use much less power.

the 6 k was a refresh of the 5k, i though that the 7 k would be new arcetecture?
Score
October 15, 2011 2:17:04 AM

BlackHawk91"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?

its the opposite with the laws of supply and demand. demand high=higher prices to meet with the lack of supply. basic economics brah
Score
October 15, 2011 2:56:18 AM

AMD, please us with your new GPUs, but not in the way you 'pleased' us with Bulldozer.
Score
October 15, 2011 2:57:29 AM

quangluu96LMAO, i doubt it will fail like bulldozer :3, comon AMD i like ur gpu, but i don't have enough trust..

Who cares unless you have between $200-$900 to go buy this new ATI video card then be my guess. Don't go and buy a new card because it coming out buy the current one.
Score
October 15, 2011 3:04:29 AM

alidanthe 6 k was a refresh of the 5k, i though that the 7 k would be new arcetecture?

The HD7900 series is based on AMD's GCN (Graphics Core Next). The HD7800 series and below are based on VLIW4, and are basically 28nm revisions of the HD6900 series.
Score
October 15, 2011 3:06:03 AM

TSMC better not F*** it up this time with the production.
Score
a b À AMD
October 15, 2011 3:08:31 AM

if amd gets it right (less worried about their gpus..more worried about their driver support) a raedon hd 7850 with 90watt tdp might be a very good deal.
Score
October 15, 2011 3:28:30 AM

greghomeHigher Demand but not enough supply makes prices go up ......you've really got to read about Economics 001 : Why you can sell coke @100USD if no one else have it

hmmm... Economics 001, what the heck is that? you mean 101... anyone ever had cooking 001?
Score
October 15, 2011 3:36:03 AM

i see x86 addressing...CPU engineers love GPU engineering. so they leave there bulldozer job behind.kekekeke
Score
October 15, 2011 3:54:37 AM

shin0bi272I guess we forgot to post the article about nvidia kepler cards already shipping huh?http://news.softpedia.com/news/28n [...] 4370.shtml

nVidia is only shipping samples....
Score
October 15, 2011 4:00:45 AM

shin0bi272I guess we forgot to post the article about nvidia kepler cards already shipping huh?http://news.softpedia.com/news/28n [...] 4370.shtml

We know very little about Kepler and it's details. An article on a GPU we know close to nothing about shipping as samples is a bit vague. Tom's already had a post about the 7000 series' specs. I would like to see what Nvidia will be doing.
Score
October 15, 2011 5:03:09 AM

When will Nvidia crush you?
Score
October 15, 2011 5:35:33 AM

The Money I saved for Zambezi will go to one of these!
Score
October 15, 2011 6:35:30 AM

Other reasons for limiting availability is the old marketing trick of limiting to create demand. Sort of the old "limit one per customer" routine. Another is to limit inventory exposure if the product fails.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:45:54 AM

shin0bi272
AMD has been sending samples since half a year.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:09:29 AM

laxduck26Prices increase when demand increases in the short run because of limited supply. In the long run increased demand will lower prices when the market adjusts to increase overall production and takes advantage of economies of scale, but in the short run economies of scale in production cannot be realized and prices will be bid up by demanders for the limited supply of a good.

Let's apply this capitalistic myth about mysterious competition to the situation when we have only 1 supplier, shall we?

Maybe we should apply it to the stuff produced by Movie/Music indurstry? With many suppliers, there must be some sort of competition right? Oh wait...

But maybe Pepsi vs Cola? Cola drink costing 50-80% more than directly pressed apple juice sounds just about right, right?
Score
October 15, 2011 7:12:29 AM

So based on bolding, this news is less important than nvidias new nerd glasses?
Score
October 15, 2011 7:26:26 AM

good just come out already! then my upgrade will be done before bf3 comes out!
Score
October 15, 2011 7:26:50 AM

AMD wont fail with the HD7000, after all it is really still ATI in everything apart from name.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:48:09 AM

do something to help us forget about the epic bulldozer failure. Try not to stay quiet for so long this time.
Score
October 15, 2011 7:50:30 AM

not to be a jerk but if supply is high and demand is low = lower prices

if supply is low and demand is high = higher prices...
Score
October 15, 2011 8:25:32 AM

fyaskonot to be a jerk but if supply is high and demand is low = lower pricesif supply is low and demand is high = higher prices...

That is correct, basic law of supply & demand 101.
Score
October 15, 2011 10:55:41 AM

lets see if i'll upgrade from my HD5850 'Evergreen' series card :p 
Score
October 15, 2011 12:03:54 PM

cant wait for the new cards on both sides of the aisle. I am still running my 9800 and it is really showing it's age. Hopefully with the die shrinks and emphases on power efficiency I will be able to get a high end card with the same or lower wattage, but 3x the performance? But then again I will need a board that goes faster than PCIe1.1 :p 
Score
October 15, 2011 12:56:32 PM

Hopefully, it won't be slower than the previous generation, or will it be?
Score
October 15, 2011 1:12:43 PM

without ATI's support AMD would be DOOMED with there crap CPU's. AMD survives solely because of ATI's GPUs sales..........
Score
October 15, 2011 3:13:11 PM

Doomed!!!I don't see it doomed anyway.According to an ex-amd engineer the BD fiasco is only due to lack of fine tuning accompanied with a delayed launch.The future generations of BD would be much more competitive.Also lets not forget the APUs which is the hottest product in mobile and mid end desktop segment.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20111013232215...
Score
October 15, 2011 3:50:55 PM

i know theyre gonna release midrange first, but with the inclusion of the xdr2 memory on the higher range cards... i think we should wait... *fingers crossed*
Score
October 15, 2011 4:31:16 PM

quangluu96LMAO, i doubt it will fail like bulldozer :3, comon AMD i like ur gpu, but i don't have enough trust..

The last release can shake everybody trusting AMD. But at least it's on the same performance level as Nvidia.I expect AMD will be just fine in the GPU market
Score
October 15, 2011 6:06:19 PM

ghnader hsmithotWhen will Nvidia crush you?

Nvidia released a driver that fried its GPU. AMD never did that. Nvidia can't crush AMD. It still needs 2 GPUs to enable 3D while AMD needs only one card. Nvidia's GTX 295 couln't play some games at2560x1600 because it had the very weird "896 MB". This was plain cheap on Nvidia's side. AMD was also the first company to incorporate DDR5 on it's GPUs. AMD also enabled CrossfireX without requiring any additional hardware components while Nvidia needs two nForce 200 bridges to enable Four-way SLI. AMD enables Eyefinity on most of it's cards supporting 3-6 monitors dependnig on the card model. Nvidia on the other hand needs two cards in SLI to support more than 2 monitors. AMD GPUs also consume less power than Nvidia in most cases and lets's not forget the review where 2 HD6950s decimated 3 GTX570s. I have a great respect for AMD even if they don't have PhysX and a proprietary 3D driver.
Score
October 15, 2011 6:08:07 PM

spp85without ATI's support AMD would be DOOMED with there crap CPU's. AMD survives solely because of ATI's GPUs sales..........

.....And ATI's engineers
Score
!