Report: First AMD 28nm GPU Due in December

Status
Not open for further replies.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]i could use an upgrade, lets not delay anything...ok amd?[/citation]

Agreed, with BF3 out I need to upgrade asap and it would be nice to get the latest and greatest. I know the 6000 series isn't that old, but I really don't want to buy one now if a new series is just around the corner!

BlackHawk91

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
The fact that XDR2 memory is being used over GDDR5 has me concerned, mainly from the pricing aspect. While the memory is insanely fast, RAMBUS products have not been known to be cheap.

laxduck26

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?[/citation]

Prices increase when demand increases in the short run because of limited supply. In the long run increased demand will lower prices when the market adjusts to increase overall production and takes advantage of economies of scale, but in the short run economies of scale in production cannot be realized and prices will be bid up by demanders for the limited supply of a good.

In simpler terms, for the time being TSMC can only produce a certain amount of 28nm wafer and people want more than they can produce, so they raise the price because they can make more profit. If demand for 28nm wafer stays high then they will expand their production capabilities, meaning they'll have more to sell and in order to sell all of it they'll need to lower price.

Yay economics!

G

Blackhawk: It's called "we got you by the balls", it's how business is done today. Your logic is akin saying that companies spend too much money complying with regulations, therefore there'd be more jobs if we just deregulate everything.

Nevermind that the cost of regulation is almost solely in hired labor to keep up with it, but supposedly if they could save money by firing those people, they could then take same said money and use it to hire even more people, even though demand won't suddenly increase to require more production. In addition, we could also enjoy the benfits of lead, mercury and asbestos being re-added to everything, and skyrocketing cancer rates near factories.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Interesting, this runs counter to every other rumor/leak I've seen so far. Are you sure they aren't referring to the VLIW4 HD7800 series, which is scheduled to launch sometime in Q4?

Everything I've seen so far points to the HD7900 series launching in Q1 2012 at the earliest.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]ardcore_conservativ[/nom]Blackhawk: It's called "we got you by the balls", it's how business is done today. Your logic is akin saying that companies spend too much money complying with regulations, therefore there'd be more jobs if we just deregulate everything.Nevermind that the cost of regulation is almost solely in hired labor to keep up with it, but supposedly if they could save money by firing those people, they could then take same said money and use it to hire even more people, even though demand won't suddenly increase to require more production. In addition, we could also enjoy the benfits of lead, mercury and asbestos being re-added to everything, and skyrocketing cancer rates near factories.[/citation]

except youre completely wrong
http://blogs.wsj.com/numbersguy/the-cost-of-doing-business-in-the-us-1031/

G

The Six of December is my Birthday (not joking, I can send you my ID/Passport) :D

AMD, I want a 7990 for my Birthday :D

[citation][nom]ern88[/nom]Please AMD, don't Fail like you did with bulldozer!!!![/citation]

I don't think it will fail. It has all the right parts: A die shrink that lowers power consumption greatly, more SP uints, faster memory bandwidth, higher clocked stock core and some new features.

If anything the HD7900 series should give better performance at a lower power rating. The HD7800 series and lower will be refreshes of the HD6K series but will as well use much less power.

G

shinobi: Brilliant article from the always on-point WSJ. 10 paragraphs of "uh, hurp-a-durp we don't really know, and we can prove it, but we guess that... based on incomplete data... with a bunch of anecdotal evidence...". I'm a native English speaker and I'm having a hard time grasping what that article was about.

The only thing worse than that article is you choosing to link it at all. I don't see anything in that article that suggests anything other than the cost being labor, or "technical expertise" as they put it, which means, subject matter experts, aka: people who don't need welfare because they make enough money to pay for their own house.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]I don't think it will fail. It has all the right parts: A die shrink that lowers power consumption greatly, more SP uints, faster memory bandwidth, higher clocked stock core and some new features.If anything the HD7900 series should give better performance at a lower power rating. The HD7800 series and lower will be refreshes of the HD6K series but will as well use much less power.[/citation]

the 6 k was a refresh of the 5k, i though that the 7 k would be new arcetecture?

silverspike

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
[citation][nom]BlackHawk91[/nom]"TSMC reportedly increased its pricing for 28nm products as it noticed substantially higher demand" I'm not an expert but, with a higher demand shouldn't prices drop?[/citation]
its the opposite with the laws of supply and demand. demand high=higher prices to meet with the lack of supply. basic economics brah

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
[citation][nom]quangluu96[/nom]LMAO, i doubt it will fail like bulldozer :3, comon AMD i like ur gpu, but i don't have enough trust..[/citation]

Who cares unless you have between $200-$900 to go buy this new ATI video card then be my guess. Don't go and buy a new card because it coming out buy the current one.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the 6 k was a refresh of the 5k, i though that the 7 k would be new arcetecture?[/citation]
The HD7900 series is based on AMD's GCN (Graphics Core Next). The HD7800 series and below are based on VLIW4, and are basically 28nm revisions of the HD6900 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.